The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rossetta 200 and Big Ben?
Old 10th May 2006
  #1
Gear Addict
 

Rossetta 200 and Big Ben?

Hi,

I do most of my tracking/ mixing through the rosetta 200.
Lately i have been considering adding the big-ben to clock the rosetta.
I have heard it can make a difference to the rosetta 800 in terms of better
imaging, tighter lowend etc..
but would there be much of a noticeable difference with the rosetta 200 since
its only 2channels and better clocks really show their worth in places
where tons of conversion is going on?

Thanks
Old 10th May 2006
  #2
Lives for gear
 
espasonico's Avatar
 

I wouldn´t spend the money in the BB having a Rosetta. The clock it´s good enough for me.

I think there are better places to spend that money ( mics, speakers, room, instruments, etc )

If you have everything you need and want to spend some cash then buy the BB, this is Gearslutz anyway.
Old 15th May 2006
  #3
Gear Addict
 

Hi, thanks espasonico,

I just had to revive this thread, I should also metion that while I use the rosetta
for all tracking and mixing, i run it into a presonus firepod via spdif just to get it into the box. Anyone else have any opinions on this, a pro audio guy told me it would tighten up my digital mixes and make them sound less smeared. It sounded like he was just reading the back of the box, and he hadnt heard the rosetta 200 on its own internal clock, but hell if it would help i would give it a go?

Anyone think i should, or that it is a waste and i should be looking at more outboard first? I mix itb to an sslG394 comp.

Thanks.
Old 15th May 2006
  #4
Lives for gear
 
H-Rezz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehall6162
Hi, thanks espasonico,

I just had to revive this thread, I should also metion that while I use the rosetta
for all tracking and mixing, i run it into a presonus firepod via spdif just to get it into the box. Anyone else have any opinions on this, a pro audio guy told me it would tighten up my digital mixes and make them sound less smeared. It sounded like he was just reading the back of the box, and he hadnt heard the rosetta 200 on its own internal clock, but hell if it would help i would give it a go?

Anyone think i should, or that it is a waste and i should be looking at more outboard first? I mix itb to an sslG394 comp.

Thanks.
Ask yourself if you feel your mixes sound 'smeared' , to say that the BB would make them not sound 'smeared' is to suggest that the dual intelliclock is crap and you can only get good results out of the Rosetta 200 if it's hooked up to a BB , this just does not sound right to me ! Will the BB make an improvement over an already good clock and only two channels is more the question , or better yet will it have such a noticable improvement for the money spent or will you have to drag out the sonic magnifying glass to convince yourself the purchase was worth it , questions,questions and more questionsheh

Hope this gave you another perpective at least
Old 15th May 2006
  #5
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz
Ask yourself if you feel your mixes sound 'smeared' , to say that the BB would make them not sound 'smeared' is to suggest that the dual intelliclock is crap and you can only get good results out of the Rosetta 200 if it's hooked up to a BB , this just does not sound right to me ! Will the BB make an improvement over an already good clock and only two channels is more the question , or better yet will it have such a noticable improvement for the money spent or will you have to drag out the sonic magnifying glass to convince yourself the purchase was worth it , questions,questions and more questionsheh

Hope this gave you another perpective at least

Thanks for the response, does anyone have any experience of hooking a big ben to a rosetta 200, and notice any difference, especially in full mixes?
Old 15th May 2006
  #6
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
I need BB for purpose of better synchronizing other digital gears with DAW and preventing clicks, pops etc.
When Rosetta is hooked to BB, it subtly changes its sound and to my experience for better. Many users noticed that and use this setup.
In same time, some recognized experts in this field reject possibility that external clocking is capable to improve internal clock (simply due to technical limitations of Word clock vs internally generated crystal clock resolution)
So, finally seems that external clocking of Big Ben is unlikely to improve good internal clock of Rosetta (and Intelliclock is very good indeed), but in same time the effect of 'relative worsening of internal clock precision' produces pleasant, somehow analogue-like artifacts mostly prasied by Apogee users.
As I use 16Xs series converters now, this issue actually doesn't bother me at all.
Old 15th May 2006
  #7
Gear Addict
 
huarez's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang
I need BB for purpose of better synchronizing other digital gears with DAW and preventing clicks, pops etc.
When Rosetta is hooked to BB, it subtly changes its sound and to my experience for better. Many users noticed that and use this setup.
In same time, some recognized experts in this field reject possibility that external clocking is capable to improve internal clock (simply due to technical limitations of Word clock vs internally generated crystal clock resolution)
So, finally seems that external clocking of Big Ben is unlikely to improve good internal clock of Rosetta (and Intelliclock is very good indeed), but in same time the effect of 'relative worsening of internal clock precision' produces pleasant, somehow analogue-like artifacts mostly prasied by Apogee users.
As I use 16Xs series converters now, this issue actually doesn't bother me at all.
Hi Gyang, did you compare other converters to the 16x ?(I don´t mean the 192 I/O)
Old 15th May 2006
  #8
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by huarez
Hi Gyang, did you compare other converters to the 16x ?(I don´t mean the 192 I/O)
For my music (modern rock, pop) 16x series do the right job, I would say 99%.
Sometimes, on less dynamic material I prefer Lavry Blue.
And yes, I compared thoroughfully and found that DCS, Weiss and Lavry Gold really perform better than Apogee, but IMO not to such extent to justify huge price difference per channel (for sensitive classical music recording it would be different, I guess).
For less cash Lynx Aurora is in similar sonic quality class as 16 x, but without available firewire.
Benchmark, Prism and Mytek offers high quality conversion, but I didn't found any of them 'better or in other way more appropriate' to replace my working horses 16 x. So, many choices for everyone taste.
If you don't consider spending at least 200 k in studio equipment and recording acoustic instruments, jazz or similar, I think that Lynx Aurora, Apogee 16x or Lavry Blue would be more than enough in conversion department.
Old 16th May 2006
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
Firefox's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehall6162
Hi,

I do most of my tracking/ mixing through the rosetta 200.
Lately i have been considering adding the big-ben to clock the rosetta.
I have heard it can make a difference to the rosetta 800 in terms of better
imaging, tighter lowend etc..
but would there be much of a noticeable difference with the rosetta 200 since
its only 2channels and better clocks really show their worth in places
where tons of conversion is going on?

Thanks
try it and see
Old 16th May 2006
  #10
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox
try it and see
That seems pretty obvious, but im not in a position to get hold of a unit unless
i order and buy one.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump