The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API a2d
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

API a2d

I'm very interested in this new pre.. How's the converter sound?
Does it rock?
Anyone!

Rob
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Maybe it's just me, but I totaly dislike the idea of a converter in a analog unit like a pre, eq or comp. Wile the analog chain might be top notche, the ADC will be outdated quick.
I would rather buy a API lunch box and a seperate ADC.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutmeg II.
Maybe it's just me, but I totaly dislike the idea of a converter in a analog unit like a pre, eq or comp. Wile the analog chain might be top notche, the ADC will be outdated quick.
It's not just you. Agreed!

(So to rcn..... get an API pre like you want and consider a Lavry or Mytek for the conversion tasks.... )

j.d.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

I never thought of that... but you're absolutely right.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

I agree. Pre's can become classics (i.e., good investment). I never see this unit becoming a classic because the converters will be a joke in 10 years.

Quote:
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

The API seems to be a great "bang for the buck" unit. Let's face it, you can't get two channels of API 512 mic pre with a lunch box for much less than $1,500, leaving you with $500 for a decent a/d converter, and that's comparing street price of the 512's to the list price of the A2D. Plus, you can use it as just a mic pre if you want to. Overall, it doesn't sound that bad to me.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

it ain't like the pre's will stop rocking after the A/D becomes outdated.

and I would have expected a "3122" 2 channel version of the 3124 to cost about as much as this A2D anyway, so the way i see it its like the converter is free.
Old 9th May 2006
Here for the gear

anyone know if you can simply use the converters on this thing without having to run your signal through the mic pre?
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

yes, you can.

It's got "A to D input" jacks on the back.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourmomsp
anyone know if you can simply use the converters on this thing without having to run your signal through the mic pre?
Yes, it's possible. You can use the pres and the AD separately.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

Yes and it looks like there is MIC Output as well------------- so the AD/MIC pre could be used fully independant of eachother.. I am not a fan of things stuck together but if its flexable thats cool......so bang for buck
Old 10th May 2006

Quote:
You're totally missing the point of this product... It's a 2 channel preamp WITH a converter, that costs as much as a typical good 2 channel unit like a Rosetta 200.

There are obviously people out there who don't need a preamp with built-in A/D. But, there are a lot of people who would love to have a 2 channel API preamp with a converter made using discrete API op amps, etc. Plus, products like this will typically be upgradeable in the future just like something like the Crane Song HEDD is.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

I want it to be Firewire bus powered.

Then we'd be talking!

Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

i was going to get a mini me as my a/d for mixing down to a CD recorder as well as using the pre's to do live stereo recording to a portable CD recorder. now i am reconsidering? should i reconsider? are the mini-me and API a2d interchangeable? (besides size and price of course)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search