The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
first high end pre
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Addict

I agree with everyone on the API pres. You can't go wrong. I would also suggest looking into the Presonus ADL600. This unit is killer on everything I put thru it. Craig Anderson did a long review on the forum at Harmony Central. Very indepth. Check it out as an option.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Pendulum quartet II .
You're a little stuck with api or GR ...you need something with more options IMO, its expensive but its worth every penny.
This box is magic !
mac
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante
The TAB-Funkenwerk V-78 is okay... I have one sitting in the rack here, but it doesn't seem to get as much use as the others.

I have to stick up (good-naturedly) for the V78 here. To each his or her own, of course, but I just got my Germanium a few days ago and though I've fallen in love with it like everybody else, it makes me appreciate the V78 in a whole new way. On vocals I was recording earlier, identical chain, only swapping out the pres, the Germ had plenty of attitude and bite, but the V78 had an entirely different kind of depth, a really rich warmth that was lacking in the Germ -- exactly right for that particular application. The V78 has an elegant sound, and, particularly on vox, I'm beginning to think it compliments the Germ surprisingly well.

Just my two cents.

Cheers all.

Old 7th July 2006
Gear Addict

I also should mention that I will be using the pre with an MBox 1.
Would I be better off getting an RME pre/converter instead since the Mbox products seem to have a dubious reputation in the conversion department ??
Old 7th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
You can't go wrong with anything that says API on it!

Also, be sure to check out the Aurora Audio GTQ2mkIII...

http://highprofileaudio.com/AuroraAudioGTQ.htm
I second that. The GTQ2 is very good.
Old 7th July 2006
Lives for gear

I have the Mbox1 and I run a Hamptone preamp in front of it for overdubs at home. I am going to buy an RME ADI-2 at the end of the month to upgrade the conversion... not neccessarily high end but I think their stuff sounds pretty good. If you have a pre picked out the RME seems like a good option.

But, If I was in your situation now I'd definately get the new API box w/the converters.(A2D) I don't think your going to find a better value or a better fit to improve your setup. Add a D/A converter down the road and you'd have a pretty sweet 2 channel rig.

A budy of mine is ordering one to run into his 001, but I don't think he's gotten it yet. If I hear from him I'll post his thoughts on it.
Old 7th July 2006
Gear Addict

thanks for the info hopeless_opus, but right now my budget might not be able to get both. i really want to get the great river,(trying to find used), but started to think i might be defeating the purpose if i just run it straight into the mbox. i forgot about the new api, which has conversion on it. (a lil more money than i have available right now)

if i don't decide on the api, which should i grab first, some a/d conversion or a great pre??
Old 7th July 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Planet
I have to stick up (good-naturedly) for the V78 here. To each his or her own, of course, but I just got my Germanium a few days ago and though I've fallen in love with it like everybody else, it makes me appreciate the V78 in a whole new way. On vocals I was recording earlier, identical chain, only swapping out the pres, the Germ had plenty of attitude and bite, but the V78 had an entirely different kind of depth, a really rich warmth that was lacking in the Germ -- exactly right for that particular application. The V78 has an elegant sound, and, particularly on vox, I'm beginning to think it compliments the Germ surprisingly well.

Just my two cents.

Cheers all.

Your sentiments would be my 2 cents as well , since I still am having a love affair with the V-78.
Old 8th July 2006
Gear Addict

So Colin, Do you feel the TAB V78 can be used as all around pre like the great River? I'm getting concerned now that I should probably get a converter also to really make sense of the new preamp I purchase. So the RME is a good choice??
Old 8th July 2006
Gear Guru

calrec or langevin am16. that way you get to sound amazing, and not like everyone else.

edit: someone mentioned the daking, i'll second that, for the same reasons as above.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 8th July 2006
Lives for gear

Dav bg1 is amazing. Or if you need 8 channels with conversions then mackie onyx 800r, which is amazing for that price.
Regards Tamas Dragon
Old 8th July 2006
Gear Addict

the way i work, i only need two channel conversion
Old 8th July 2006
Gear Nut

I'm kind of in your position too. I'm thinking great pre but I know I need to get AD & DA to really make the jump to better sound (in additon to mic and placement etc etc)

It sounds like you don't have a lot of cash (aprox $1000 no?)

