The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgrading to high end gear (opinions and wiring help needed) Audio Interfaces
Old 28th January 2012
Gear Head

Upgrading to high end gear (opinions and wiring help needed)

Hi all,

I am upgrading all my gear and was looking for some opinions about how to route some of them and if anyone has better options than the gear I'll get from their experiences,I mainly make pop-dance music.

Upgrading:

-from prism Orpheus to Apogee symphony i/o for pcie low latency,more flexible connectivity and better compatibility with apple and logic.(am done with FireWire audio)
-from K n H o 300 to focal sm9 (will keep the o300) as near fields,great monitors but needed something more powerful,more low end but without getting a separate sub and more frequency range.(barefoots sm27 seemed too much for what I need and pricy too)
-getting the fat bustard, I am new to summing as I heard how dramatic it is vs mixing inside the box.i heard audio samples through vintage king for the fat bustard and many other summing amps and for me the fat bustard was an obvious winner.

My question is what's the best way to wire the fat bustard with the symphony I/o to my monitoring system to the monitors? Here is the full setup

-symphony I/o
-fat bustard
-presonus monitoring station(old one with remote)
-focal sm9 and K n H o300
-head phone amp
-great river and portico per Amp
-patch bay

Any opinions about the above gear or recommendations will be appreciated,also if anyone can advice how to hook all that gear together properly.

Thanks alot

Hassan
Old 29th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Hi Hassan,

Sounds like you're making a great upgrade! Have you had your patchbay connected previously? What type is it? DB25? E3? Solder type?

Here's how I'd connect everything:

Apogee Outs on top normalling into 1-12 inputs of Fat Bustard. 2 of the last 4 channels normalling into one of the stereo inputs of the central station. The "monitor out" of the fat bustard on top row normalling into another stereo input of your central station. All the outputs of your pres, and the stereo line out of the bustard normalling into Apogee inputs. If you need more specifics, PM or email me. Did you already purchase all this stuff?

Cheers,

Jared
Old 29th January 2012
Gear Head

Sounds like you (OP) have more money than knowledge and experience, or are a gifted and successful composer that is short on technical knowledge. The vultures seem to have already started to swarm with the last post. I used to work for one of those high end equipment dealers and they love people like you.

You need to make the people selling you the equipment answer these questions for you in order to earn and keep your business. That was my job were I worked. I laid out diagrams of whole studios on paper with clients like you and often went to set up everything for them. You can get some good advice on forums like this, but you really should pick a dealer and make them do this stuff for you or hire a consultant like me to do it for you. Either one will give you a hassle free result.

Getting answers on any forum is gonna be like telling people you have a hard time seeing and everybody having you try on their glasses. All you'll get is some near solutions and a big headache.
Old 29th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Audio-LA View Post
Hi Hassan,

Sounds like you're making a great upgrade! Have you had your patchbay connected previously? What type is it? DB25? E3? Solder type?

Here's how I'd connect everything:

Apogee Outs on top normalling into 1-12 inputs of Fat Bustard. 2 of the last 4 channels normalling into one of the stereo inputs of the central station. The "monitor out" of the fat bustard on top row normalling into another stereo input of your central station. All the outputs of your pres, and the stereo line out of the bustard normalling into Apogee inputs. If you need more specifics, PM or email me. Did you already purchase all this stuff?

Cheers,

Jared
Jared,

Thanks alot for your help, I just received my symphony I/o 8x8 and am still deciding about the fat bustard,I will certainly pm you to ask you in details.

Thank you again.
Old 29th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDAWstudio View Post
Sounds like you (OP) have more money than knowledge and experience, or are a gifted and successful composer that is short on technical knowledge. The vultures seem to have already started to swarm with the last post. I used to work for one of those high end equipment dealers and they love people like you.

You need to make the people selling you the equipment answer these questions for you in order to earn and keep your business. That was my job were I worked. I laid out diagrams of whole studios on paper with clients like you and often went to set up everything for them. You can get some good advice on forums like this, but you really should pick a dealer and make them do this stuff for you or hire a consultant like me to do it for you. Either one will give you a hassle free result.

Getting answers on any forum is gonna be like telling people you have a hard time seeing and everybody having you try on their glasses. All you'll get is some near solutions and a big headache.
People like me?vultures? I am not sure how will that help me connect my gear but surely the last post did. Thanks anyway.
Old 29th January 2012
Here for the gear

while theDAWstudio's response might have been on a bit of the rude or curt side, I do kind of agree. That's a LOT of money to spend to not have someone giving you all the help you need. I've always gone through sweetwater and/or vintage king. Our whole system was custom built with Sweetwater's help. I also think Prop-Audio-LA's response was good as well for what it's worth.
On a quick tangent, how do you like that great river versus the portico? sorry for the derail but I've been very interested in the two... good luck!
Old 29th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensleeves32 View Post
while theDAWstudio's response might have been on a bit of the rude or curt side, I do kind of agree. That's a LOT of money to spend to not have someone giving you all the help you need. I've always gone through sweetwater and/or vintage king. Our whole system was custom built with Sweetwater's help. I also think Prop-Audio-LA's response was good as well for what it's worth.
On a quick tangent, how do you like that great river versus the portico? sorry for the derail but I've been very interested in the two... good luck!
I have all this gear already connected,the whole new thing to my system is the summing amp which am new to,so I needed to know how does that work in terms of connectivity.

As for the pre-amps I like the portico better,it has a better character and more presence than the great river.great river is fine but we aren't looking for fine are we?

Later on I am looking forward to getting a pre amp with more character something like Chandler's Germanium .
Old 25th September 2017
Here for the gear
How to connect all my gear (please advise)

Hi folks,

I'm sort of a self-learner and new to use analog gear, though I have tested a few tricks with my gear, I believe I need some guidance and/or maybe some advise from some folks that have more experience.

I am into trance and deep house music production, I also do some DJing. I have recorded a few samples from my analog synths, and I have done a couple of trance tracks which I learned from Trance Music Mastery using Ableton Live.

My question is that, having all my digital and analog gear, is there a better way to connect all of it and make some awesome trance, the sorts of like Giuseppe Otavianni and his live performances. Though, what I need for the moment is to understand how to use my hardware gear better and if so how to connect it with Ableton Live and not just recording it into samples and reuse them in my ableton sets.

My gear I hope will be visible for you in my profile, so please any recommendations are well welcomed

My studio has the following gear:

Mac Mini 2012 16GB 1TB HDD iCore 7
2 x Samsung wide screens
Audio Interface
Scarlett 18i20 Focusrite
Scarlett 18i20
Komplete Audio 6 Native Instruments
Komplete Audio 6
Control Surfaces
Push 1 Ableton
Push 1
APC40 Akai Professional
APC40
DAW Software
Live 9 Suite Ableton
Live 9 Suite
Reason 9 Propellerhead
Reason 9
Drum Pad Controller
Maschine Mikro Native Instruments
Maschine Mikro
Maschine MK2 - Black Native Instruments
Maschine MK2 - Black
Keyboard Controller
Keystation 88 M-Audio
Keystation 88
Keyboard Synthesizers
MS-20 Mini Korg
MS-20 Mini
MiniNova Novation
MiniNova
X-Station 61 Novation
X-Station 61
Modular Synthesizers
SQ-1 Korg
SQ-1
Studio Monitors
PX5 FOSTEX
PX5 x 2
Virtual Instrument Plugins
Modular V3 Arturia
Modular V3
Sylenth1 Lennar Digital
Sylenth1
Komplete 9 Native Instruments
Komplete 9

Cheers,
Michael

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search