The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AVEDIS E27, API 550a, Great River 32 EQ 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 14th February 2012
Gear Nut

AVEDIS E27, API 550a, Great River 32 EQ

Okay I'm hoping someone will break this down for me I plan on getting two API 550a EQ's for my lunchbox. I already have the harrison 32 EQ from great river (two of them). I was thinking about returning my Great River 32 EQ's and get some API compressors for dynamics during mixing as well as utilizing the API EQ's during summing as well. However I've heard a little bit about the Avendis E27 and I found a place that is selling them (not cheap around $1200 a pop). Should I keep the Great River 32 EQ's? Should I rely mainly on the API 550A's? Should I invest in Avendis E27's? I guess what I'm getting at is what is the #1 priority which EQ's are going to be most beneficial for me? API or great river maybe avendis. I've played around w/ the great river eq's but I like the fact that the API 550A only has 3 bands makes it easier a limits the possibilities which is a good thing since I can't spend day after day without stopping just to find that perfect "eq" setting. bottom line - should I keep the great river 500 series eq's? e
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

Let us know where we could buy the E27's!!! heh

Btw those are all different eq's.. The great river as you said gives you the most chances to "sculpt"..
the 550 are nice, but I'd go for the E27 hands down.. they sounds awesome and everything that passes through it benefits from the circuit and the xformers even without eq applied..
Even if the 550 are nice, you won't miss them with the E27.

If you like the GR eq, keep 'em and get the E27, after playing a bit you'll know if it's better to sell them for some comps or not..

Btw I'd not miss the occasion to buy something "unbuyable".. Get the E27..

Cheu
Old 14th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Owning all 3 of those, I'd never use the Harrison on the main bus, since it is very hard to set identically on both channels. And it sounds somehow phasey to me. But it is great on individual non-correlated channels, of course! Wouldn't sell mine. It's a problem solver, a bright colour, not a slight brush. The Avedis has the nicest airband of those, and it's easy to set up, reasonable repeatable and built like a tank.
The API 550A is a really NICE colour, even if not EQing. On the main bus I'd go with this one, but be sure to get the mastering (550M) version with smaller steps, instead of 2dB! Ask API, perhaps they'll do it (couldn't find this one on their homepage though). Or get the API 5500, which is like a stereo 550B with a range switch.
Old 14th February 2012
Gear Nut

Api 550a????

Sorry I cannot devulge where you can get avedis eq's - once I order two of em if I can (assuming they even have any) then I'll post the URL for everyone else. Okay now I'm thinking API or Avedis? What is better in the long run and what do you mean by API not being EQish? Apparently Avedis is king on this forum but don't you have something to brag about with +30 dB high headroom on the API 550A? Tell me someone should I try and go for the Avedis which is gonna be around $2300.00 or two API 550A's? I will be using whatever I end up with mixing and also laying down individual tracks mainly vocal tracks with RPQ 500 mic pre's and R84 ribbon mic's. As for the GR 32 EQ I am not too thrilled with it but if someone can convince me they are worth keeping go for it.
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

Ahahahahahah.. No worries.. I already have my E27's but in fact they're never enough.. heh But I have other priorities now..

What the previous poster (and also me in my first post) intended is when you run your signal through the EQ (550 or whatever) having the pots at 0, so that nothing is really EQed but you pass your signal through the circuit..

I'd get the E27, they're wonderful on everything, especially boosting top end on ribbons (if you need that)..and not only that..

