The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AIR6 or BM6A?
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

AIR6 or BM6A?

Hi,

I have been very happy with my (passive) BM6's for a long time. I use them as nearfields; also have JBL LSR6328P with sub as main monitors. What I particularly like about the BM6 is that they're not fatigueing to listen to and that they translate very well.

For a couple of reasons it would be handy for me to have active nearfields instead of the BM6+amp combo I've used sofar. Therefore I have sold my BM6 + amp today and are now contemplating the following:

- I can buy a pair of BM6A
- I can get a good deal on an ex-demo pair of AIR6

What I remember from when I reviewed the AIR series is that they sound a little bright compared to the BM series. I wouldn't say harsh; I liked the sound but there was just a bit more going on in the top end the in my BM6. I don't need the digital connections on the AIR6 and the price would be roughly the same.

Should I go for the sound I know & love - the BM6A - or should I go for the 'new Dynaudio' sound of the AIR6? Anyone experience with mixing long sessions on AIR6?

Thanks for the help,

Ivo W.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear
I was using my Air 6's analog inputs from my Digi002 and noticed there wasn't much low end. Recently I bought a DMX with AES/EBU outputs and decided to see if there was a difference using the digital inputs on the Dyn's. There was a dramatic difference in the low end. Much better sounding. I couldn't tell you if it was because of the monitor section in the DMX or b/c of the digital inputs on the Dyn's. I have no idea. I used the same reference material I always use and the digital inputs just sounded better. Much fuller in the low end. This may be affecting the perception of the highs. What I'm getting at is if you're not interested in using the digital inputs then just get the BM6A's.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search