The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API 3124 or GERMANIUMS please help
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

API 3124 or GERMANIUMS please help

I have to purchase a couple more pre's and just wanted to hit up the fellow slutz and ask them their opinion between the API 3124 or the Germaniums. I can buy two germaniums then save up and buy an LTD-1 or just save money and buy a API 3124.

I will be doing rock music and would also love to hear what you guys use these pre's on with great results.

THANKS
Old 9th May 2006
lwr
Gear Addict

the 3142 is AWESOME for all things rock!
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Depends on what pres you already have. The Germs are VERY colorful. If you have clean already, you might want the Germs. If you don't have any pres at all, I'd go for the API. Love the Germs, but way too cool to be your only pre. YMMV
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have

Ltd-1
TG Channel
Digi Pre
Adl600
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Music
Love the Germs, but way too cool to be your only pre. YMMV
I still don´t understand why everyone needs so many colors when the records we are trying to emulate where made with only one pre design..
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

So I went to post about what you already own and then got busy doing a couple other things. When I got back and finished my post you had already answered my question.
Since you don't own any API pre's I think the 3124 would be a great fit. I especially like them on drums.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek
I still don´t understand why everyone needs so many colors when the records we are trying to emulate where made with only one pre design..

I don't think everyone is trying to emulate....I'm influenced by certain productions but I have an Idea of my own on how things should sound. And I do enjoy having the choice of a Germ a Neve or an API personally.

In regards to the question...how many channels do you need? 4 germs are alot more pricey than a 3124...you'll enjoy the heck out of either of them
Old 9th May 2006

I would also recommend the API's, as they fill a void in your preamp collection..
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
I don't think everyone is trying to emulate....
Maybe not consiencly, but if you jump into the ¨best records thread¨, most if not all of the those records where recorded with only one pre design.

I know it´s slutty and all, and it feels good to have many options, but it was weird seing the post ¨the germs are to cool to be your only pre¨, damm dude.. if they are to cool then I would want 24 of them!
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe not consiencly, but if you jump into the ¨best records thread¨, most if not all of the those records where recorded with only one pre design.

I know it´s slutty and all, and it feels good to have many options, but it was weird seing the post ¨the germs are to cool to be your only pre¨, damm dude.. if they are to cool then I would want 24 of them!
I see your point..but that's the past and this is now

Hey 24 Germs is a welcome thing in my book
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see your point..but that's the past and this is now

Hey 24 Germs is a welcome thing in my book

I know this subject has come up in the past and I´m being stupid bringing it up again. In the end of this gearslut journey most engineers will end up with say 24 pre´s. And all with different tones and colors. To exagerate a bit it´s like having a burger with lettuce,tomato, onions,cabbage,carrots,cellery,corn, chicken, cheese, beef, pork, beans, it may sound tasty.. but is that what a burger should be like ? personaly no.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know this subject has come up in the past and I´m being stupid bringing it up again. In the end of this gearslut journey most engineers will end up with say 24 pre´s. And all with different tones and colors. To exagerate a bit it´s like having a burger with lettuce,tomato, onions,cabbage,carrots,cellery,corn, chicken, cheese, beef, pork, beans, it may sound tasty.. but is that what a burger should be like ? personaly no.

Again..see your point..but... certain preamps like microphones sound better on some sources than others
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Again..see your point..but... certain preamps like microphones sound better on some sources than others
It doesn´t matter, my point is that a record to my taste has to have the same color throught. Again, this is very personal and what backs up my theory is the best record thread. Even though this is the future not the past, even musicaly we prefer the same drum sounds throught, the same guitar tone, bass tone.. etc.. You probably don´t want 5 different drummers in a record unless you are christina aguilera or something, who´s record will never enter the gearslut charts.. records with to many variables rarely make it to the best records threads.

Ofcourse the Pre´s are of least importance on why those records are on that list, but it is in fact a small contribution. This is a pointless discussion man, I also see your point. I just don´t agree with the variables. Unlimited track counts is a variable that has hurt more than helped how records are made, but I don´t want to hijack this thread into that.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
It doesn´t matter, my point is that a record to my taste has to have the same color throught. Again, this is very personal and what backs up my theory is the best record thread. Even though this is the future not the past, even musicaly we prefer the same drum sounds throught, the same guitar tone, bass tone.. etc.. You probably don´t want 5 different drummers in a record unless you are christina aguilera or something, who´s record will never enter the gearslut charts.. records with to many variables rarely make it to the best records threads.

Ofcourse the Pre´s are of least importance on why those records are on that list, but it is in fact a small contribution. This is a pointless discussion man, I also see your point. I just don´t agree with the variables. Unlimited track counts is a variable that has hurt more than helped how records are made, but I don´t want to hijack this thread into that.

Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

I would have to say to go with the API as well. I also own an ADL600 and the APi complements it very well. You won't be disappointed!!!
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'll show my young age by asking how long outboard rackmount boutique pres have been in vogue? Seems to me they started to proliferate in the DAW age during the decline of the large consoles. Perhaps the engineers of yore would have used more color options had they been given them?

oh sorry, this wasn't the topic. I'd say save the money for now and go with a 3124. It may not be AS colorful as a germ, but you surely can't go wrong with it when cutting rock, my friend.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

API or Germ

I have had API 312 pres with a variety of different transformers on them and have used them for years and love them on everything! I just got a Germ pre a few weeks ago and love it even more on electric guitar and overhead mic. It has a wonderful smooth creamy top that the API just doesn't have. API pre's are wonderful too but I'm really in love with the Germ, so far. I also used the Germ on vocals and liked it there as well. You can't go wrong with either one really.

If you are going to go with the API then I would get the OSA pres with different transformer options(like the Lundahl)You will have more colors then just the API with the Jensen trannys on the inputs.In fact a friend of mine used to record with the API 3214 all the time and I gave him an OSA pre to try and he thought is was much more open in the hi end and liked the pre much more then the API.He bought the OSA pre from me,and it's his goto pre.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

I just ordered 4 germaniums, 2 LTD-1's, and 2 TG Channels
Drum's are gonna start sounding real good around here with my Innertube Audio 450 tubes w/ Blue B6 capsules for overheads.

Last edited by Solunaris; 9th May 2006 at 11:46 PM..
Old 9th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by axisdreamer
If you are going to go with the API then I would get the OSA pres with different transformer options(like the Lundahl)You will have more colors then just the API with the Jensen trannys on the inputs.In fact a friend of mine used to record with the API 3214 all the time and I gave him an OSA pre to try and he thought is was much more open in the hi end and liked the pre much more then the API.He bought the OSA pre from me,and it's his goto pre.

Just my 2 cents!
Well it's not an an API, and doesn't sound like one....

Also, API doesn't use Jensen transformers in their gear.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by axisdreamer

Just my 2 cents!

I can't agree with this..
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'd go with an API 3124+ (or MB). The Germ sounds like an awesome pre, but API's are legends for a reason.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

With the API you get 4 instead of 2 like you said.

Though the Germanium seems to be the newest, coolest and grooviest toy that everybody seems to be jumping over I highly doubt it`s better than 2 extra and allready super high quality pres. Don`t get sucked into the hype.

API`s been just as nice as anything else out there for 20 years so go for extra channels.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Sure, most of the "classic" records were made using just board pres, but that's pretty much the only way things were done back the. As time goes on I think more and more of the recordings that make those lists will be recordings done with various pres, if for no other reason than because that's how people tend to do things these days. The performance and skill of the musicians and engineers will always transcend the gear itself. Doesn't mean that there's any harm in trying different things...switching preamps out won't make nearly the difference than switching drums or drummers would, or putting carrots on your burger.

-Duardo
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

The whole single type of preamp thing is killing me...I mean the thing I like about those old records the most is the music, not the sound of them. Personally I thnik most of the records sound like crap. Hendrix, Zep and the likes. Of course there are some beautiful sounds in there too but I'd like to think we can improve upon the past.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

If you're going for more colors in your sounds, I think you'll get more by using/buying different mics rather than different pres.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew
If you're going for more colors in your sounds, I think you'll get more by using/buying different mics rather than different pres.

I find the opposite to be true as well...the same mic will sound a whole lot different through the Germ than it will an API...it's all about options in my book.
Old 10th May 2006
Here for the gear

I got them both now and they both rock.

Depends on what you will end up using them the most. The Germanium is REALLY colored... in a good way. The API probably got the faster transient response.

I would say API for drums, Germs for Guitars & Bass.

If you need 4 more Channels anyway, get the API.
All I can say after one week of usage is that the Germanium really kills on distorted guitars and I did prefer it over the API in all cases (different mics, positions,etc.)

hope this helps.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

are you guys saying i'll never be able to get "the Led out" with my 14 flavors of preamps and 15 different flavors of microphones?

if thats the case, then good.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

API did use jensen input transformers in their gear and different times throughout the years.I have some with them on and they are stock,just for the record.

I have both API 312 and OSA and like the choice of input trannys on the OSA.All I 'm saying is the API 3124 has all the same input trannys for all 4 pre's.and the OSA gives you options.

Stace
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Nut

in reference to pres for user with vocals

i notice in reading alot of pre questions lately the ppl will answer mostly with so and so pre for drums or guitar or bass. but i never hear them much mention vocals. And in reading more i really gather that it seems vocals tend to get either the "n" word treatment or more of the cleaner pres or the "euphoric" tube pres for vocals.

and in most of the api comparison threads, even ones with audio samples, almost like 99% rather something else beside the api for vocals. and this seems to be repeatedly mentioned.
so basically i'm basically asking for vocals in real world api or germ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search