The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pop Filter
Old 4th September 2002
Lives for gear

Pop Filter

Replying to another thread made me think of this :

How many of you boys and girls record Vocals with a pop filter in front of the mic.

I think in general they do a lot of bad to the sound of the mic.
Therefore I try to avoid them.

Whenever I do use one; I use a AKG pop filter wich used to have double sides. Allready took one side off. Still no good.

I try to avoid pops by mic placement rather then with a pop filter in front of the mic. Very slightly turning or putting it higher usually helps a lot. The rest get's ProToolsed out.

Do you people use them or know of any "transparent" ones ???
Old 4th September 2002
Lives for gear

i use the Stedman / Royer metal one . . supposedly directional. seems FAIRLY transparent
Old 4th September 2002
Gear Addict

I always start without one. When the vocalist needs a pop filter though, I reach for the Stedman.
Old 4th September 2002
One with big hooves

I always use a pop filter. I don't think I've tried recording vocals without one more then once or twice and it never worked.
Old 5th September 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

I use pop screens with clients in order to protect the mic capsule.

A large, high quality home-made one that we have here (don't know where it came from but it appears to be very thin, fine panty hose) sounds better than the three commercial ones (AKG, Beyer, and Stedman) we have.

Otherwise, like you I prefer it without.
Old 5th September 2002
At all times, I admit by habit only, not ears.
Old 5th September 2002
Lives for gear

I use them all the time. Got to keep the spit off the mic and the explosives out of the recording.

Think I need to check out the Stedman.
Old 5th September 2002
Lives for gear

hmmmm .... like I said .... mic placement is of course very important when not using a pop filter. Putting the mic slightly higher or lower often helps, and also turning it a few milimeters away from the singer too.

Singers with a good technique can control B and P's. Especially the ones with a lot of LIVE experience .... now those are hard to find in the age of playback but still. The benefit in sound and editing the tracks afterwards in ProTools are prefered often over a pop filter.

But then there are technique-less singers too and those .... well ... they need a good pop filter.

I'll have to check that stedman / royer thing out.
Old 5th September 2002
Lives for gear

pop filters

I got one of the metal Stedman filters when I purchased my Royer R121 a few years ago. Now I wouldn't use anything else; although I have no idea how much they cost if you need to purchase one. The fact that it is metal and can be cleaned is an added bonus; no more gross, stank filters.

steve
[email protected]
Old 5th September 2002
Gear Addict

The neat thing about the Stedman design is how it channels the plosive away from the mic. If you put your hand behind the screen and try to "pop", you won't feel the air on your hand. It's very cool!
Old 5th September 2002
Lives for gear

If I'm getting real vibey, I'll skip the pop filter, but be careful doing this with a C12. Moisture sucks to them capsules like a mofo and sound like a monkey pissed in the vocalist's mouth.

dfegad grggt
Old 5th September 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by C.Lambrechts

Singers with a good technique can control B and P's.
And good players don't need twenty punches per take. Too often, I am dealing with the singer/player that needs the extra 'help'.

If the singer does not know mics, they always complain if I have it above the mouth (to avoid pops), because they think they have to sing up to the mic. "Well, can't you just lower it?"

Trade off, but I would rather have the singer comfortable.
Old 8th September 2002
Lives for gear

After having an older 414EB go down from spitting punk vocals , I now always use a pop filter. I've got the Royer one as well.
Old 10th September 2002
Here for the gear

C12 gets the Steadman
SM7 keeps the foam
everything else by ear, usually the 87 & TLM get a pencil...gotta clip it properly in front of the screen for best results.
Old 10th September 2002
Gear Addict

nother,

I thought the pencil on the screen thing was a de-essing thang... I could never get it to work for me. You up for a quick tutorial????

hmm... should've written "tootorial"
Old 12th September 2002
Here for the gear

Pencil 1/2"-2" from the diaphragm (not the screen) & not quite centred, often with a little angling of the mic. I'm thinkin an 87 with the shockmount, my fave spot to attach the pencil, but I've used a nice solid gooseneck (for a pop screen) for the c12 (the fussiest vocal mic for placement IMHO), 77, coles.
Not sure 'bout the de-ess... will comp[are a bit this weekend.
(assuming she's written lyrics)
Nick
Old 10th April 2009
Here for the gear

