The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
$2k mic preamp / compressor w extreme range? 500 Series Preamps
Old 21st January 2012
Gear Head

$2k mic preamp / compressor w extreme range?

interested in purchasing a high-quality preamp/compressor/channel strip. mono or stereo will do.

i am interested in the widest possible range of sounds / extremes. heavy compression, gain, etc. subtlety not important. however, most of the time will be used in a general purpose manner, mostly for drum OH and lead vocals. will be pairing with AKG C414 and Shure SM7b.

was looking at Neve and API but i know this is only the tip of the iceberg.
for someone who likes to play with color and experiment with sounds, what kind of unit would you recommend?
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicproblem View Post
interested in purchasing a high-quality preamp/compressor/channel strip. mono or stereo will do.

i am interested in the widest possible range of sounds / extremes. heavy compression, gain, etc. subtlety not important. however, most of the time will be used in a general purpose manner, mostly for drum OH and lead vocals. will be pairing with AKG C414 and Shure SM7b.

for someone who likes to play with color and experiment with sounds, what kind of unit would you recommend?

I'd very definitely say:

This, at the top of the scale
http://www.finkanalogaudio.com/image...os/cs2fa-1.jpg

Or moving slightly lower down this x2
Retro Instruments | Powerstrip Recording Channel

or this x2
ProPack

or this x2
GTQC | Aurora Audio

or (since U mention character & options over subtlety) this
P10 The Mighty Twin Dual full featured recording channel
(variable phase circuit too, and 4 compressor modes/analogue emulations)

Also see what they bring to the table in terms of price... some may positively surprise U.

Happy shopping,

A
F
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

I might sound as a broken record (but I think there's a lot of threads that cover this subject..)

Btw.. Avedis MA5 in the 500 series realm, with the option of choosing the compressor or eq you like more... (Retro Doublewide?) heh

Or check out the BAE stuff..really great sounding..

Cheu
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicproblem View Post

Empirical Labs Mike-E Channel Strip

everything you need...
C
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmenC View Post
Empirical Labs Mike-E Channel Strip

everything you need...
C
about to say the same thing. .....and you'll have some change left over for something else useful.
Old 23rd January 2012
Gear Maniac

Check the tube channel strip Preq-1 from QES Labs.
A warm and round mic preamp, paired with a very musical pultec style EQ.
I love my pair.
Highly recommended.
Old 23rd January 2012
Here for the gear

Has anyone tried the Rupert Neve Designs Portico Channel strip? Fairly expensive, around $3K but gets rave reviews, has mic, instrument, and line ins, plus EQ and compression, plus Neve's custom transformers ( in & out).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search