The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vocal eq recommendations.
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Vocal eq recommendations.

I'll be looking for an eq that is well suited to vocals. I like API 550b's quite a bit but wonder if the 550a might be better. I would prefer a 500 series eq but am not opposed to other choices. I have some good choices already. My D&R console eq, API 550b and Tonelux are my top choices thus far.

What are you guys diggin' lately.
Old 23rd January 2012
Gear Addict

I fell in love with the Manley VoxBox over the last few weeks, though it's a tad pricy (wish I owned this one!).
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah I love manley stuff. Looks like a great unit.
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Electrodyne 511's are nice. They don't offer near the control that the 550-Bs do, but they are colored in a nice way and always seem to have EQ points that are in the sweet spot for whatever I use it on.
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWallStudio View Post
Electrodyne 511's are nice. They don't offer near the control that the 550-Bs do, but they are colored in a nice way and always seem to have EQ points that are in the sweet spot for whatever I use it on.
Cool. I really like colored gear and have heard that these 511's rock. Seeing as how I will also have a channel strip eq I don't need a ton of control in the main eq. It is the colored tone I am looking for.
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear
The Massive passive is the best vocal eq I have ever used.
It has this smooth sheen at all the frequencys so it is easy to avoid sibilance.
Audio honey!
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Agreed! The MP is an awesome eq.

Who's loving the neve 500 series eq for vocals?
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

I tried the Cartec FE-Q5, made my mic sound a bit more expensive.
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear
I have both the Massive Passive and the VoxBox. The Massive Passive's EQ is far more versatile than the EQ on the VoxBox for vocals. While the VoxBox's EQ is good, it just doesn't go far enough to make it an all round excellent vocal EQ. I often have to pair it up with another equalizer to sculpture the sound (particularly when remixing vocals recorded in home studios). The Massive has a lovely sheen to it. It is a tube EQ, which may not suit everyone's needs or every vocal situation. For a solid state EQ, I like an AMEK CIB on vocals. It is incredibly versatile and has good transformers. There is great tube EQ and great solid state EQ out there for vocals. Consider getting one of each. That way you'll be covered.
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

I found Neve 8803 EQ working great with vocals and many other sources as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search