The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ribbon cable with DB25 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Nut

Ribbon cable with DB25

Hey all,

About to start a massive re-cable for my studio and have been suggested to use ribbon looms with DB25 ends (8ch per loom with the ribbon rolled into a circle and then covered /shielded and with 3M custom DB25 connector) The only thing is each ch in the ribbon is not isolated like in a standard audio cable loom, and as I've never used these types of cables before I'm wondering if crosstalk might be an issue?

The cool thing about using this type of cable is you can terminate 8 ch in one go, saving a heap of time = money...

Thoughts?
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bartlem View Post
Hey all,

About to start a massive re-cable for my studio and have been suggested to use ribbon looms with DB25 ends (8ch per loom with the ribbon rolled into a circle and then covered /shielded and with 3M custom DB25 connector) The only thing is each ch in the ribbon is not isolated like in a standard audio cable loom, and as I've never used these types of cables before I'm wondering if crosstalk might be an issue?

The cool thing about using this type of cable is you can terminate 8 ch in one go, saving a heap of time = money...

Thoughts?
all digital signals? Is ribbon cable rated for that bandwidth, and why not use Cat5?
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

Hi
It can be used as long as you bear a few things in mind.
Signals should be balanced.
Signals all basically similar level, LINE level.
Keep runs as short as practicable, don't have an extra 5 feet for 'fun'.
Using ribbon is very convenient for example if you have 1 'source' and 2 or 3 'destinations' (inputs).
Yes I have tried doing this and the crosstalk for balanced signals sent at low impedance is pretty low.
The screening is only necessary if you have runs more than a couple of metres and it is near mains wiring.
You can get 'twisted and flat' ribbon cabling but it is not laid out suitable for a 'Tascam' 25D layout so do NOT use it.
I know it is moving away from the convenience of IDC connectors but 2 pieces of cat5 is quite practical but again ALL signals need to be balanced and Line level.
At Calrec we used PSF 'multicore' cable which was essentially cat 5 but with more pairs available. It was 'supplied' by the BBC who used miles of it in their studio installations.
AMEK and several other manufacturers use (d) ribbon inside consoles. AMEK actually used a version with a woven screen around it.
Matt S
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search