The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
high end patchbays?
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Maniac

high end patchbays?

is there a big difference in quality of patchbays? (sonically?)

can anyone recommend some? I have a small studio so I only use two 1/4" neutrik patchbays at the moment. Is there anything better?
Old 9th May 2006
7om
Gear Maniac

I have been wondering about that as well. Not a lot of info available online. Best I could tell from various articles and forums is that Mosses and Mitchell out of the UK and Audio Accessories in the US are considered high quality, though there are obviously other pro brands. There have been a few articles in Sound on Sound, which recommend "b-gauge" 1/4" connectors, which are not the same as standard audio 1/4" connectors.

I asked Chris Stubbs at Redco, who builds my cables and is quite knowldgeable about cables and connectors and their impact on the signal. They also build patchbays and sell Audio Accessories gear. He didn't think the difference between the small (tt) patchbays and the larger b-gauge would have a meaningful impact on the audio, though others on this forum disagree. Of course, lots of good studios are using tt every day.

Personally, I went with the Audio Accessories "MAXI" connectors. I think they might be a slightly different shape than the b-gauge, though still 1/4". A couple of other interesting patchbay threads on this forum:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...ight=patch+bay
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...ight=patch+bay
Old 9th May 2006
Deleted User
mosses and mitchell bays are the ones that come with ssl consoles. TT points, not 1/4". great bays. they'll last forever if you don't rip patch cables out of them.

remember... insert, and rotate a bit to keep the contacts clean...
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Most of the conventional wisdom here will steer you away from standard 1/4" front/back patchbays. I tend to agree. It's not that they couldn't make them rugged, it's just that most manufacturers don't (Hosa, etc.) use those PC boards that aren't very rugged.

I went with one from "Mr. Patchbay", an ADC 1/4" longframe patchbay with punchdown blocks in the back. Some may say go with soldering connections and do it yourself. I didn't go that far.

The longframe patch cables WILL COST YOU though, beware.

TT patchbays are more dense, but again, soldering and cables will cost you.

If you don't have, or don't plan to have, a ton of connections, go with XLR patchbays, they are probably the best signal path and connection but are way less dense.

Good luck
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

where do you get xlr patchbays?
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for Jesus

I have used the ADC TT bays with no problems ,

My new desk, the Amek APC1000 has 19 TT, 96 point mosses and mitchell patch bays !

they are in great shape and are at least 15 years old

I would defiantly go with the solder type or have someone build them for you,

steve

Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

if its a small home studio - is it better to go with TT still? or quarter inch?
what is better quality?

-Justin
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

One word: Mosses&Mitchell
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
if its a small home studio - is it better to go with TT still? or quarter inch?
what is better quality?

-Justin
I think TT....... and they don't cost that much, but do get the mosses and mitchell if you can.

plus one TT bay is 96 points for only one rack space

as far as quality .... TT

steve

Last edited by stevep; 11th May 2006 at 07:09 AM..
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

How about Bittree?
http://www.bittree.com/http://www.bittree.com/
Do anybody here use them?
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

To avoid an extended journey into buzzing and intermittent Hades, the real key to happiness and long life is SOLID NICKLE CONTACTS. Sorry to shout there, but this is truly vital.

A bay with nickle-plated contacts will not last, and is guaranteed to cause electrical problems down the road (buzz, crackle, HUMMMMMMMM).
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff A. Roberts
To avoid an extended journey into buzzing and intermittent Hades, the real key to happiness and long life is SOLID NICKLE CONTACTS. Sorry to shout there, but this is truly vital.

A bay with nickle-plated contacts will not last, and is guaranteed to cause electrical problems down the road (buzz, crackle, HUMMMMMMMM).
I'm floored that Monster doesn't try to sell one with Gold plated contacts.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer
How about Bittree?
http://www.bittree.com/http://www.bittree.com/
Do anybody here use them?
I have a Bittree and love it. Great build quality,. I may need a second unit, and wouldn't hesitate buying another from them.
Old 11th May 2006
jhg
Lives for gear

Bittree programmable bays

Another vote for Bittree. They have a couple of interesting features: One of their series is programmable by moving jumpers either on the back or under the lid, so you can customize normalling schemes. Another good features is getting bays with the E3 backplane: the connectors look like little molexes, but are actually 3 pin elcos. With the right size crimp tool you can make very strong, fast connections and then just plug into the bay. Very useful for pre-wiring: get the mating hardware overnighted when you order the bays, wire up your gear(or send to integration/harness company) then when the bays arrive it is very quick and painless to get everything up and running.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

If Monster made a bay with gold-plated contacts they'd probably sue everyone that uses gold-plating.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

I use the Neutrik Easy Patch tt bays for their ease of wiring up and changing the normalling. Very expensive but have kept me from spending hours soldering and resoldering over the past eight years.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

i use bitree (long frame 1/4)on video stages a lot, no problems, feel great....as good as i would expect it to be...

i use audio accessories (tt), no problems, great as well (my preferred tt bay)

switchcraft (tt), problems, need constant excercising. If you aren't going to keep these guys working around the clock with patch and repatch....uuuggghhhhh. I've experienced this in at least 3 different rooms that are loaded with them....and they are far from oldh.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Speaking purely from a physics point of view, surely if the conection is a good one it shouldn't matter what shape or size the socket is?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search