The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Questions for the Telefunken guys!
Old 6th May 2006

Questions for the Telefunken guys!

I had a Telefunken USA 251 E in my studio this week. What a mic. I'm considering buying one. Now here's my question;

I few years back I was told that the E version had hand selected capsules that were superior to the cheaper F series and it made a difference in the sound and that the power supply was better in the E which also made the sound superior. But I vaguely remember people saying that it had changed and the capsules were the same. I also remember talking to Dave from TelefunkenUSA and him saying that the capsules are the same.

Does anyone know definetively what is true?

Does the power supply sound weak on the F compared to the E?

Has anyone A/B'ed an E and F?

As you can see I'm trying to save 2K. I don't care about flight cases.

Last edited by James Lugo; 6th May 2006 at 06:06 PM..
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

FWIW,

I'm not sure of the component or sound differences between the 2, tho from a reliable source, I hear Doug Walker of Walker Microphones (just down the road from me) is tuning the "E" capsules by hand: he is one of the most sought after guys in the world now that Stephen Paul is gone, and TeleUSA chose him as the guru to make the 'magic'.

Other than that, the rest is speculation (on my part!)

Hope this helps!
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

James, can you get an "E" and an "F" from Tele USA and shoot them out, or are you buying 2nd hand?
Old 6th May 2006

I started looking at second hand but I'm not sure. Thanks guys.
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

Little OT but, I was flipping through a Music Connection magazine yesterday here in Seattle, and saw your pic/ad in there James, and I was like "Hey - I know that dude." heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search