The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OT - is my ear picking up EMFs? ...help!!??
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Nut

OT - is my ear picking up EMFs? ...help!!??

a month or so ago, i noticed a bit of a uncomfortable feeling in my left ear (kind of felt like there was a bit of water in it or something)

overtime it kind of subsided, but not totally.
there was this pumping/kicking/throbing sound on a random basis

now i noticed without any doubt, that it only happens while im surfing the internet! (and pretty much guranteed EVERYTIME I do)
is this crazy or what?!

last night i couldnt fall asleep cause of it (forgot to turn the computer off...but soon as i did.....gone!)

its doing it as i type

help! (im only praying this does/will not affect my hearing)
anyone have a clue what it could be?

(sorry if i posted this in an not appropriate thread, but i didnt know where i should....also i wanted to hear the opinion of professionals although my next step is probably a doctor)
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted demen
a month or so ago, i noticed a bit of a uncomfortable feeling in my left ear (kind of felt like there was a bit of water in it or something)

now i noticed without any doubt, that it only happens while im surfing the internet! (and pretty much guranteed EVERYTIME I do)
is this crazy or what?!

last night i couldnt fall asleep cause of it (forgot to turn the computer off...but soon as i did.....gone!)

its doing it as i type

help! (im only praying this does/will not affect my hearing)
anyone have a clue what it could be?

(sorry if i posted this in an not appropriate thread, but i didnt know where i should....also i wanted to hear the opinion of professionals although my next step is probably a doctor)

See an ear doctor anyway, it's rarely a bad thing for anybody in this industry to have their hearing checked out.

Unlikely to be EMFs!
Is it an internal thing (like the sound of blood rushing in your head when you stick your fingers in your ears) or is it external?

And did you fly at all lately, especially with a cold or any kind of sinus issues?
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by londontown
See an ear doctor anyway, it's rarely a bad thing for anybody in this industry to have their hearing checked out.

Unlikely to be EMFs!
Is it an internal thing (like the sound of blood rushing in your head when you stick your fingers in your ears) or is it external?

And did you fly at all lately, especially with a cold or any kind of sinus issues?
yes, that i will do....

and no i dont think its a blood vain thing.....its this pulsating sound that comes in bursts...
but again, ONLY when i power up my internet machine (old dell)
doesnt happen with my DAW (thank god)
doesnt happen with just the monitor turned on...

it only happens when the dell is turned on (regardless of the monitor) and im pretty sure its only when i go online!

and no i dint fly or have a cold recently.

so weird and disturbing!
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
yes, that i will do....

and no i dont think its a blood vain thing.....its this pulsating sound that comes in bursts...

it only happens when the dell is turned on (regardless of the monitor) and im pretty sure its only when i go online!

and no i dint fly or have a cold recently.

so weird and disturbing!
I s'pose it could be some kind of very low pitched noise from your hard drive or even cd spinning in its drive... but I would have thought that easy to locate by simply putting your ear to your computer when you hear the noise. That said if the computer is making a noise like you're describing it shouldn't be working (if it's hardware related!).

If it's definitely external then you have nothing to worry about medically. I think you just need to try and localize it, which is going to be tricky if it's intermittent but really not much else to suggest!

It isn't something environmental NEAR that computer is it? Like some kind of a/c, central heating, water pipe thing is it? Or some other device? Either way it doesn't sound like it's your hearing, which is a good thing!
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Guru

does your internet machine use a CRT and your DAW use a flat panel monitor?

some monitors put out near-ultrasonic whines that might be felt as a pressure on your ear.

There is a theory that certain people can sometimes 'hear' electromagnetism. there are hundreds (thousands?) of reports of something called the "hiss of the fireball"

People report hearing an instantaneous hissing or crackling sound when viewing a large meteor. Of course the meteor is hundreds of miles away so any sound it makes would be delayed. Some reported hearing the sound while looking the wrong way- i.e. the "power of suggestion" was eliminated.

The phenomenon of 'electronphonic sound' has recently been given some serious scientific study and recent experiments seemed to detect this sound with instruments.

THIS LINK is to an article on the subject.
Old 10th May 2006
Quote:
Sounds like time for a new computer.

If that's the only place and the only time it happens, I wouldn't worry about your health or your ears. Try browsing the internet from a different computer and see if the problem persists.
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:

Hey I know exactly what you mean, I have that too.
It happens sometimes when I type. I get those pumping sounds in my ears for every finger hit on the keyboard..

