The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pop Filter
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Steadman 3 inches from the mic...
Old 10th April 2009
a vote for stedman

I love mine and as far as the spit goes I think it protects the mic well. Most people don't spit accidentally in microscopic drops so even thought the holes are a little bigger it keeps the vast majority of moisture out.

But if the Pauly is the best I say get one of the best so you don't have to buy anymore.
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear
i have a pauly but was a little disappointed with it in your test. i really liked pans blast pad AND the popper stopper (it's from shure right?) sounded great!

ps: some weeks ago i tried to register to the psw forum just for posting my opinion about the shootout there but never received the confirmation mail necessary to log in?
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

Futur, I'm not sure how that all works. Maybe your confirmation e-mail got spam blocked?

If you are trying to protect the capsule from spit, the Pete's place is the best. It then comes down to if you like the sonic signature or not. For me with the Pauly, I'm not sure that the audible difference between that and the Popper Stopper are worth the vast price difference.

The problem with the pencil method is that it does not block moisture. Some capsules might warrant keeping the spit off, like a nice CK12 or M7. It's amazing how just those tiny pieces of moisture find their way onto the capsule.

I've been using the Steadman and been getting fantastic vocal sounds for several years. You can totally hear it, but I'm not sure which filter I am going to use from now on. Some might be better matched to some mics. The thing I like about the Steadman is taht you can clean it, and I'm a germaphobe. LOL.
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
If you are trying to protect the capsule from spit, the Pete's place is the best. It then comes down to if you like the sonic signature or not. For me with the Pauly, I'm not sure that the audible difference between that and the Popper Stopper are worth the vast price difference.
i liked the popper stopper clearly better than the pauly, so i will pick one up
oh yeah and thanks for doing this shootout, much appreciated thumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
Futur, I'm not sure how that all works. Maybe your confirmation e-mail got spam blocked?
pretty sure not, i'm regulary monitoring all spam. i will just try to reregister...

EDIT: my normal email just won't work with psw, and no it doesn't go to spam either. registered with another email without any problem. strange...
Old 11th April 2009
Gear Nut

at Middle Ear we used a coat hanger with a stocking pulled over it. works a treat costs fifty cents
Old 11th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cush View Post
No, you're not. I find the Steadman colors the high end to an unacceptable level, so I work without. Might have to try the Pauly everyone is recommending.
I found the Stedman to accentuate nasties in the high end. Been using the new Blast Pad and it's more neutral and kinder on sibilance.
Old 13th April 2009
500 series nutjob

you guys can read about what some of the Blast Pad user have to say here.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...-new-post.html

it get used for a tone of stuff!

i recently got word that Dylan "3-D" Dresdow just did the new Black Eyed Peas album with blast pad on vocals.
here is a link for all the BEP folks out their.

[Dipdive] Home
Old 15th April 2009
Lives for gear

I use the Royer PS101 (which is simply an OEM Stedman) and the BLUE ThePop. I also have a Studio Projects metal pop filter and the Shure PopperStopper... but I just use the BLUE and Stedman anymore.

Gearslutz needs a big pop filter test thread, complete with blind A/B listen tests at full 96K wave file with at least 10 different models. I expect no less of this online community!
Old 24th April 2009
Here for the gear

thanks to jjblair for posting those tests and to Yenrah for adressing my concerns about the potential moisture problem with the steadman.
hmm... the shure popper stopper also seems to be nice. does anyone of you have experience with the k&m popkiller? my problem is that i only have experience with this one, so i can't quite imagine how it would compare to other ones.
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

Anyone happen to still have access to the audio clips for the filter test? The link on PSW is dead.
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Nut

We always used a homebrew with the Bee Gees. Coat hanger with panty hose and duct tape.
Cost - $ .50
Sound - Priceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
I use pop screens with clients in order to protect the mic capsule.

A large, high quality home-made one that we have here (don't know where it came from but it appears to be very thin, fine panty hose) sounds better than the three commercial ones (AKG, Beyer, and Stedman) we have.

Otherwise, like you I prefer it without.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search