The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rage against The machine Sound
Old 18th January 2012
Several years ago those guys were to do a free concert in LA at the Paladium in Hollywood. Anyway, they cancelled at the last minute as the crowd was rowdy.

That must have given them their ideas for the Battle of Los Angeles as the crowd was pissed off and destroyed the stage, all the gear and sound equipment, it was shown on TV here.

I recall some guys lifting off the large Yamaha PM-4000 console and flipping it off the stage onto it's face. That was some fun video to watch.

That day it was rage against the Rage. I suspect they have improved their security since then.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Several years ago those guys were to do a free concert in LA at the Paladium in Hollywood. Anyway, they cancelled at the last minute as the crowd was rowdy.

That must have given them their ideas for the Battle of Los Angeles as the crowd was pissed off and destroyed the stage, all the gear and sound equipment, it was shown on TV here.

I recall some guys lifting off the large Yamaha PM-4000 console and flipping it off the stage onto it's face. That was some fun video to watch.

That day it was rage against the Rage. I suspect they have improved their security since then.
Would love to see that! Is there a Youtube link?
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Bass Synth Doubles Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommiWDS View Post
Other than the Rage against the machine sound being much deeper. Can anyone tell me where they recorded the first album, what system & microphones were used & any interesting mixing techniques used by Andy Wallace? If anyone knows of anywhere I can find this info that would be helpful.
T
If you listen close, you can hear the bass is doubled with a synth. "Killing in the Name of" you can hear it clearly.

I know Garth used this technique on first "Trapt" record, which was also mixed by Andy Wallace.

MT Studios
Old 18th January 2012
Harmless Wacko

Well...

If ya go back and actually READ the thread, there is a fair bit of accurate information already provided about the equipment used in the making to the eponymous first record by people who would know.

Anyhoo.

Here's a detailed list of the vast majority of what was in the control room at the time of mix, which, if memory serves, was about July-August 92', to lazy to go look:

SSL 4056E loaded 48/TR

Drawmer DS201(3)
Orban 622b
Valley MaxiQ(4)
Valley Kepex(3)
Valley GainBrain(3)
Lang PEQ4
Lang PEQ2
DBX 165a(2)
Urei 1176
TubeTech EQ(2)

EMT 252
Lexicon 224XL
Quantec QRS
AMS DMX15-80
TC 2290
Eventide 949
Yamaha REV-5
Yamaha REV-7
Yamaha SPX-90
Yamaha SPX-90II
Lexicon PCM70
Lexicon PCM42 w/samp

Studer A800(2)
Lynx Timeline
Studer A80 1/2" w/CTC
Otari MX5050 1/4"
Panasonic SV3700

UREI 813-C
Yamaha NS-10's
EV Sentry 100's
Bryston amps

There ya have it.

Maybe now we can start to put this zombie to bed.

Best regards,

SM.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
Maybe now we can start to put this zombie to bed.

no I'm still here......lurking......always lurking

Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear
Evil Empire was mostly recorded at a rehearsal stuiod (Cole, I think) in LA and some overdubs and vocs were finished in ATL at Southern Tracks.

Battle of LA was tracked mostly at A&M/ Henson in LA and overdubs/ vocs finished in ATL at Southern Tracks. This album was mixed at Southern Tracks as well.

Both records are all on 456 tape... no Protools. Drums, bass & guitar usually go down live together and are all 'keeper' takes. Guitar and bass went through Neve 1066/ 1073. Guitar was usually an SM57 with a U87 or KM86. Bass was DI plus 2 amps. The 2nd amp had a distortion pedal in front. A lot of the tracks were a Tama Bell Brass snare. Zack did a lot of vocals in the control room with a hand-held mic. 58 or RE20.

Battle of LA mixed on the SSL at Southern Tracks back to 1/2" 456. Not too many tracks, not too much stuff plugged in for the mix.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louderock View Post

Both records are all on 456 tape... no Protools. Drums, bass & guitar usually go down live together and are all 'keeper' takes.

wow thats a pro level tight tight group

was the drummer playing to a click also at the same time?
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie H View Post
wow thats a pro level tight tight group

was the drummer playing to a click also at the same time?
If memory serves me correctly, I think most of the tunes were done without a click.

They would often record in the same room together.... the bleed would just be part of the sound.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
rap metal was started by anthrax
I don't think so, it was started by the Urban Dance Squad. The guys from RATM repeatedly said it in interviews as well. After they heard them they decided this was the genre they were after. UDS started in 1986.

Nice a youtube link with a UDS song and a RATM picture Not from '86 but from the early '90 I guess.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Cole... So much for the claim of acoustically badass room. Unless a box with almost no treatment is considered state of the art acoustics.
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

technically you could say 'Walk This Way' with Aerosmith and Run DMC was the first example mainstream
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear
Well, not exactly as the OP is dicussing a sub genre of "gitar music".
Old 19th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demor View Post
I don't think so, it was started by the Urban Dance Squad. The guys from RATM repeatedly said it in interviews as well. After they heard them they decided this was the genre they were after. UDS started in 1986.

Nice a youtube link with a UDS song and a RATM picture Not from '86 but from the early '90 I guess.

I'm pretty sure that particualr Urban Dance Squad song was released 2 years after Rage Against The Machine's debut album. Your overall point is still valid though.
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demor View Post

anthrax started rap metal
Urban Dance Squad was a rap 'rock' band that sound just like the peppers
chili peppers were the first rock band to rap
faith no more brought it to mainstream
it doesn't matter what rage says
they probably say their riffs don't sound like black sabbath either
I love rage but it is what it is
Old 19th January 2012
Gear Addict

all this talk about rage, any of you listen to inside out, my buddy vic played on it
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louderock View Post
If memory serves me correctly, I think most of the tunes were done without a click.

They would often record in the same room together.... the bleed would just be part of the sound.

oh sorry didn't see you responded again thanks

wow and no major issues from tempo drift?

thats really impressive to me that they recorded so live off the floor like that
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

I remember being able to program a clicktrack to their hits. They are very consistent in dropping the tempo in the heavy riffs. Always to the exact same tempo, indicating tempo maps were used.

Herwig
Old 17th February 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie H View Post
wow and no major issues from tempo drift?

thats really impressive to me that they recorded so live off the floor like that
Classic bands did it for years
Live band no click=human performance.
Sad all the grid addicted bands out there now
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
Musicians tend to have a lot to do with sound. A Neve board isn't going to make a piece of ****e band sound good.
Thats for sure. We were trained on a Neve console in college and boy did we churn out some painful ****e on that thing.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Classic bands did it for years
Live band no click=human performance.
Sad all the grid addicted bands out there now
exactly.

you know, that thing they call “feel......”

the grid is great at minimizing that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search