The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
channel preamp for summing and adding colour - harmonics Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

channel preamp for summing and adding colour - harmonics

hi guys i want to inject some colour into my summing solution which is pretty sterile at the moment.

i was thinking about getting 16 channels of preamps and feeding their outputs into the summing mixer. i also want to use as preamps for front end recording during tracking.

is there anything out there that will add even and odd harmonics to the incoming sound when driven that i could use for this purpose....

also is there anything wrong with running preamps before a passive summing mixer?

i know that a lot of people on the site like to use a stereo pre after the mixer. i already have that but i would like to try to add some harmonics into the individual channels and let them mix.
Old 23rd January 2012
MPZ
Gear Maniac

this topic is almost always being discussed here in some form- a few searches are recommended, but either way, I'll give a few suggestions.

There are 2 preamps that come to mind as specifically designed for this sort of thing.

One is the Atlas Pro audio Juggernaut- it has continuously variable input impedance, switchable transformers, and a "+THD" switch, all intended to give maximum sound-sculpting capability.

Another is the Dave Hill Designs Europa- it has controls that add even and odd harmonics, as well as a "speed" setting that affects slew rate. This might be just what you're looking for

There are of course other options, but I need to go back to what I was doing- i'll check back here later
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPZ View Post
this topic is almost always being discussed here in some form- a few searches are recommended, but either way, I'll give a few suggestions.

There are 2 preamps that come to mind as specifically designed for this sort of thing.

One is the Atlas Pro audio Juggernaut- it has continuously variable input impedance, switchable transformers, and a "+THD" switch, all intended to give maximum sound-sculpting capability.

Another is the Dave Hill Designs Europa- it has controls that add even and odd harmonics, as well as a "speed" setting that affects slew rate. This might be just what you're looking for

There are of course other options, but I need to go back to what I was doing- i'll check back here later
these i am aware of. i was thinking something that gave me 16 channels if it though...
Old 23rd January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbianco View Post
hi guys i want to inject some colour into my summing solution which is pretty sterile at the moment.

i was thinking about getting 16 channels of preamps and feeding their outputs into the summing mixer. i also want to use as preamps for front end recording during tracking.

is there anything out there that will add even and odd harmonics to the incoming sound when driven that i could use for this purpose....

also is there anything wrong with running preamps before a passive summing mixer?

i know that a lot of people on the site like to use a stereo pre after the mixer. i already have that but i would like to try to add some harmonics into the individual channels and let them mix.
Well, you NEED a pre after the passive mixer for make up gain - thats kind of unavoidable.

Pres beforehand? Could sound good, might not. You'll have some level issues to deal with - you'll have to pad down either the input, output or both, to make sure you're not overloading pres.

By the time you've done all that, why not just do things properly, and buy an active summing amp with transformers on inputs and outputs?!
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Hi
In the old days there were issues of 'gain staging' to get the best performance from any given set of gear to maximise frequency response and minimise distortion, crosstalk and noise.
With a well designed set of gear and good installation this was relatively easy to achieve.
Now you have the wondrous 'digital recording and mixing' systems that can achieve far lower distortion and no noise build up from EQ functions and practically unlimited headroom (inside the box) so now you want to mess it up with a hotch potch of effects and preamps.
Some people are never satisfied!! Don't you have a £$%$% it up plugin?
Matt S
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search