The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
building a cable for padding...
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

building a cable for padding...

i send audio in pt to the outs of my 888 into my gr or distressor for some color and back in again into pt and noticed i have to put the input really low on the gr and distressor to prevent clipping.

pt > gr > distressor > pt
pt > distressor > gr > pt

whats the simplest way to build a cable that can pad this so that i can open up the gr for tone and it will not clip. ive tried plugging it into the di in of the gr, but to no avail.

anyone know exactly how to build a cable as such for padding taht works so i can make one.
Old 10th May 2006
member no 666

It's not too tough [though I usually just buy Shure A15AS pads]... but the thing is you probably don't actually need them. Remeber, the Great River is a mic pre so when you go into it line level you're going to pick up a minimum of 5db of gain on the front end of the amplifier. If you come out of the insert point into the EL-8 you'll get a transformerless output from the GR with which you can adjust the input level on the EL-8 so you get your desired level... or... you can come from the regular XLR output on the Great River and pad down the output gain while turning up the input gain if you want to run the Great River a little harder on the front end... or just turn down the in's and/or outs on the EL-8.

You can, without resorting to external pads, do a pretty adequate job of gain staging if you take a little time with the setup.

Best of luck with all you do.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search