The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
processing toms.......please advise....cheers
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

processing toms.......please advise....cheers

hi

just wondering what tips you all could give me. my question is that when i am mixing sometimes i like to gate toms and the like but i hate the way they sound so i was wondering how you all get around it. i was wondering if in PRO TOOLS there is a way to draw in fader moves apart from using the fader to draw them in, i mean is there a way to use the pencil function to draw them in. also what other suggestions do you all have. the type of music i would do this for is pop/punk style stuff.

all sugestions are greatly appreciated

cheers ramjet
Old 9th May 2006
Led
Lives for gear

Hi,
i use cubase sx but I gate toms pretty much all the time except for some jazz or punk stuff. I record them with condensers often as well. I just go through and cut out everything except the hits. I fade the tales of the hit to different lengths depending how tight I want the sound. In sx I just alter the fade curve. I often find if the gating affects the kit sound too much, pushing the tom up a bit to make it feature rather than trying to hide it helps.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear
yes, you can definitely draw in volume automation... or you can separate the regions of the tom fills tightly and then GAIN them up individually.(in the audiosuite menu)
Old 9th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet

all sugestions are greatly appreciated

cheers ramjet

Mix on an analog console with analog gates.

The SSL dynamics and EQ's were made for toms.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

To automate something like that, I go into 'Slip' mode and use the 'hand' tool. here's a picture of a rack tom track. You can see the other drum hits around it.

I don't mute between stuff like that these days, so this is a little exaggerated.

You gotta zoom in to really see what's going on, but mainly, use your ears.
Attached Images
processing toms.......please advise....cheers-picture-19.jpg 
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

I clean the toms tracks when needed by cuting regions using the Tab to transient and doing a fade out of about 1.2s ( depending on the tempo ) I use a parabollic curve in the fade out instead of a straight line. It´s faster than automate the volume and by doing a slow fade sounds very natural in the contex of a mix.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

That's a better idea, besides, the pic above is pretty exaggerated. I was gonna say to remember to thin the automation if it's sucking CPU cycles too much.
Old 9th May 2006
Moderator emeritus

Umm, if you hate the way it sounds when you gate toms, why in the heck do you gate them at all? Why not just let them sound like toms?
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Martin
Umm, if you hate the way it sounds when you gate toms, why in the heck do you gate them at all? Why not just let them sound like toms?

That's what I was gonna ask too!
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

If your getting stuff in your toms that really don't want, then gate it.

I'll usually do it manually since I don't trust the gates that I do have... (software stuff)

and 3.2K is the bomb on toms... especially if that 3.2k is from a Neve

Jason
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I gate toms only if absolutly necessary. I also usually don't have them louder than the rest of the kit anyway.
The Aphex exciter with Big Bottom can do neat things to toms that need a bit of body.
Also, check the phase of the tom mics with the rest of the kit.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear
More Natural gate

I will make a copy track for each Tom I am going to gate. I will use the copies only to trigger the gate of the TOM I want to hear. I push them a little ahead in time of the real tom track, tell the real tom tracks gate to listen to the copy. The toms open a bit earlier and more naturally.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Also try not to hard gate stuff, use a downward expander.
If you could set the amount of GR on your gates than set it between 3dB and 18dB instead of -infinity.
Sounds nicer and more natural.
or use a expander to emphasis on the attack.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

hi

thanx all for your replys. as for THRILLFACTOR, i wish i could use an ssl, but thanx for the suggestion. as for why i want to gate when i hate the sound of them, i gate because sometimes the style of music calls for keeping the crap out of the tracks that don't need it. sometimed it is about the music and not what i want unfortunatley. i will try the suggestions so far anyways. also anymore suggestions while we are at it
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

strip silence

why not use the strip silence function in pt? i believe "ctrl U" is the shortcut... u can set the treshold, excellent on toms.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

In PT, tab to transient, and mute the regions in between the tom hits...fade if needed...

sdf
Old 10th May 2006
Or strip silence. It's much faster.
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommylicious
why not use the strip silence function in pt? i believe "ctrl U" is the shortcut... u can set the treshold, excellent on toms.
thats what i do as well...if you dont like how they trail off after that, fade the ends.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search