My theory is that it's a nervous problem related to bad posture or something like that.. but who knows.. I've been exposed to loud noises a lot for 2-3 years in my life, and it might be just plain ear damage.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Do you have your computer on your left side ?
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Nut

i aprreciate everyones advice but to those that keep insisting that it is something i hear.......this is NOT anything that i hear....it is a very obvious 'twitch' that i FEEL and only occurs in my left ear (when i said that it prevented me from sleeping, my left ear was against the pillow)
since my last post i noticed that if i strech the skin around my temple in the upward position, i am able to stop it but soon as i let go, it returns (if the dell is on ofcourse)

joeq, my monitor is a crt (and i use it for both machines with a KVM switch)
but as ive mentioned the monitor alone being on does not cause it, neither does my daw.......only the dell (even without the monitor on)
also the electrophonic link....although interesting, i dont think there is any relation to a flaming fireball here (although i would like to see the dell turn into one)

l.fustons advice is the option i thought of as well and is the one i will take (since ive menaged to narrow down the source of the problem, its obvious what needs to be done)

simon v, your diescription is indentical to what im feeling....
did u ever notice if it is a specific machine that causes it?
or does it happen to u on every computer u use?
any patterns?

thanx all
Old 11th May 2006
Here for the gear

I get the same thing, it used to drive me mental.

I can tell if there's a socket switched on in the room without a plug in it.

I can hear my mobile phone charging up.

It only happens when everything else is silent, so late at night when I can't sleep.

I now make sure there are plugs in all my sockets, turned on or not, and pretty much ignore it.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

I can only add some wild speculation here:

Does this occurr only when both machines are on?

There are some many frequencies going on in a computer - from 60Hz AC power, to audio & video signals to digital clocks in the Megahertz. When two computers are in close proximity, you will get beat notes - sum and difference - between the two.

There are some frequencies that are dangerous to humans - especially very low frequencies. 7Hz is supposed to be the dangerous head splitting frequency. Fortunatley, most audio gear doesn't get down to 7Hz - but it is very possible to create this frequency with beat notes between two sources.

What about fans? Mechanical motor noises could possibly be very annoying in sub-audible frequencies.

I remember a story from the early Disney days. Apparantly some engineers were listening to a movie that was played back at slow speed. The audio was also slowed down, and moved some of the frequencies into that ELF zone. The engineers had traumatic injuries to their bodies as a result. This kind of damage requires fairly large power amps. Weapons have been built using compressed air and long pipes to generate these ELF tones. They aren't very effective, because they are non-directional, and tend to kill the operators.

But I imagine at low levels, they can still do damage. And this is only considering acoustic air vibrations. I have idea what electromagnetic waves in this region could do. Imagine if you had two CPU clocks at, say, nominally 10 megahertz, but the crystal oscillators varied by 7Hz. The two oscillators would create a lower sideband of 7Hz.

Our brains and bodies are very electrical in nature - I find it easy to believe that we are suscptible to electromagnetic frequencies. Of course there are many scientists on corporate payrolls who are required to convince everyone that this is not the case. I wouldn't expect the conservative medical professionals to have any real knowledge on the subject.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Nut

The Man

so youre saying that it is something you HEAR?
is it both ears?

in my case im pretty adamant that it is not something i hear at all...but feel
another way i can try to describe it:
you know when sometimes you have to "unclick" your ears? (usually caused by driving up/down hill or especially taking off in a plane?)
...well its kind of like that, except in only the left ear AND it happens VERY RAPIDLY like in bursts of 1/4 of a second in lenght (maybe around 5 - 8 clicks in that time frame of quarter second)
and these 1/4 second bursts of 5 or so clicks will go in random segments (sometimes 15 or more bursts in a minute, sometimes none or a few)

----

Kiwiburger, u brought up some really interesting stuff
ive read a bit about this a long time ago.

i think it is the basis of bush's weapons in space programs, otherwise known as the HAARP Project (ELF frequency generators designed to change weather patterns and even destroy buildings from miles in space) (i guess they overcame the problem of killing the operators since there are none - remote controlled)

but regarding your question, no both machines do not need to be on at the same time (although i guess the dell could be interracting with some other frequency generating device in the nearby area)

and yea....i wouldnt expect ANY conservative medical 'professionals' to have ANY real and unbiased knowledge on ANY subject

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search