The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UA La 610, Distressor Vintech?
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Maniac

UA La 610, Distressor Vintech?

I am currently using a Vintech x73i going into a distressor for Vox........

I am considering the Universal Audio LA 610, for vocals and my outboard compressor, keeping the vintech for my guitars etc.

Does anybody have any experience w/ these? Would the la610 be a good replacement for my distressor? I know most will say stupid question, just want anybody's thoughts.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Maniac

forgot to put,,,, this would also give me two great pre's instead of one w/ a distressor....
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

dont get rid of your distressor.

it would be better to get the ua610 solo.

2 pres and distressor.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumadrum
dont get rid of your distressor.

it would be better to get the ua610 solo.

2 pres and distressor.
I agree.. do not sell the distressor.. the UA LA-610 is "supposed" to be similar to having a M-610 and an LA-2A, since it uses the same style "T4" opto-cell for compression tasks that the LA-2A uses.. but upon further examination at UA's website,

UA LA-610 Product Page

it seems that the "T4" compressor is of a new design. I have heard people praise this unit (specifically that it "flatters" some inexpensive mics), but have heard more people complain that perhaps too many corners were cut when bringing this unit to an "affordable" price point. Obviously it isn't the same as a M-610 + LA-2A (price about $4000 together) at the price of $1500.

Consider either the SOLO M/610 preamp at $800 or the M-610 single-channel preamp at $1100... this is a great preamp that you probably won't regret adding to your collection.. as to the differences between the rackmount M-610 and the standalone SOLO unit, I am quite confused.. I can only say that I like the M-610 and cannot say whether the SOLO sounds identically.

Of course, if you can afford it, the LA-2A is fantastic and complements the Distressor nicely (IMHO a great vocal chain: a good preamp to an LA-2A and then to a distressor for serious peaking).

Happy hunting!
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Maniac

yeah I think I'm going to just send my distressor in and get the britt mod, because I love having all the options.... I make so many rash decisions based on a whim, thanks for the advice, I've learned to just post my stupid questions before I act upon them.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

I also have a vintech X73i and Run my TLM103 through it for vocals on the daily but only have a crappy dbx160x compressor. How do you like the distressor on the vintech for vocals? What would you guys suggest for a mid ranged priced compressor?
Old 10th May 2006
tsd
Gear Maniac

i can tell you if you buy a LA 610 thinking that the compressor will sound like an La2a you will be VERY disappointed. its more like a joe meek opto comp than anything else.

there are also better sounding tube mic pres to the 610 for similar $$$. i would get a telefunken!
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I think it sounds amazing through the distressor but theres not really any color added, even when emulating the 1176 or la2a, I don't really notice anything but clean hard compression..... It's great but all I use it for is bass, guitars, and vox, so as I get bored very easy and want a very coloured sound....... I just wonder........
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Addict

Thanks for the reply, I think I will def be picking one up for I will be doing a lot of drum work and feel i'll be using it quite often on various instruments and definatly vocals.
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Addict

My M610 through a Distressor is my favorite for most vocalists. I think the UA has gorgeous detail.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search