The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
670-esque?
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Maniac

670-esque?

Anyone used the ADL 670?

I am in the market for a 670 type compressor, and I have heard good things about the ADL, but also about the EAR 660, and the Tube Equipment corporations SR-71 fairchild - esque replica. A person I trust very much was claiming the SR-71 is pretty amazing... Just seeing if anyone has tried any of these, or heard anything about any of them. I have used the actual 670 a few times, but I really dont need to spend more than 20k on a compressor. I am PRAYING that the SR-71 is completely killing, because it is the "cheapest" of the bunch at 7500 dollars [not including shipping the 44 lb beast] for the stereo unit. I just want a super classic compressor like this, as I have LOTS of great ones already (from STA-LEVELS to AM864/U's, 33609, Collins 26W, collins 26-1U, gates 6144... you know, that kind of stuff) but I have to actually USE the thing every day, not havee it sit in some half working shape, kind of just taking up space (i dont have) in the rack. I also dont want something I need to spend a billion dollars on in repairs and unreasonable upkeep. I know the "responsibilities" of owning classic vintage gear well, but I need a workhorse, like the 33609 but tube... Really I just want a 670 that is in great shape, but hell if I can find one for under a zillion dollars. 15k, OK! 30k, no chance, man.. I will rent...

Any ideas?

I like the idea of the Tube equipment corp's thingy... I am glad it is reasonable, and a cool, handmade piece to cherish. I also like supporting cool, small companies.
Check out a pic of it here:

http://www.tubeequipment.com/
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

I wish I had the oppurtunity to compare the units to the original

Jason
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

hi

i've mixed through an orig 670 and found it amazing. was in the same boat as you and sourced a used EAR 660.

absolutely amazing on vocs and bass. i've got 33609, cranesongs, manleys, 1176's, distressors, etc. but this is in a league of it's own, IMHO.

decided to torture myself so i did a mix in mono through it. WHOA NELLIE!!! it's the real deal and i actually liked the cymbals more than what i remember of the 670 (apparently the EAR has extended hi freq in comparision)

so i've sourced another 660 (here on GS !!!!) and it's in transit right now. i'm gonna link those puppies up !

they ain't cheap but they're amazing on the 2 bus and i LOVE them for tracking as well.

there was a demo one at Funky Junk, France website... maybe you can get lucky on a 2nd as well.
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Poulin
I wish I had the oppurtunity to compare the units to the original

Jason
I am not sweating it in that way. I just want to know that anyone has checked out any one of these. If one is "better" than the other, for any reason, not just that it is more or less "like a fairchild."

I know of a couple of people that have the ADL670's, and they are people that could probably afford the original. I am just not stressing over the brand too much. I would love to hear more about any of these so called "670-esque" comps though...
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

My ADL 670 is fabulous

Joel;
I've done a brief sonic comparison with an original Farchild 670 and my ADL.
My findings,
In short, these are the same animal, dressed in different clothes.
Anthony went to great pains to do the first and only REAL CLONE of the original!

Anyhow,
A funny little note, after using his 670 for a while I asked Tony why it exhibited a few certain funny operational quirks, especially in the stereo mode.
And he said....
I haven't a clue, I didn't design this thing, I only copied an original.

That being said, I love mine....
I'm sure some of the others you mentioned are great...
I myself am considering the SR71 as a future purchase...as well as a Fairman
But if it is the real thing (sound) your looking for, either buy a original or get Tony to make you one...if he has any parts left?

In the meantime if you wanna play with one of his ADL 670's, your welcome to come up here do a mix, cut a track, or whatever you'd like, anytime I'm free.
Tony lives nearby, so I can have him come over if you'd like shoot the ****, and we'll all have a beer afterwards....

Paul
www.millbrooksoundstudios.com
Attached Thumbnails
670-esque?-670.jpg  
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Thanks everyone.

Paul, that is sort of what I was suspecting. I knew it would really come down to either a pair of EAR's or an ADL... I think my wallet was hoping it was gonna be the SR-71 more than I was..
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Never used the other clones but have used the originals and Ears. I like the EAR and felt it was pretty close
Old 9th May 2006
A pair of the Mercurys would be around $15k

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search