The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
dbx 162...stereo brother of dbx 160?
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Head

dbx 162...stereo brother of dbx 160?

Can anyone tell me if the DBX 162 stereo compressor is simply a stereo version of the old dbx 160VU?

More importantly, are they built the same i.e. no sonic differences to be heard?

Thx,
SD
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yes they are. They sounded the same to me. The only problem with the 162 is that is pretty much a one trick pony. It is cool as a drum sub compressor, or a room compressor, but since it is only a stereo compressor it is pretty limited. It doesn't sound good as a buss compressor. (2-mix compressor) and I haven't really liked it on much else. The occasional acoustic guitar or elec gtr but there are a lot of choices that sound better before that.

Given some of the prices I have seen them go for lately, save your money. Go for a pair of 160's or 161's if you want that sound.

Just my 02 cents,
Michael Greene
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
No, they're not. The 160 uses the 202 VCA module. The 162 uses a matched transistor pair in front of a TL08x opamp. The 160 uses a 301 opamp on the outputs, a slew limiter. They track a bit differently. They are in demand on the left coast. I've done many replacing all those opamps, power supply, capacitors, they can sound first rate making the 160's sound dirty in comparison.

One highly underrated squasher.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
I once again stand corrected by my friend Jim Wiliams. He knows his stuff. It seems better than I do. I still don't care for them although as Jim said. They are a "Squasher"

I guess it just depends on if you like the trick that that pony can do.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

I think they sound very similar. I have both and use them a lot. I recommend the 162, one just sold here on gearlutz for $500-600.
Old 9th October 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio View Post
Yes they are. They sounded the same to me. The only problem with the 162 is that is pretty much a one trick pony. It is cool as a drum sub compressor, or a room compressor, but since it is only a stereo compressor it is pretty limited. It doesn't sound good as a buss compressor. (2-mix compressor) and I haven't really liked it on much else. The occasional acoustic guitar or elec gtr but there are a lot of choices that sound better before that.

Given some of the prices I have seen them go for lately, save your money. Go for a pair of 160's or 161's if you want that sound.

Just my 02 cents,
Michael Greene
No release time either, so use as drum sub is limited too. might work nicely on acoustic piano?

But when it works on drums....it's great!
Old 9th October 2007
Gear Nut

they have the same control circuit, that's why they sound similar,
but signal path, rms-module and vca is different...
Old 9th October 2007
Lives for gear

Stereo Step- Brother
Old 9th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Love the 162 on a parrallel drum buss. I just did some mixes in a room with a TG1, Vac-Rac (TSL-2), Manley Vari-Mu, pair of Distressors, Smart C2, and an SSL buss comp.......on more than half the tracks the 162 ended up on the drum buss.
Old 9th October 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
No, they're not. The 160 uses the 202 VCA module. The 162 uses a matched transistor pair in front of a TL08x opamp. The 160 uses a 301 opamp on the outputs, a slew limiter. They track a bit differently. They are in demand on the left coast. I've done many replacing all those opamps, power supply, capacitors, they can sound first rate making the 160's sound dirty in comparison.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Hey Jim, to clarify you are talking about the Blue 160s and 160 SL right?
Old 9th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Hey Jim, to clarify you are talking about the Blue 160s and 160 SL right?
im pretty sure hes talking the o.g. ones..
Old 21st December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
Love the 162 on a parrallel drum buss. I just did some mixes in a room with a TG1, Vac-Rac (TSL-2), Manley Vari-Mu, pair of Distressors, Smart C2, and an SSL buss comp.......on more than half the tracks the 162 ended up on the drum buss.
DBX 162 is the coolest drum buss compressor I've used. Just bought one and rebuilt it!
Old 22nd December 2019
Lives for gear

Love them, fantastic Compresser easy so clean just useful on anything needed in that time you are running out of compression I’m talking about the SL Blue here. Built like old Vintage Roland equipment from the 1970’s Dimension D to Phasers etc. O.G models maybe darker more tricky less steady in holding signal unless totally overhauled.
Old 22nd December 2019
I have had several 162's and 160/161's that had fried CA3083 transistor arrays in the RMS detector. Those are out of production, Renesas was the last maker of that part. It consists of 5 NPN transistors. I end up making my own out of 5 matched super low noise transistors, that works very well with added reliability.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search