The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Great River EQ-2NV on 2-buss?
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Great River EQ-2NV on 2-buss?

Hi there, any of you folks had experiences to share about the great river eq on the 2 buss or even mastering?

Many thanks
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

Sounds great!!!

Iim using the EQ-2NV after the dangerous 2 Buss, right now i´m still in testingphase, but i will wait until Dan releases the Mastering Version thumbsup

I already saw the prototype and it looks great.
Old 9th May 2006
I use it every day that way. Got any specific questions?

Here are my impressions from a reviewer's standpoint.

http://www.eqmag.com/story.asp?secti...storycode=9387
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies,

Yes Lynn, I've read you review and I listen to your tests as well,
I know they are two really different EQs but how do you rate it against the massive passive for 2 buss applications? The massive passive is the only hi end EQ I had the pleasure to play with (on the 2 buss)...
Also I've heard about the mastering edition, does anyone know when it will be released?
Many thanks
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

As far as I know, it will be out in 1-2 month.

I´ve already ordered mine
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Excellent! what's the price for the mastering version?
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

Don´t know yet
Old 9th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by baikonour
Hi there, any of you folks had experiences to share about the great river eq on the 2 buss or even mastering?

Many thanks

In my opinion its too fosused sounding and a little pinched up top to work well in a mastering situation.

It does work great though in the mix(acoustic guitars especially).

The Massive Passive is great at doing heavy mid shifts.

Works really well when mixing vocals.

Its also a little pinched up top though when you push it.

On the bottomn end it could go either way(even though its been my defacto EQ on bass).

Lets just say it wouldn't be my only EQ in a mastering situation.
Old 9th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by baikonour
Yes Lynn, I've read you review and I listen to your tests as well,
I know they are two really different EQs but how do you rate it against the massive passive for 2 buss applications? The massive passive is the only hi end EQ I had the pleasure to play with (on the 2 buss)...
Also I've heard about the mastering edition, does anyone know when it will be released?
Against the Massive Passive? That I can't say. I've never put them side by side. Honestly my experience with the Massive Passive is limited to one day in the studio doing vocals. So I would be reluctant to make any comparisons based on that.

I emailed Dan (GR) but haven't heard back from him yet on the Mastering Edition of the EQ-2NV.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston
I emailed Dan (GR) but haven't heard back from him yet on the Mastering Edition of the EQ-2NV.
Cool, thanks Lynn... keep us posted if you can.
Old 9th May 2006
member no 666

At some point there will be a 'mastering version' of the EQ-2NV [MEQ?]... until then, I wouldn't... but you're more than certainly welcome to give it a go if you'd like.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

it has been a killer for me on a parallel drum compression buss (set after the compressors)

Jason
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

I don't think I'd use it for 2 buss but certainly on stems.
It's great on drums and it's great for killing wolf tones.
I prefer the Massive on the 2 buss and only when needed.

chap
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

what in f&#%ing hell is my problem? i was DYING to use one of these, and wound up returning it. i feel crushed by my uncoolness.

you know how when you turn up the EQ on a... Pultec, a GML, an API, a Neve, a Summit, etc.... that it sounds usually great, even (gag) expensive? I know these are all very different flavors of EQ, but to my ear they all share a quality level. i/we didn't experience that sound at all from the great river EQ. have i lost my mind?
Old 10th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
At some point there will be a 'mastering version' of the EQ-2NV [MEQ?]... until then, I wouldn't... but you're more than certainly welcome to give it a go if you'd like.
I respectfully disagree. Give it a go.

Here's a link to some MP3s of a project that I just finished with the GR EQ across the 2 bus. It's adding 4 dB shelving at 15K. That's all. It doesn't sound pinched or grainy to my ear. How about yours?

http://www.3daudioinc.com/3db/showpo...8&postcount=45

Earlier in the thread you can find links to the track without the vocal, if you'd like to hear that.