I was thinking what I would do in your situation and I thought get the pre first and just see how it sounds with your MBox. It probably will be noticeably different. But do it with high determination of getting the AD DA in 6 months time.

I'm loooking at Lavry Blue AD DA. They also have a BLack Box of just DA.

Anyway, more of an empathy post than personal experience.

I'm really excited for you because I feel your joy! I'm gonna be there soon too.
Old 8th July 2006
Lives for gear

...plus the Mbox can only do two channels.

You won't be defeating the purpose running the Great River (or other great preamp) into the Mbox, it will be a serious improvement. Especially if you assist or work somewhere that has nice gear and your used to hearing a certain standard. It won't be perfect, but it will be good. Plus you will have the option to upgrade the converters, or not, later on.

Just make sure you run your new preamp into the inserts on the Mbox. The Line ins suffer from the same headroom issues as the preamps ( I assume b/c the line in runs through the preamp circuitry) you'll get a much cleaner signal through the inserts.

Anyway the only high quality pres I have extensive expirience with (besides my Hamptone) are API's and they are amazing, but it seems to me every recomendation has been really good. I'd say get the Great River, throw an RNC or RNLA on it's insert points and call it a front end.

...or if you like to build things (or like me, you know someone who does) and want to get a seriously great two channel preamp for less than a used Great River, check out www.hamptone.com
Old 8th July 2006
Gear Addict

once again,

thanks hopeless_opus and all the gearslutz who have offered suggestions.
i think i'm gonna just get the pre now, (most likely the great river)
as was my first instinct, with the intent to purchase some better conversion
when the budget allows.

i'll write back when it all goes down with opinions if anyone is interested

thanks all
Old 8th July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang
Great River = river of great sound !
It's hard to find more excellent, usable preamplification than Great River offers, even later when you add some very high $$$ GR will holds its place in your work. I use it all the time, although some pres I have cost 2-3 times more.
It can be the first or the last pre, but it is 100% fine high end no doubt.
Later you owe to yourself some tube pre (Telefunken, Pendulum Audio), very clean pre (Buzz, DAV El) and nicely coloured one (Chandler).

But don't listen too much to advices, take one and be happy.
thumbsup

I have a pretty nice list of pre-amps and if I had to choose one it would be the Great River. The MP-2NV has different colors and textures, depth and vibe. All the other pres I have are GREAT, I love them all, but the MP-2NV covers the most range. I am very happy I picked one up.
Old 12th July 2006
Gear Maniac

Preampwise I use an A-Designs MP-2, an old Siemens V-72, a TAB V-376a und the preamps in my Studer desk (962).
Moneywise the V-72 (and the V-376a) is giving the best value/performance for the money (I payed 460 Euro for a good working one on Ebay), but I also like the flavour of the MP-2 (especially for dynamic mics and small condensers).
I will probably add a BG No.1 i this month and maybe a 276/376/476 if I get one cheap.
But my recomendation goes out for a vintage V-76/80, this pre is a killer! But rare and not that cheap (but compared to other vintage stuff it's affordable)

Phil
Old 12th July 2006
Lives for gear

Try out the Amek PurePath DMCL (Rupert Neve Design), it's great value for the buck. You get excellent Class A pre-amps which are sounding very open, clean, brilliant, smooth top end and tight bass. Has DI input, stereo compressor and AD converter. Very versatile piece of equipment!!!

Gaston
Old 12th July 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
thumbsup

I have a pretty nice list of pre-amps and if I had to choose one it would be the Great River. The MP-2NV has different colors and textures, depth and vibe. All the other pres I have are GREAT, I love them all, but the MP-2NV covers the most range. I am very happy I picked one up.
maybe OT but could you tell us what pres you have? could you also Gyang?

been thinking of GR for awhile and have no way to demo here. are they in the Portico ballpark or a whole different deal (haven't heard either)?

my list:
Telefunken V72 pair, Neve 1272 X 4, API 312 X 8, Avalon M22 X 2, 2 Germs, Flamingo.

