The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So, who's heard the DAV BG-6 then? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 5th May 2006
Gear Addict

So, who's heard the DAV BG-6 then?

DAV Electronic's BG-6 dual compressor has been out for a few months now, but I have yet to read the first hit or miss review (although I would expect the former) on it. Has anyone on this forum used it? I can't wait to hear more about it!

Cheers,

Recky
Old 5th May 2006
Lives for gear

I havent heard it, but Mick can customize it for you..
Old 5th May 2006
Lives for gear

I haven't heard the BG-6, but I do own the BG-4. From what I understand the BG-6 is the same as the BG-4 except certain features have been removed. The BG-4 has adjustable high and low pass filters, and also a release time of 1 second in addition to release times of .3 and 3 seconds. I leave mine on 3 seconds most of the time and am not sure how much I'd ever use a one second release anyway.

The BG-4 also has separate controls for each channel and can be operated in dual mono or linked stereo. I would suspect that the two units sound the same or very similar, but can't personally attest to that since I haven't heard them side by side.

If the price of the BG-6 is comparable to the BG-1 preamp, then I would say that it is a great value for a mastering type comp/limiter. The BG-4 costs more ($1,700 US) for the filters and dual mono operation.

I find the tone quality of the BG-4 to be similar to the BG-1 preamp. There's a certain warmth without losing clarity. It may be a bit dark for some material, but overall the tone is pleasant in the same way as the BG-1. Compression/limiting up to about 4dB is very smooth and hardly noticable. Peaks above that can really "grab" though, so setting it up has to be done with some care. Controls on the BG-4 are stepped for easy repeatability, and I would suspect are the same on the BG-6.

In all honesty, I haven't used the BG-4 too much yet, and have been planning to write a more detailed post on it when I have more experience with it.
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Nut

IIIIIIIIIIIIIII will let you suckaz know what it sounds like when I receive it from Bo at Golden Age in Sweden it will be put after a BG-1 to keep it all in context.......speak to you soon suckazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. DAV rule
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Nut

So Yes, I said I would get back about the BG6, (though a little overdue).
The BG 6 is a very clean (not clinical, just not noisy) compressor, there are a few things to bear in mind that if going into a fixed A/D converter you may need to go back and forth between the gain ad the threshold knob, till you have both the right amount of compression, and the right amount of output to inout into your DAW. There are only two other knobs to be concerned with, Rec: (0.3 or 3 seconds, would like to have 1 second too, but they do not do it anymore since the BG4), and comp/limit. Its a very classy compressor, with good poke, and very evenly matched tone-wise IMO to the BG1 Mic Preamp. A great buy, well glad i got it. It reminds me of soviet technology, no bells and whistles, all the money has gone into making this good, and not making it look pretty instead.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search