The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ATC active monitors, are you using a pre amp? Monitor Controllers
Old 13th November 2015
Thanks. The MC 624 is not really available anymore. I'm quite intrigued by the ATC CA2, specially if it was made for the scm actives.
Old 13th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp View Post
Thanks. The MC 624 is not really available anymore. I'm quite intrigued by the ATC CA2, specially if it was made for the scm actives.
I am not really sure of your question about a preamp, as though pro gear is not a preamp. Pro gear is the same thing but in different forms, such s mixers, A/D and D/A, DACs, or in some other form. Still give the ATC actives line level input with enough headroom to drive them to full out. SO you can use a wide range of devices to drive ATCs successfully, from low cost mackie mixers (ugh) to high end SSL consoles.

The CA2 preamp idea is more for home hi fi, where you have a 2 output channels, a very small number of 2 channel inputs, no low level sources like microphones, you already have a DAC you will hook up to the preamp. The CA2 is made in the same factory using the same basic topology as the active amp packs, has the right output impedance, but in all the years I have been selling ATC pro, I've never needed to use a CA2 - or any other preamp- in a studio.

What am I missing? The is a home system?

Brad
Old 14th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde View Post
I am not really sure of your question about a preamp, as though pro gear is not a preamp. Pro gear is the same thing but in different forms, such s mixers, A/D and D/A, DACs, or in some other form. Still give the ATC actives line level input with enough headroom to drive them to full out. SO you can use a wide range of devices to drive ATCs successfully, from low cost mackie mixers (ugh) to high end SSL consoles.

The CA2 preamp idea is more for home hi fi, where you have a 2 output channels, a very small number of 2 channel inputs, no low level sources like microphones, you already have a DAC you will hook up to the preamp. The CA2 is made in the same factory using the same basic topology as the active amp packs, has the right output impedance, but in all the years I have been selling ATC pro, I've never needed to use a CA2 - or any other preamp- in a studio.

What am I missing? The is a home system?

Brad
Thanks Brad, I'm glad the CA2 has the correct impedance.

Sorry I wasn't clear on my setup. I have a TC Konnekt 48 with a digital remote, sending audio to my DAD 2402 converters, no analog stage out. I used to set VERY low digital levels ( at different stage of the TC software) to send a low signal to my ( full scale, no volume pot) active Atc SMC50a.

I just read it's not good to turn the digital volume THAT low as it's affecting the dynamic. So I just need a monitor controller, attenuator, console ( I now use my Revox but it's too coloured), or anything analogue to lower the volume in a transparent manner, after my digital signal ( loud and clean) has gone out my DA. A clean hifi "preamp" could do just fine.

I found a CA2 near my place, so if it's suited to my SCM50a, I'll probably give it a try!
Old 14th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tun View Post
Thanks for your replies guys.
Tbh, I find the sound of the speakers a bit 'lacklustre' on some material, just using the (passive) monitor controller section of the Equinox.
Have you considered the program material you're listening to is what's lacking? There is absolutely no reason, aside from your room and speaker positioning, that your rig isn't translating. Adding another gain stage seems like non-sense if you're using this is a studio scenario. I own ATC's and feel no need to add any sort of amp. The same is true of a ton of high-profile engineers and studios.
Old 16th May 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp View Post
Thanks Brad, I'm glad the CA2 has the correct impedance. I found a CA2 near my place, so if it's suited to my SCM50a, I'll probably give it a try!
If you're using active speakers with balanced XLR inputs, you want the SCA2: the CA2 has only single-ended RCA inputs and outputs.
Old 17th May 2016
Lives for gear

Save yourself a bunch of cash and just get one of these ............

ATTY Stereo Attenuator, Studio Volume Control, Line Level Volume Control, A Designs Audio
Old 18th May 2016
Lives for gear

If you are a little handy with a soldering iron then either two DACT CT-2 or two Goldpoint V24, each wired within 20cm of the XLR inputs will work well:
DACT audio attenuators
Compare Attenuator Types

I've used both the DACT and the Goldpoint. Goldpoint also has a version where you can choose your own resistors and solder them in yourself. I have not tried with my own resistors, but I might at some point in the future.

Also, you'd need to modify something like a Neutrik male to female xlr adaptor and splice in between this adaptor the Goldpoint or DACT.

Incidentally, I also have the ATTY which IMO while useful in a pinch (which is why I have one) will not approach the performance of either the DACT or the Goldpoint.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search