Last edited by Lynn Fuston; 10th May 2006 at 07:12 AM..
Old 10th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wells
what in f&#%ing hell is my problem? i was DYING to use one of these, and wound up returning it. i feel crushed by my uncoolness.

you know how when you turn up the EQ on a... Pultec, a GML, an API, a Neve, a Summit, etc.... that it sounds usually great, even (gag) expensive? I know these are all very different flavors of EQ, but to my ear they all share a quality level. i/we didn't experience that sound at all from the great river EQ. have i lost my mind?

Beats me...I use mine on 2 bus all the time, and find it to work great. To me the Great River easily equals the quality of my API's (and is definitely more universal in it's usage), it sounds like (generally) a wider bandwidth, less forward, slightly softer version of my 550B's (with a lot more options for frequency choices, Q adjustments, etc). I wrote a new short review on our site FWIW.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Lynn - that sounds beautiful - nice work!
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks all for your comments, I've found out that Unity Audio, the UK distibutor can lend me one! So I will be able to try it soon.

Cheers.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

Here's a link to some MP3s of a project that I just finished with the GR EQ across the 2 bus. It's adding 4 dB shelving at 15K. That's all. It doesn't sound pinched or grainy to my ear. How about yours?

http://www.3daudioinc.com/3db/showpo...8&postcount=45

Earlier in the thread you can find links to the track without the vocal, if you'd like to hear that.

very nice!

Good job

Jason
Old 12th May 2006
Quote:
Dan says Mastering version will be on display at TapeOp in Tucson.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

I like the tracks as a whole, but to my ears the high end sounds a little artificial, not exactly transparent or airy. A little "plectrum-ish", to coin a word. Could be the mp3, though. Why not put up a very short 44.1/16 file.

Way back when you had posted some GR-EQ files and I remember really liking them.

-R
Old 12th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman
I like the tracks as a whole, but to my ears the high end sounds a little artificial, not exactly transparent or airy.
Can't say I've ever heard a transparent or airy MP3. That is likely the problem.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can't say I've ever heard a transparent or airy MP3. That is likely the problem.
Then with all due respect, what's the point, if you're trying to show what an eq can do at 15k?

-R
Old 12th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman
Then with all due respect, what's the point, if you're trying to show what an eq can do at 15k?
That was never my point, showing what it can do at 15K. I only included that description so people would know what the settings were. This is an MP3 of a finished master. I didn't make this sample for this discussion. I had it on my site and thought I'd share it.

I don't think it sounds pinched and grainy. I offered this as an example of that. I do think it sounds like an MP3.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Why not, I sez, why the heck not?

Life's rich pageant is for trying new things!

I know I will give it a go go pretty soon!
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
That was never my point, showing what it can do at 15K. I only included that description so people would know what the settings were.

I don't think it sounds pinched and grainy. I offered this as an example of that. I do think it sounds like an MP3.
Sorry, I guess I don't get the distinction. This demonstrates what the eq is doing at 15 khz, right? To my ears the high end does sound a little pinched and grainy. It would be interesting to hear the original file to see what accounts for that.

So now I have to ask myself, does this sound like it wouldn't sound pinched and grainy if it wasn't an mp3?

-R
Old 12th May 2006
Check your mail.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHunter
Life's rich pageant is for trying new things!
I think your avatar says it all. heh
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

I tried it last night on the 2 buss

my chain was RMS 755 ---- EQ 2NV ----- Pendulum Audio OCL-2

I'll tell you it sounded absolutely amazing and something I would definitely do again.

The EQ was bumpin up a bit of 30hz... slight scoop from 390hz.... a tap of 3.3K and shine from 15K...

Such a beautiful sounding unit.

Jason
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Poulin
I tried it last night on the 2 buss

my chain was RMS 755 ---- EQ 2NV ----- Pendulum Audio OCL-2

I'll tell you it sounded absolutely amazing and something I would definitely do again.

The EQ was bumpin up a bit of 30hz... slight scoop from 390hz.... a tap of 3.3K and shine from 15K...

Such a beautiful sounding unit.

Jason
Wow...that was like reading audio peotry. Bump scoop tap shine. Nice bro! Coudn't have said it better!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search