Since you don't like them too much/or you're not digging the GR eq, sell it for something else, comps or whatever you need.. (they might be nice for sculpting, but I guess everybody is different and if you're not thrilled with them nobody could make them better for your ears with any word over here..they are probably not for you..so try something else)

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

Answering this question is almost impossible. Between those three you have mentioned some of the very best 500 series EQs out there. All are great in their own right, have their own specific strengths.
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate View Post
Answering this question is almost impossible. Between those three you have mentioned some of the very best 500 series EQs out there. All are great in their own right, have their own specific strengths.
Nailed it. They're all great, you'll be happy using any one of them.
Old 14th February 2012
Gear Nut

False alarm

I thought i was clever using a search engine me being the dumbass that I am thought that I found an Avenid whatever the hell its called E27 EQ processor. Turns out the guy tells me its discontinued. ALL throughout my life everything that is good and truthful and tasty and sexy is ALWAYS DISCONTINUED!!!! WHY?!?? for god sakes they make an EQ that kicks ass and the bastards quit making them what for ****s and giggles just to piss people like me off? just blowin steam okay I give up on that EQ I'm going to go with API 550A and keep my Great River Harrison EQ's if ANYONE has any other suggestions PLEASE SPEAK NOW OR FOREVER HOLD YOUR PEACE. I DON'T WANT TO INVEST IN A BUNCH OF JUNK.

thanks guys
Old 14th February 2012
The three 500 series eq's you've mentioned are my three favourites and I've tested a load of them (though probably not as many as Marcocet whi is the 500 series eq king as far as I can see!)

BTW I'm in the market for more GR eq32s so if you decide to sell drop me a pm.

Best
T
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligator View Post
I thought i was clever using a search engine me being the dumbass that I am thought that I found an Avenid whatever the hell its called E27 EQ processor. Turns out the guy tells me its discontinued. ALL throughout my life everything that is good and truthful and tasty and sexy is ALWAYS DISCONTINUED!!!! WHY?!?? for god sakes they make an EQ that kicks ass and the bastards quit making them what for ****s and giggles just to piss people like me off? just blowin steam okay I give up on that EQ I'm going to go with API 550A and keep my Great River Harrison EQ's if ANYONE has any other suggestions PLEASE SPEAK NOW OR FOREVER HOLD YOUR PEACE. I DON'T WANT TO INVEST IN A BUNCH OF JUNK.

thanks guys
Calm down..
What do you think that people ask to let them know where to buy them for??

Btw, it was already covered in other threads related to the E27.. Avedis didn't stop making them for pissing people off.. But for HIS good reasons.. I'm the first who would like to being able to buy those again, but I understand that his business is one man operation, and he makes the MA5's and the E27's himself.. I think you didn't have the pleasure to look inside an E27.. That 500 series is completely FULL of components 2 discrete 1122 opamps, 2 xformers, a lot of other stuff like caps and resistors, and even the shafts of the dual concentric pots are hand cutted by Avedis for having the right fit for the module.. All this is why that EQ is so amazing (it's not just a bunch of IC's..), but this require a LOT of time.. He wants to have total control over his products, because he tests them after the build and check EVERYTHING, so that when you receive an MA5 or an E27, or whatever product you buy from him, it's perfect.. He really cares about his stuff to being made as HE wants and intend them.. Very very few other companies does that... and he wanted to move forward on some other designs.. I'm sad for this choice but I agree with it.. he's finishing the last test of the upcoming BAE compressor that he designed.. and hopefully some other new stuff is on the backburner..

I see your frustration, but there's no reason to be upset for this..
Btw from time to time they pop up in the used market..you might get lucky..maybe some dealers in Europe still have them, I dunno, but if you really want them ask around..

I hope this help you to understand..

Cheu
Old 14th February 2012
Gear Nut

What about Five Fish Audio

You know I was thinking about Five Fish Audio - I probably won't need anymore analog EQ's (for now) but its intruiging the whole description on their site. Anyone have any advice on Fish Fish Audio? I could get two EQ's for about $800.00 that doesn't even cover the price for one API 550a.
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

I'll add my to the 550A and GR32. When I outfitted my first Lunchbox with EQ's in 2009, I was too late to get E27's, so I got a bunch of units to try out and select from. I kept a GR32, 550a, and a pair of Electrodyne 511's. The API is great for attitude, and the 2-band 511's are like sonic caramel. But the GR32 is probably the one I use most frequently. A great troubleshooting sculptor with excellent filters, and a bit of bling of its own.
Old 15th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
ALL throughout my life everything that is good and truthful and tasty and sexy is ALWAYS DISCONTINUED!!!! WHY?!??
I've felt the same ever since they cancelled the TV series, "V - The Series" back in 1985.

