The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rosetta 800/New Macbook Pro Digital Converters
Old 22nd January 2012
Here for the gear

Rosetta 800/New Macbook Pro

I am not completely new to recording, but completely rusty as it has been years since I helped a friends band track songs. Back then we were using a Metric Halo interface and Mac G5 with Logic. My question is this. I have a Rosetta 800 and I am about to purchase a new Macbook Pro and Logic. Is my only option to connect these finding an X firewire card for the Rosetta? I have good mics, good pres, a Big Ben clock, and good equipment in general. I just need to know the best way to connect my interface to a new Mac? This is my first post, and I apologize if I have overlooked the answer in similar threads I viewed. Please advise me if my post should have been directed to a different forum also. Thanks in advance for all your help!
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Addict

Wait till Apogee drops the just announced thunderbolt box and get a Xsymphony card for the rosetta. If you need it immediately, then get a xfirewire.
Old 22nd January 2012
Here for the gear

Right on man. Thank you so much for that post. I hadn't seen that press release from Namm, and that is really good news for anyone with pre-Symphony system converters. Much appreciated!!!
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Addict

No Prob. It got me excited since it resurrected my 800 at least in theory
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

I wonder what the price on that box is going to be ....
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

I thought I might have heard that Apple was redesigning all their computers in 2012 maybe you should wait to see what apple does before you purchase a laptop?

I could be wrong though...
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Why not just get a Symphony mobile express card?

I use a Rosetta with Macbook Pro and the express card and it's a good recording rig. I use Logic too.

You'd need the XSymphony option card on the Rosetta.

You'd have to find the card used I think, as Apogee discontinued production of them.

And you'd have to make sure about Mac OS support for the card if you're laptop has Lion.
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Addict

New macbook pros do not have pci express slots
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldencd View Post
New macbook pros do not have pci express slots
I believe the 17" Macbook pro still does, but it doesn't look like the Express card is Lion supported.

Looks like the express card won't be a viable option unless you get an old laptop to go with it.

My old laptop works fine with the Rosetta and express card, but that doesn't help the OP.
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzschreiner View Post
I believe the 17" Macbook pro still does, but it doesn't look like the Express card is Lion supported.

Looks like the express card won't be a viable option unless you get an old laptop to go with it.

My old laptop works fine with the Rosetta and express card, but that doesn't help the OP.
Yeah, I guess i forgot about the 17 incher. i personally want to see how this next year shoes out with Mac and Thunderbolt options from Avid, Apogee etc.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search