The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Engineering Grammy... recorded on a Yamaha o2r ? Mixers (Digital)
Old 12th February 2012
Lives for gear

Best Engineering Grammy... recorded on a Yamaha o2r ?

Is it true that Frank Filipetti recorded James Taylor's 1998 album with a Yamaha o2r, and some Tascam DATs, and won a Best Engineering Grammy ? If this is true... then.... I'm wasting WAY too much time on gear choices such as converters and preamps..... !!!!
Old 12th February 2012
Lives for gear

It is true that everything but the drums was recorded on an O2R. It was mixed on a Sony oxford I believe. In fact, I have heard multi Grammy award winning engineer Tom Bates swear by the quality of the converters and pre's for acoustic music on several occasions. As a former owner of an O2R, it doesn't really surprise me. This was exactly the kind of material that those Pre's/A/D converters did well with. Clean and natural sounds were fairly easy to capture with good recording technique on those consoles. The preamps would at least reach full scale on their A/D converter before crapping out unlike my experience with the later O2R/DM series preamps. At the same time, hopefully we have moved way beyond that quality of "front end" by this point.
Cameron
Old 12th February 2012
Lives for gear

In this case, I'd give the nod to James Taylor.

Have you ever heard him live? It sounds ridiculous. Thats a guy and a group of players that sound amazing everywhere.

On any rig.

Not to discredit the engineer but JT, and I personally don't even LIKE JT, just knows how to sound freakin amazing.

Engineering him would be more about not getting in the way...

Everytime I hear him live it sounds like a record.
Old 12th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Yamaha 02R

I've got an 02 for sale if anyone out there want's to get famous.
Old 12th February 2012
Lives for gear

I find it amazing, really.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
I've got an 02 for sale if anyone out there want's to get famous.
Great ! If I buy that and get a Sony Oxford, I'll by in like Flynn !

I find it amazing that a pre , and adda combo from 1998, could sound this good... The Steinberg N12 must sound even better.... Heck with buying the latest gear.... I'm gonna spend some money on mixing lessons ! heh
Old 12th February 2012
Lives for gear

The tracks were then taken to a couple of top notch studios and mixed on an SSL per Frank's own account found on the Avid site videos. So its more an endorsement for a tracking device than a mixing device.
Old 12th February 2012
Lives for gear

I am remembering wrong. Actually Frank was a big Neve Capricorn guy not Oxford. Here is the link to where it says it was mixed in Studio B at Right Track on the Capricorn:
Billboard - Google Books

McDingus has it right in this case when he says,
Quote:
I'd give the nod to James Taylor.
Have you ever heard him live? It sounds ridiculous. Thats a guy and a group of players that sound amazing everywhere.
On any rig.
Not to discredit the engineer but JT, and I personally don't even LIKE JT, just knows how to sound freakin amazing.
A great engineer such as Frank could have recorded and mixed the entire album on the O2R and it would sound incredible.
CW
Old 12th February 2012
Lives for gear

Yamaha 02R preamps are very good clean preamps.

If the board was used only for recording I don't see that as a surprise and even if a capable guy would be mixing on it with some external FX, anything is possible.

It is not exactly a bad sounding piece of gear.
Old 12th February 2012
Lives for gear

Talented players plus great engineer equal great record! They also had some great mics!
Old 12th February 2012
Gear Head

Agreed, JT sounds great on any format and Frank did a fine job on "Hourglass". All the keys, bass and drums on the record were recorded through the O2R with the exception of one drum fill which was overdubbed at Westlake C (and sounded a bit thinner in my opinion). He used a handful of outboard pres, I'm sorry I can't remember the routing details, but the Yamaha at least did all the AD up-conversion.

Great music can happen with minimal gear. Not much happens the other way around.
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Head

When you hear great audio on a recording you are hearing 90% audio engineer and 10% equipment used. It gets even better when the equipment doesn't get in the way of the awesome sound great musicians and singers are pumping into the console and the preamps in the Yamaha digital consoles do not get in the way. Frank said even when he went to mix at Right Track he wanted to retain the same sounds they were getting on the Yamaha's. If it ain't broke don't fix it. A great testament to Yamaha's digital mixers but even greater testament to the skilled musicians and engineers that made it happen.
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDingus View Post
In this case, I'd give the nod to James Taylor.

On any rig.

Everytime I hear him live it sounds like a record.
This is quite true. I was at a conference with Frank Filipetti a few years ago. Frank said the first time he worked with JT he had 2 mic on him, one on guitar, the other one the vocal. He had a small baffle between the mics. He positioned them with James in a booth, and went into the control room. (I believe this was Jame's barn studio, but I could be wrong). Frank his the talk back ans asked James to sing and play. Frank said "it sounded exactly like you'd expect" and then he joked "I'm a genius." Even Frank Fillipetti admits how much of it is James himself.
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Nut

About 20 years ago I had a mix that just wasn't killing me (4000 G+), took the 2" into the O2R room and that's the one that nailed it. Also mixed a few clunkers on it, any given day I guess.
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Guru

I still have the 02r I bought in 1999 and it still works perfectly. If it has a "sound" it's in the preamps. Clean, a bit bland, a bit "small." 02r tracks come off a bit wimpy next to stuff done through my API's or Buzz or Manley, but an all-02r project, unto itself, sounds just fine.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search