The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What do you guys use your Telefunken V72's/Mercury M72s on most?
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

What do you guys use your Telefunken V72's/Mercury M72s on most?

I have the Mercury and don't use it much except for vocals. I was wondering what else this thing shines on. I haven't had much time to experiment and before I do, just wanted some ideas. Thanks
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear
fattening up digital keyboards.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

It's a cool distortion box. thumbsup
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

soft-fat-thick
whatever you like to sound in that direction.
synths YES
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Addict

Snare and Elec Gui. Room Mic's - if you're doing a dirtier band, let them break up a tiny bit.

I have 4 V72's and 2 V78's modded to be V72's.

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI
Old 8th May 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Vocals and synths so far with my M72's. The DI in the Mercury is good for synths and bass guitar, and the M72's are good if you want to *round* something out a bit. I have never tried it on snare as mentioned in Bobby's post above and would be curious to try that. I have some Tab V78's which are similar I guess, and I use those as room mic pres, electric guitar pres, bass cabinet mic pres (no DI in the V78) and vocal pres.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

i'd use my v72's for *anything*... vocals, guitars, bass, horns, grand piano, synths...
perhaps they aren't my very first choice for something that needs to sound extremely bright and punchy. but their smooth and creamy tone suits my sonics needs amazingly well. i have some other preamps in my studio (a couple of v276's, a custom made brauner tube mic pre, a chandler tg channel mk2, moreover recently i'm considering to buy a germanium...), but i'd still say that my two v72-modules are my main preamps. hence my avatar picture...

check the songs on my myspace site if you want to know from what perspective i'm writing these lines. i like a smooth, fat and "soulful" sound... heh
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Head

Is the TAB-Funkenwerk V78M at all corresponding to the V72? And are they coming out with a V72s (stereo w/DI's) as it appears on their web site?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 9th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by canopener
Is the TAB-Funkenwerk V78M at all corresponding to the V72? And are they coming out with a V72s (stereo w/DI's) as it appears on their web site?

Thanks,

Jim
I believe that the V72s is their first mic pre, pre-dating the V78 by several years. I've owned their V72s for probably 4 years and use it for piano, drum overheads and acoustic instruments. It is a very versatile preamp that is dearly loved at our joint.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Head

Right-o. Thanks for the clarification. I'm looking for another, and complimentary, flavor to a GTQ2-Mkll in my very stripped down operation here.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

That's what I use in my stripped down operation: a GTQII and a V78M. I just got the V78M, so I haven't had much time to do anything other than run vocals through it, and for that, I'm liking it. It's a nice complement to the GTQ.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Head

Thanks for the feedback...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search