Regards,
Frank
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
You know I was thinking about Five Fish Audio - I probably won't need anymore analog EQ's (for now) but its intruiging the whole description on their site. Anyone have any advice on Fish Fish Audio? I could get two EQ's for about $800.00 that doesn't even cover the price for one API 550a.
I never had the chance to try the e 27´s, but the five fish sound great!! and even with the xformer and descrete op amp options they are not expensive! Only detail is that the knobs feel a little loose and even can be moved by a patchbay cable touching them... So far they have worked in everything i passed through them... All bands sound great and unphasey to me. Solid bottom, creamy mids and airy silky highs. Carnhill inductor based. I want to get 4 more of them!

good luck

Last edited by Hansest; 3rd April 2012 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: forgot to subscribe
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

finally i had the chance to try the e27, and now my pair is arriving tomorrow!! Very happy! My other 500 eq´s are Electrodyne 511, Vintage API 550a, API 560 and the five fish!
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

btw, must say we tested also the great river harrison, the maag, and the kush elektra´s and compared to the avedis they were absolut meh... forgot to say than the a desings peq was very nice also, specially in the lows, but the highs and mids of the avedis smoked the peq

Last edited by Hansest; 21st February 2015 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: forgot the peq
Old 21st February 2015
I wouldnt say they are meh (I have everything mentioned in this thread except the Maag). But they certainly all do different things. I'm not sure there are better hi/lo pass filters in the business than in the GR

Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I wouldnt say they are meh (I have everything mentioned in this thread except the Maag). But they certainly all do different things. I'm not sure there are better hi/lo pass filters in the business than in the GR

agreed. Different applications. But I would not take out any eq in my lunch box to put a GR. I am happy using a very nice low phase equalizer plugin not only for low and high cut duties but also scooping out some mid resonances. Then I usually go to hardware compression and then analog EQ boosting (for what we all know the avedis excels) then analog summing . Btw nice desk!
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Love it every time if see it!

Has anyone compared the 2nd release of the e27 to the first release? Are they the exact sound and feel?
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post

Has anyone compared the 2nd release of the e27 to the first release? Are they the exact sound and feel?
I asked the same in this thread:

Avedis E27
Old 22nd February 2015
Quote:

While I haven't directly A/B'd old and new I use them in adjacent channels of my desk every day and have noticed no difference.
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

As other users said, they sound the same..because they're made the same heh

I copy the post I wrote in the other thread..just for sake of information:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
They sound the same.. GREAT sound..as they always did.. because they're the SAME! heh

Afaik Avedis simply reconfigured sligthly some pcb (there are 2, sandwiched) to be easier to solder/mount and got custom made shafts instead of cutting them himself.. (and maybe custom switches for pcb mounting? Not sure about this part..) All other components are the same. Xformers the same, opamps the same, high quality pcb as always, same caps, etc, etc..

He simply tried to make the E27 a little bit easier to manufacture, but it's still a LOT of work and all the parts are very high quality (as usual with Avedis), and all electronic components are the same.

Avedis has strong values, he would not manufacture stuff that is not up to HIS standards.

You should not worry about anything.. as War said.
in fact he still manufactures the MA5 as he always did.. he never cuts on quality (and he could've done many times on several levels.. but never did).

The price went up a little bit from the early series, because the parts became more expensive..
(remember that he didn't change the price of the MA5 in 7 years!! The parts went up in prices meanwhile..as you all know..he always kept that 775$ price, which is a great deal, for what you find inside it's almost a gift).

Going back to the E27..while it's not cheap for an eq, I can tell you that it's sold at an incredible price.. yes, INCREDIBLE!
(other companies would probably sell it for 2K, but they would not even bother, since it's so time consuming making them..)

believe it or not, he's not there for the money.. quite unique in this world..

You could call him and ask him directly..he will know better than me of course.. great guy to deal with

I hope this helps,

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu
I hope this helps,

Cheu

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search