The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann KH120 VS Pelonis 42 VS KS-Digital C5 ? Studio Monitors
Old 1st February 2012
Lives for gear

Are the Neumanns good for acoustic stuff?What would be the best in that range?
Old 1st February 2012
i've heard some of the Pelonis stuff...fantastic.

i purchased the Neumann KH120. can't beat
the price. so far, they sound great on anything
i throw at it.

marty.
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

We have a pair C5 as nearfields and I cannot praise them high enough. Great stereo image and depth, fairly neutral, very small (doesn´t disturb the mains or the view through the window), they go loud if necessary and do the Tannoy thing - to be honest better than my SRM10B.
I´ve heard the KH120 only once and thought the lowend is hyped and unnatural sounding. But many people seam to like that, esp. when not used to work with mains.
Never heard the Pelonis before.
Old 2nd February 2012
That is some precious information!

I hear you on the 'hyped' low end of the KH120... That's exactly what I want to avoid! And the visual distraction of 'too big' nearfiled speakers is also a problem with me. My mains (JBL 4430) are positioned in such way that any bigger nearfield speakers than let's say C5's would be a problem.

I read the KS Digital are very bright... Are they TOO bright? What's your opinion? Of course, I won't ask them to go as low as my 15" mains, but are they usuable in the lows as well?
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

The C5 lows are surprisingly solid and very controlled. They don´t try to be more than they actually are. Datasheets says they go down to 65Hz. Compared to my (ex) NS10s they seem to go further down. As you have mains they´d be fine. Without mains I´d get the C55 for more extended lowend.
The highs are not bright in my book. Clear and detailed is how I´d describe them. Of course it´s a matter of taste.
Is there a KS dealer in Canada? If so try to get a pair for demo. They will speak for their own.
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann View Post
I´ve heard the KH120 only once and thought the lowend is hyped and unnatural sounding.
Measurement and many reviews says the opposite.
Old 2nd February 2012
Jensenmann : what about the KS's C8?
Old 2nd February 2012
Kyle PL : thanks for your opinion! I might give them a try... But you know measurement and reviews tend to claim that almost ALL higher end reference monitors are flat, accurate, translate well, unflattering, etc... While we both know it's absolutely not true!

Coming from MM35, TB2S+, A7, 8050, Studio100, System 800, Solo6, older Dyn's PPM2, etc. (most of them I owned at least 6 months+), I can definitely say that they ALL have their own color. I have to admit I still haven't found 'my' personnal nearfield monitors...

I suspect today's manufacturers will agree to the 'flat' philosophy, but only until a certain point. They know most potential buyers will compare many sets back to back and in the end will pick whatever sounds 'better' (listening their CDs). Buyers will unconsciously avoid the sets that are too revealing / flat. Marketing is marketing......

I'm still thinking my old JBL4430 are the best studio monitors I've had the chance to work with : IF you get things to sounds good in these, then it's awsome EVERYWHERE else. But they are huge. I would like to find the same kind of reference (minus the bass range, I'm still realist) in a small nearfiled.
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidChampoux View Post
what about the KS's C8?
I listened C8's for an hour. Then connected the C55's... and stayed with them. C8 has more boomy low-end (partially corrected by packaged plug in port), but bass on C55 is more controlled and accurate. C55's is smoother, than C8 and I would not call them too bright. Opposite, C8's has "hump" on 8kHz and some scooped in "air" area, so they are more "colored", than C55 (for example hihats sounds like after some processing with exciter). Unfortunately I never heard C5's.
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

...I´ve heard the KH120 only once and thought the lowend is hyped and unnatural sounding....

So much for one time impressions. I own a pair of these and agree with the other owner comments. There is nothing hyped about their sound at all. For the selling price, nothing can touch them if you want accurate reproduction.
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann View Post
I´ve heard the KH120 only once and thought the lowend is hyped and unnatural sounding.
Totally disagree with this comment. I have been using them for months and have had the exact opposite experience.
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_HS View Post
I listened C8's for an hour. Then connected the C55's... and stayed with them. C8 has more boomy low-end (partially corrected by packaged plug in port), but bass on C55 is more controlled and accurate. C55's is smoother, than C8 and I would not call them too bright. Opposite, C8's has "hump" on 8kHz and some scooped in "air" area, so they are more "colored", than C55 (for example hihats sounds like after some processing with exciter).
+1
I´d choose the C55 or C5 over C8, too.
Old 3rd February 2012
Thanks for your reply so far! I'll forget about the C8. I've had a few other opinions on them in the past and all said that the C5 is a 'better' product.

