The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools HD Interface Trouble...help!
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Head

Pro Tools HD Interface Trouble...help!

Hey forum, I just connected my Pro Tools HD1 rig for the first time. I have everything properly setup, except this part is giving me problems. I am connecting the Universal Audio Solo 610 to the Digidesign 96. The digidesign 96 only registers a volume of 1 green bar maximum (of the 4 bars available to monitor input) when the UA 610 is at its loudest. What is the problem here?? (All wires are properly connected, I've checked many times).
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Nut

what's plugged into the 610? have you tried different mics on loud sources?
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Head

Yes, it seems that the UA Mic Pre starts clipping but nothing gets louder than 1 green bar on the digidesign 96. I tried connecting the UA pre to a firewire interface to make sure it was working properly, and it works great!! Just not sure what's going on here...
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Nut

I can't speak to the 96, but on my Omni there is a ton of headroom on the line inputs. Was tracking bass DI'd yesterday through BAE1073MP and was surprised that with bass volume full, gain and trim at about 3 oclock each on the pre (hot!), and it was just peaking at yellow in PT10 meters (which is fine - though I expected that it would be near clipping . . .). Sounds like you've already confirmed that the pre is hot enough, though maybe try some other sources into the 96 - and of course try various of the inputs on the 96.

How many dBFS is 'one green' on the 96? It may be fine - i.e., having significant headroom is not necessarily a problem - with high quality interfaces I find you don't need to be diming everything like you do with a cheaper/noisier I/O, and many will say that most ppl are running their DAW levels way too high . . .
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Head

Well lets just say this, when I hit the record button to see how much it's picking up, the line looks just about straight (looks like nothing recorded), yea there are minor bumps when I even have the mic up very very close and checking the mic at very loud level. I'll try maybe going into an 8 ch Onyx Interface, then taking the output of those and routing it to the inputs of the 96...I wonder if that will change anything...
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

send a sine [email protected] -20dbfs out of the 96 output to the inputs. Check the levels of the input and make sure its

1. A actual sine wave still

2. at -20dbfs
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear
Have you tried going into prefferences then operation to see what the operating levels are set to > I know with a 192i/o you can change certain operating levels. if this is even aplicable with a 96 i/o.
96i/o are fixxed at a specific number but you can set the output levels for ProTools HD still I belive maybe even inputs in your case.
The sine wave is what you NEED to do.
read the instructions on callibration mode follow them .
PLUG output 1 to input 1 and so on
use the sound generator plug under others in the list I think its a TDM only plug
Set it 1000
Find out what the fixed input out of the 96i/o
Set the output level of the signal generator to the 96i/o fixxed level.
Make sure you are actually at that level on your fader
Then out 1 in 1
If that doesnt work you could have a problem. (Fingers crossed)
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Head

Hey thanks for the awesome responses guys. I'll try that first thing tomorrow morning! As for tonight, I found a solution that works and that is using a standalone interface (mackie onyx 1200f) connected by db25 - TRS (breakout cable) to the 96. With the UA, I go line in into the mackie onyx (to bypass their preamps). Works great! The 96 responds much better. It works for now but I'd like to take the mackie onyx out of the chain eventually because I have a feeling it may be creating extra noise, even if it is very minor. Do you think an interface like this MUST be part of the chain too?? That's what I'm gathering.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search