The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Room Isolation Question
Old 6th May 2006
Gear Head

Room Isolation Question

So... Right now my studio is pretty much a loft with open space for hanging out, writing, yada yada. Pics are <a href=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d101/tragedybysyntax/2.gif>HERE</a><br><a href=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d101/tragedybysyntax/1.gif>and HERE</a><br><a href=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d101/tragedybysyntax/straighton.gif>and HERE</a> (old pics but you get the point)

The entire room is basicly a controll and live room but in the one corner of the studio (not in the pics) I have decided to build a vocal booth for super verb free vocals. Now as far as mixing...... My room is 30x30 with hardwood floors, and 15' ceilings. I was thinking to keep from having to build walls and such which I really dont want to do... to cancel out some of the verb and such while mixing if it would be a good idea to maybe hang one of those iso absorbers from the ceiling over where I sit infront of the computer?
One of those things where for Drums.. it's a great live sound but on the other side of the room where I'm mixing and recording..... i'd like it to be fairly true, I"m not doing the final mix here with verb and such but still.. it'd be nice to be more sound. Any Ideas fellas? THANKS!!
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Head

any1?
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Guru

> any1? <

I might have answered, but I didn't see any specific questions. What are you looking for? Advice on room setup? Acoustic treatment? Isolation to neighbors? All of the above?

--Ethan
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Head

f the neighbors... i do get bleed into my room from rooms upstairs and rooms next to me but... what can I do...... it's 2 layers of dry wall, some wood and some carpet on each side under the drywall. Early morning...nobody is down there so... heh.

Pretty much, room setup ideas and what to use for mixing with less verb heard in the room itself. Most of the music I make and produce is electronic and direct guitars mostly.
Drums/Vocals/Acoustic Guitar are the only things mic'd.
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Addict

Placing absorption near your mix position is a good idea -- this can include hanging "clouds" (as you described) to reduce ceiling reflections reaching you when mixing. If that's not enough, you could try surrounding your mix area with gobos. These should be absorptive only (fiberglass or other porous material), not sound-blocking (no plywood or drywall). The idea here is not to create sound separation between the mix area and the rest of the room, but just to reduce the level of the reflected sound returning from the room.
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Guru

> f the neighbors... <

That's the attitude! heh

> room setup ideas and what to use for mixing with less verb heard in the room itself. <

Jaj has the right idea - absorption to tame reflections. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. Maybe this is what you're looking for:

www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search