Jensenmann : there's no dealer in Canada. I did contact them directly a few years ago and there were very cool. They would have sent a pair for me and if I don't like them, I could return for a full refund. Though I will have to assume both ways shipping ($300!!) and custom fees (another ~$200). So it's pricey for 'maybe' just a few minutes of test... But I'm SO tempted. I LOVE the format. Dual concentric, small, unhyped lows...
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I LOVE the format. Dual concentric, small, unhyped lows...
Maybe the Pelonis 4288's would be a more suitable consideration along w/ the KH 120's?
I haven't heard the KH 120's but the 4288's are making an very elegant and trustworthy impression on me personally. I really need more time to settle in with them and adjust gain structures etc.
That said, they're making a record I'm mixing much less toil and much more joy.
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for your reply so far! I'll forget about the C8. I've had a few other opinions on them in the past and all said that the C5 is a 'better' product.

Jensenmann : there's no dealer in Canada. I did contact them directly a few years ago and there were very cool. They would have sent a pair for me and if I don't like them, I could return for a full refund. Though I will have to assume both ways shipping ($300!!) and custom fees (another ~$200). So it's pricey for 'maybe' just a few minutes of test... But I'm SO tempted. I LOVE the format. Dual concentric, small, unhyped lows...
There´s some dealers in USA, maybe that´s a cheaper alternative.
Old 3rd February 2012
When I checked a few years ago (it was for the C8's) it was really cheaper to deal direct with them in Germany. That's what I would do except if there was a local dealer...
Old 5th February 2012
Damn... I hear the C8 in my head that rumbles "come and get me!!' with their extend 48 hz bass response......... I understand the 8KHz boost, but is it shelving (thus it could be compensated with the HF adjustment?), and where resides the low end boominess? 80hz? 90?

Last edited by DavidChampoux; 5th February 2012 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: typo...
Old 6th February 2012
Lives for gear

I have the Neumann KH120's at the moment and have been extremely impressed with them. I prefer them to anything else I've tried at the moment. They sound very natural, clear and give fantastic stereo imaging! They are my favorite monitors that I've tried so far ( inc. AE22's, Focal CMS65's, Dynaudio MB6a, KRK VST8, Mackie HR824, Adam A7 ).

I've got the SE Eggs coming tomorrow to try and am looking forward to hearing how those compare to the Neumanns!!
Old 6th February 2012
i would love to hear more opinions on how the munro eggs compare to the listed monitors in this thread. also keeping in mind that the eggs have effectively got a monitor controller built in
Old 29th February 2012
So how those EGGs compare?
Old 2nd May 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
So how those EGGs compare?
+1

Anyone do a shootout with the Eggs and KH120's?

I am going back and forth and trying to decide on one to purchase.

Right now I have been using old Monitor one's for years (and some mixcubes) so I guess either one is a significant upgrade.
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

I recently upgraded my monitors and narrowed my search down to these two models. I had the Eggs and KH120's here for a while. I really liked both though they had their different strengths and weaknesses.

The Egg's are a nicely balanced pair of monitors and have excellent time domain and there was practically no bass overhang. This was impressive for a ported speaker and was one of the best I've heard in this area.

The 120's had a little better stereo imaging and were a more revealing. I spent quite a long time listening to various familiar material and kept hearing things that I hadn't noticed before and still do! It was like I could hear more into the room where things were recorded and certain noises in the background were more obvious.

Ok after lots of A/Bing between these two I ended up keeping the 120's. These monitors really impressed me the most. They sound beautifully balanced and natural with superb clarity. They also have a surprising amount of bass response from such a small cabinet!

I've tried out tonnes of monitors here over the past year or so including :- SE Eggs, Focal CMS65's, Acoustic Energy AE22's, Neumann KH120's, Mackie HR824 mkI and mkII, KRK VXT8 and Adam A7. The Neumanns were the ones that stood out to me the most and I'm loving working with these. I'd love to hear these with their matching sub or the upcoming KH310's!
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Are the Neumanns good for acoustic stuff?What would be the best in that range?
I bought the Neumanns and it's a joy to work with them, money well spent.
Old 28th November 2012
Quote:
I'm still thinking my old JBL4430 are the best studio monitors I've had the chance to work with : IF you get things to sounds good in these, then it's awsome EVERYWHERE else. But they are huge. I would like to find the same kind of reference (minus the bass range, I'm still realist) in a small nearfiled.
Man.. I miss my JBL 4425 so much now. I definitely regret selling them.
Old 29th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty lester View Post
they sound great on anything
i throw at it.

marty.
A monitor is supposed to make everything sound great ? How shocking
Old 29th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans_beiger View Post
A monitor is supposed to make everything sound great ? How shocking
Exactly. It must open any problems of the mix in a really BIG definition.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search