The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
APA Juggernaut Twin vs a Manley TNT
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Nut

APA Juggernaut Twin vs a Manley TNT

Looking for a good all around Mic pre to add to my 1073's.
mostly for acoustic and electric guitar cab recordings.
Various types of music from classical to rock.
I was wondering if anyone had experience with either of these mic pre's
and as any input. Are they complicated to use?Just wondering if to many options is a good or bad thing. I don't want to buy alot of mic pre's as I only have a home studio,
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

Both are great units; the tube pre on the TNT is the best sounding tube pre I have ever heard. Clear, extended top end, and smooth. Not as colored as the standard Manley pre. The TNT has a solid state pre as well that offers a lot of different sounds. If your looking for matching pair, the Juggernault may be a better option. The Juggernault also has a couple of different sounds as well making it flexible. If you want that huge sound, the Juggernault again.
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Never used the manley TNT but heard good thing about it.. (I'm NOT a fan of the Voxbox btw..but that's a personal thing I guess).

The Juggernaut it's very well built, there's a lot of quality for what you pay..

As you said more features has also the "drawback" of too much things to adjust or control..
Anyway I usually set the Juggernaut Twin with nickel-nickel, and set the impedence around 1200 ohm.. I just try the fat knob, if it's better I keep it that way, if not I push it again to disable it.. it's a great unit btw. and if it's your thing you could tweak it to be cleanish or very dirty..

It's a good preamp.. I like it on acoustic gtr's with nickel-nickel..
I prefer the sound of the nickel xformers in general on this unit..it's very full sounding.

kudos to Nathan and Tim for doing this product!

Just my 0.02$,

Bests,

Cheu
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acupunk View Post
Looking for a good all around Mic pre to add to my 1073's.
mostly for acoustic and electric guitar cab recordings.
Various types of music from classical to rock.
I was wondering if anyone had experience with either of these mic pre's
and as any input. Are they complicated to use?Just wondering if to many options is a good or bad thing. I don't want to buy alot of mic pre's as I only have a home studio,
i love my jugg! i also love my GML 8302 mic pres. is GML an option for you? you can get them for around $1700 used and they simply kill. i love them on acoustics and vocals and even snare top. i usually like the jugg with nickel in and out with the input impedance all the way up. i've never used the TNT.
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Manley TNT is amazing, get 2 if you need matched stereo, haven't tried the Jugg.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search