The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Original LA2A.....What's the point?
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Original LA2A.....What's the point?

Ok, I realise that was a leading question for Gearslutz', but....

I have a chance of buying a very old LA2A for around £2375 ($4500). My heart is saying buy it but the logical side of me is putting up a really good argument for not going for it.

What do I have to look out for in something as old as this? Might I get it home, try it and within a week the valves pack in? How easy is it to replace them? Is there something else I should be looking at? Have I already got enough gear that does the job (please don't laugh at that one!!) I have a Manley Vari Mu and a Thermionic Phoenix.

Please reassure me so that I can put a large hole in my bank balance!

Steve
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

If it were me, I would buy a brand new LA2A. When you're spending that much money you want a least a 12mth warranty! The new ones are supposed to be a component for component replica. I know there's the great feeling of owning genuine vintage gear but with a re-issue as good as that is it worth it? Surely it's the sound you want not the antique!
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Guru

there are a few pieces of gear which have absolutely no equal and for which it's hard to accept a substitute once you've played with the real deal: la-2a, pultec, space echo. there are devices which come close, so if you're happy with 'close' than buy the ua reissue.

ime, the old la-2a's are simply magical, and they're not easy to come by. they will do things to the human voice, or a kick, or bass, or acoustics, that nothing else can do. the re-issue will indeed put a big smile on your face, but the original will make your soul warm all over.

they're also dead easy to repair and/or upgrade. i haven't shopped for the old ones lately so i've no idea if your price is in line with the market. if it is, and you can afford it, just do it. resale will not be a problem.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa
Ok, I realise that was a leading question for Gearslutz', but....

I have a chance of buying a very old LA2A for around £2375 ($4500). My heart is saying buy it but the logical side of me is putting up a really good argument for not going for it.

What do I have to look out for in something as old as this? Might I get it home, try it and within a week the valves pack in? How easy is it to replace them? Is there something else I should be looking at? Have I already got enough gear that does the job (please don't laugh at that one!!) I have a Manley Vari Mu and a Thermionic Phoenix.

Please reassure me so that I can put a large hole in my bank balance!

Steve
How old are we talking?
For that price you could fly to the states, buy a Groove Tubes Glory comp and still have money left over.

$4500 would get you 3 x Purple Audio MC77's too.
Or a pair of distressors and an MC77.

I understand though- I paid an awful lot of money for a '62 Fender Bassman recently. Sometimes you just gotta have it.

James
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hi

I personally think the price is very high ... i bought one of the Hit Factory original LA-2A's and it was $2500USD. I know Mike at Vintage King was selling his personal one as well and it was well under the $4500USD price you are mentioning.

Just a though.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondjames
How old are we talking?
For that price you could fly to the states, buy a Groove Tubes Glory comp and still have money left over.

$4500 would get you 3 x Purple Audio MC77's too.
Or a pair of distressors and an MC77.

James
Got to admit that does sound attractive....

will find out tomorrow for certain about age, he just said very old....
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

I got mine... serial #310 for $2400 on eBay. Picked it up in person though. It really does something magical to everything that goes into it. It not only adds some really good stuff, but it also takes away all the bad stuff! Which in my book is pretty magical.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell
I got mine... serial #310 for $2400 on eBay. Picked it up in person though. It really does something magical to everything that goes into it. It not only adds some really good stuff, but it also takes away all the bad stuff! Which in my book is pretty magical.

Did you think about replacements before you bought or did you just go for it? Had any problems since buying?
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

3,500 is the most you should pay for the best of the vintage LA2As.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'd sell the new vari-mu, get a vintage vari-mu, and forget the LA2A altogether.
Old 8th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetness
3,500 is the most you should pay for the best of the vintage LA2As.
Yeah, I was going to say $3000...
Old 8th May 2006
Here for the gear

Mine's an old one and I paid less than two grand for it.

There's no doubt that it's a lovely unit.
Old 8th May 2006
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rich
Mine's an old one and I paid less than two grand for it.

There's no doubt that it's a lovely unit.
That's for sure. And as long as it's not rusty inside, you can refurbish it or have it refurbished. Figure another $1000 for that.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

If you are really set on an LA2, then check this one out.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USED-TELETRONI...QQcmdZViewItem

Not mine, I was just cruising ebay and came across it.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
there are a few pieces of gear which have absolutely no equal and for which it's hard to accept a substitute once you've played with the real deal: la-2a, pultec, space echo. there are devices which come close, so if you're happy with 'close' than buy the ua reissue.

ime, the old la-2a's are simply magical, and they're not easy to come by. they will do things to the human voice, or a kick, or bass, or acoustics, that nothing else can do. the re-issue will indeed put a big smile on your face, but the original will make your soul warm all over.

they're also dead easy to repair and/or upgrade. i haven't shopped for the old ones lately so i've no idea if your price is in line with the market. if it is, and you can afford it, just do it. resale will not be a problem.

gregoire
del ubik

Very well said. I can add no more. Get the original (thought that prices seems a bit high... shop around)!
Old 8th May 2006
Moderator emeritus

There's one for $2400 through Pro Audio Design - Give them a call...
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

I was in the same boat - bought a sqeeze box - works for me
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

I just did a shootout and an analysis of the reissue LA2A transformer vs. a real HA100x used with the same reissue unit. I posted my findings in Dave Hecht's forum over at ProSoundWeb.com, if you are intersted. The new transformer while pretty nice, is not an HA100x and there is some charm missing to be very frank. I have now modded both of mine with old HA100x's and I am quite happy.
Old 9th May 2006
tsd
Gear Maniac

i always try to track vocals thru the la2a, it can be doing 10 or 15db of squish without being able to notice it at all. it has no vocal comp equal!!!
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Plus they open from the front! Lets see a reissue do that!
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Man, someone should be able to build a new version of this unit for less than $3000 US. Or a new unit for $2500 US.

It's just crazy.

I mean what magic is happening with the components of this unit?

There only seems to be about 100 components which all should have higher current tolerences and better specs than those components in a device delivered in 1968. Not even taking into account stress on the components over almost 40 years.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cayocosta...parts_list.xls
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Buy a SQUEEZEBOX !!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search