The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AML 500 Series 54F50 Compressor, Anyone?
Old 7th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Marinelis View Post
Thank you so much.
Old 19th July 2017
Here for the gear

G'day guys!

I just ordered the AML 54F50, it should arrive Friday, I am pretty excited about giving this a good test out on a mix and tracking with it. Would it help you guys if I post a video with it and maybe the files?
Old 20th July 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygroove View Post
G'day guys!

I just ordered the AML 54F50, it should arrive Friday, I am pretty excited about giving this a good test out on a mix and tracking with it. Would it help you guys if I post a video with it and maybe the files?
That would be great ! If you can even gain between the compressed signal and non compressed signal when making a video so we can really see what's all about.. good presentation on vocals would be great.. Thanks
Old 21st July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
G'day guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavengroove View Post
That would be great ! If you can even gain between the compressed signal and non compressed signal when making a video so we can really see what's all about.. good presentation on vocals would be great.. Thanks

Yes, please! Compensating levels and compressing vocals would be awesome.
Thank you!
Old 22nd July 2017
Here for the gear

Link to files

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavengroove View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by szmola View Post
Yes, please! Compensating levels and compressing vocals would be awesome.
Thank you!
Hi guys!

I opened up a old project "What I Love Most" in a folk / singer songwriter genre - which had some dynamic vocals.

I took a video of me turning the AML 54F50 off / on, but you can't really hear it compressed and through the iPhone, so I have:

1. taken a screen shot of the settings used
2. uploaded two mp3s and .aif files (44.1k /24 bit) of the first to second verse, both are titled accordingly, basically one has no compression, and the other has compression

There was a considerable volume difference between the two versions, so I turned the channel of the AML 54F50 down approx. -5 db to compensate.

3. I also included the video - apologies for the 'hairy' hand that kept appearing to turn the unit on / off

LINK to folder here

Let me know if you need anything else

Warmest

Last edited by kittygroove; 22nd July 2017 at 09:06 PM..
Old 22nd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi guys!

I opened up a old project "What I Love Most" in a folk / singer songwriter genre - which had some dynamic vocals.

I took a video of me turning the AML 54F50 off / on, but you can't really hear it compressed and through the iPhone, so I have:

2. uploaded two mp3s and .aif files (44.1k /24 bit) of the first to second verse, both are titled accordingly, basically one has no compression, and the other has compression

There was a considerable volume difference between the two versions, so I turned the channel of the AML 54F50 down approx. -5 db to compensate.

3. I also included the video - apologies for the 'hairy' hand that kept appearing to turn the unit on / off

LINK to folder here

Warmest
Thank you very much. It helped me a lot to see how AML works. I'm mainly recording female vocals so this is exactly what I needed to hear.
From all examples I could find, AMS 2254/R sounds the best for my taste. AML also sounds great but I like AMS better because it keeps highs smoother and it 'slows' audio in pleasing way while AML brings some kind of sparkle and pushes audio forward which I believe can also be a good thing in some occasions.
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi guys!

LINK to folder here

Warmest
Thanks very much. Although surprised a little bit I guess I got it better what kind of compression it is. It's very subtle if I'm not wrong. Not the kind of compression that change the shape and 3d image of the material in a way La2a or 1176 is doing when this amount of compression is engaged, it's more that it just adds that nice pillowy, almost invisible star dust.
Old 27th December 2018
Hey guys, sorry to wake up this old thread.

I have two AML 54F50 and they sound amazing as you already know.

I've been trying to get a hold of the manual because of two reasons:

1. What does the "sys" switch do?
2. In the compression meter window, i'm guessing the amount of compression is measured from down to up? (the least amount of compression is showing the meter at the bottom).

If AML is reading this, thank you for making a product sound this good, it is somewhere in all of my productions nowadays.
Old 27th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscardvine View Post
Hey guys, sorry to wake up this old thread.

I have two AML 54F50 and they sound amazing as you already know.

I've been trying to get a hold of the manual because of two reasons:

1. What does the "sys" switch do?
2. In the compression meter window, i'm guessing the amount of compression is measured from down to up? (the least amount of compression is showing the meter at the bottom).

If AML is reading this, thank you for making a product sound this good, it is somewhere in all of my productions nowadays.
Hi,
Sys (system) , is a system in/out swhitch. Think of it as a bypass swhitch.
Yes, gain reduction is shown when the in/gr/out meter switch is in the "gr" position and it is measured bottom to top
Old 27th December 2018
Lives for gear

If the System switch is the same as in the 2254ez then you have the choice to pass audio through the transformers without Gain Reduction.

Herwig
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Who's Using Them... they just get everywhere ?

YouTube

They have been at British Grove for some years now.... "front and centre" location behind the operator..... the Neve 2254 rack was demoted to another studio...

[The video is part of a VLOG series from Pete Townsend... there are several more... some show the incredibly cool gear they have].
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slenderchap View Post
Who's Using Them... they just get everywhere ?

YouTube

They have been at British Grove for some years now.... "front and centre" location behind the operator..... the Neve 2254 rack was demoted to another studio...

[The video is part of a VLOG series from Pete Townsend... there are several more... some show the incredibly cool gear they have].
Love my pair of 54f50’s - Big sounding, musical and sweet as can be. Been enjoying them on lots of different sources and in stereo on the Drum Buss. Just killer
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear
54F50 owners—
Does anyone know if they have internal output trimmers? The outputs of mine differ by several dB (but not by whatever multiples the stepped makeup gain uses, so I can’t solve the problem that way).
Thanks!
Old 19th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808KickDrum View Post
54F50 owners—
Does anyone know if they have internal output trimmers? The outputs of mine differ by several dB (but not by whatever multiples the stepped makeup gain uses, so I can’t solve the problem that way).
Thanks!
On the middle PCB, the trimmers along the top edge are as follows from front to back:

Meter Input Trim
Meter Output Trim
Overall Gain Trim (the one you need)*
Meter G/R Trim

*It says "set gain" on the PCB just above it.

However, if it is "several dB" I would not expect that to be an adjustment issue ?

Colin
Audio Maintenance Limited - Support Zone
Old 19th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808KickDrum View Post
54F50 owners—
Thanks!
Yeah, if you can’t fix that discrepancy with the output trim, something isn’t right. The makeup gain on my pair is pretty well matched.
Old 19th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by slenderchap View Post
On the middle PCB, the trimmers along the top edge are as follows from front to back:

Meter Input Trim
Meter Output Trim
Overall Gain Trim (the one you need)*
Meter G/R Trim

*It says "set gain" on the PCB just above it.

However, if it is "several dB" I would not expect that to be an adjustment issue ?

Colin
Audio Maintenance Limited - Support Zone
Colin, thanks so much for your response. I’ll give the gain trim a shot. If that doesn’t work, I’ll let you know.

I’m in Nashville. Assuming something else is the issue, would you recommend I use vintage king for service?
Thanks again.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search