BUMP

I use a K&M Popkiller (one of those with the double nylon screen) but i've been looking into the stedman lately since i hope this will affect the sound less. I see that many people here like them for their sound (or lack of) but i was wondering if they also do a good job keeping away moisture from the capsule? Intuitively i would say that a metal pop screen with bigger holes (compared to the nylon ones) will do that job worse... what are your experiences?
Old 10th April 2009
AB3
Lives for gear

Pauly Superscreens distributed through Las Vegas Pro Audio.
The best. Costly, but worth it. If you want the best.
And Las Vegas Pro Audio has incredible customer service. Highly recommended.
(I am not connected with them.)
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Head

I made my own from an embroidery hoop, pantyhose, copper wire, and battery clamps. Cost me seven bucks.

But I work alone and have no one to visually impress.

< ducks and runs
Old 10th April 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
Pauly Superscreens distributed through Las Vegas Pro Audio.
The best. Costly, but worth it. If you want the best.
And Las Vegas Pro Audio has incredible customer service. Highly recommended.
(I am not connected with them.)
Yeah, but Las Vegas Pro Audio does not ship internationally and i'm in europe. Plus the Pauly is already very expensive as is and is gonna be even more so through international distribution channels. I guess i don't need the best. A very good one will do, too
So the Stedman... Judging from the reviews it gets it should be good (sonically), i just have that incertitude about the moisture.
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

I think I am the only person that doesn't like the stedman ( i bought one). After going through a few Pop Filters to me the best one was the Blue Microphone "The Pop". Just my 2 cents. Haven't heard the recent crop of new ones out though.
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Addict
I think the Pauly's come from Europe.
Old 10th April 2009
AB3
Lives for gear

Yes, that is correct. There must be a dealer in Europe. Sure it may be expensive, but this is the HIGH END FORUM. If you want a pop filter than keep the original sound in tact as much as possible - get the Pauly. I have not found anything else that works without altering the sound too much.

The Pauly can cost $150-$220 in the U.S. What is the European price? If $100 more is too much to spend on a Pauly versus a Stedman, then I will say it again, this search for a pop filter should be in the low end theory forum IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasman View Post
I think the Pauly's come from Europe.
Old 10th April 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
The Pauly can cost $150-$220 in the U.S. What is the European price? If $100 more is too much to spend on a Pauly versus a Stedman, then I will say it again, this search for a pop filter should be in the low end theory forum IMHO.
Ah, OK, sorry (i'm new here). I tried to stick to the "Don't start a new thread if there's already a similar one" rule... Maybe the moderator could move this to the other forum?
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
BUMP

I use a K&M Popkiller (one of those with the double nylon screen) but i've been looking into the stedman lately since i hope this will affect the sound less. I see that many people here like them for their sound (or lack of) but i was wondering if they also do a good job keeping away moisture from the capsule? Intuitively i would say that a metal pop screen with bigger holes (compared to the nylon ones) will do that job worse... what are your experiences?
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

Your this week winner of the oldest thread revival prize.

Quote:
this search for a pop filter should be in the low end theory forum IMHO.
I believe he just bumped this thread back from obscurity in the forum where it was created.
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear
Another vote for the Pauly
Old 10th April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nother View Post
Pencil 1/2"-2" from the diaphragm (not the screen) & not quite centred, often with a little angling of the mic. I'm thinkin an 87 with the shockmount, my fave spot to attach the pencil, but I've used a nice solid gooseneck (for a pop screen) for the c12 (the fussiest vocal mic for placement IMHO), 77, coles.
Not sure 'bout the de-ess... will comp[are a bit this weekend.
(assuming she's written lyrics)
Nick
+1! I have experienced the Pencil trick KILLING ANY low end plosives dutifully!! It really works, and it doesn't kill any HF.
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
I think I am the only person that doesn't like the stedman ( i bought one). After going through a few Pop Filters to me the best one was the Blue Microphone "The Pop". Just my 2 cents. Haven't heard the recent crop of new ones out though.
No, you're not. I find the Steadman colors the high end to an unacceptable level, so I work without. Might have to try the Pauly everyone is recommending.
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

Before you go and buy a Pauly or any of those, listen to those tests I just linked.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search