on the way:
SH Gama X 2 + 31102 X 2. would Portico or GR be redundant? thanks.
Old 12th July 2006
Lives for gear

If you want a very clean, versatile pre? then get a Focusrite Red 6. They dont make those anymore but you can find one on Ebay.thumbsup
Old 12th July 2006
Lives for gear

clean and versatile??DAV BG-1. in a class all its own. Plenty of reviews here. want some "character"?? hamptone HVTp2...

you can get BOTH of those for less than 2000. youlll never need to upgrade those two...both keepers.

the DAV is the absolute favorite(and imho, best) "clean" pre I have ever used(used Gordon, GML, Millennia, DACS, Grace). No frills, not dominated by pretty lights, sales not driven by the brand name, they arent pimped by gear dealers(the creator wont let retailers sell them)... the sales are driven by the sonics.

I own Pendulum pres,(2 mdp1s) and yes, they are phenomenal, but in all honesty, and IMHO!!my Hamptone HVTP2 is virtually indistinguishible from the Pendulum, sonically....

My 2Cents! grab those two and youll have something everybody and their brother doesnt have and will still give world class results that can stand with or above any pre.........
Old 12th July 2006
Gear Nut

I was in your position about 2 years ago. I purchased an Avalon M5 mic pre. Very happy with my purchase.....So far its been great on vox and acoustic guitar. Recently had problems with a baritone vocal, hooked up an SM58 through the M5. Crystal clear, upfront, was perfect. I cannot comment on the Great River, since I've never used one...(but will prolly get one if I ever hit the lottery since I'm living on peanuts right now)...

Theron D
Old 12th July 2006
Trp
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard
DAV... they arent pimped by gear dealers(the creator wont let retailers sell them)
not true...

DIGITAL AUDIO SERVICE carries them. That´s where I bought my BG-2.
I agree on the sonic quality, though.
Old 12th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trp
not true...

DIGITAL AUDIO SERVICE carries them. That´s where I bought my BG-2.
I agree on the sonic quality, though.
let me revise that. Mick has VERY strict guidelines for retailers. he will not allow the price to be gouged. if they dont comply, he wont let them sell. so there are maybe 1 or 2 retailers on the planet. why anyone would want to use a retailer is beyond me...the best prices come from the man himself anyway.
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by edvdr76
If you want a very clean, versatile pre? then get a Focusrite Red 6. They dont make those anymore but you can find one on Ebay.thumbsup
if you were answering me, i think i'm covered for clean and versatile with the flamingo but thanks for answering.
Old 13th July 2006
Gear Addict

can I re-hijack my post for a minute? so I'm assuming Mercenary is the spot to pick up a great river pre. i think i'm clear on this, but the mercenary edition is the same pre... thanks
Old 13th July 2006
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard
why anyone would want to use a retailer is beyond me...the best prices come from the man himself anyway.
For very low volume gear makers using a retailer or having multiple retail dealers doesn't make sense if the gear maker can handle making the gear and all the contacts he / she receives by phone / email etc. Using a retailer means the retailer uses his / her resources to advertise and promote the product, invest in inventory, so the gear maker can keep the manufacturing process moving. It's sort of a balance issue...some manufacturers use one or two sellers...some use none...some use 1,000's.

In a few cases, small manufacturers actually DON'T want to grow beyond what they do. They don't want the hassle of hiring more workers, renting more space, buying more parts...they're just happy with their flow and it's all good.

Some of these guys just want to build stuff and create, and don't want to talk to people on the phone all day also (like retailers do).

War
Old 13th July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindseye
can I re-hijack my post for a minute? so I'm assuming Mercenary is the spot to pick up a great river pre. i think i'm clear on this, but the mercenary edition is the same pre... thanks

All the Great River preamps are the same model type regardless of where they are purchased (to put it another way there is currently only one type of Great River preamp, it's called the "NV", a one and two channel version that are exactly the same sound as each other).
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Later you owe to yourself some tube pre
Go with tube. Only good thing about solid-state was the compact size which allowed for lots of channels in a relatively small space. If you're not buying a huge console, go for sound.
Old 13th July 2006

.......and no one mentioned the Portico!

Despite what others might think, I LOVE these "which preamp" threads...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search