The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitors for rock music..RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE
Old 20th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Monitors for rock music..RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE

Hey guys...

Have a home studio but like high end. Have Adam 2.5s and (yes I'm a beginner) they sound very flat....very with rock guitar (think Townshend to EVH). It's hard to get into the music.

Please share your thoughts....is it me...the monitors?

Recommendations on good monitors for rock. Thanks
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

get a consumer stereo you like and figure how to hook it into your setup. "motivate" yourself on the stereo.

i'm not saying adam 2.5 are any good (they very well may be crap). but that's not even the topic of your post.

ns10 ruled for decades, its quite a dull speaker. the list goes on and on. The exception was the 1031, which i've found impossible to mix mids.

flattering sounding speakers more times than not churn out mixes that translate horribly.
Old 20th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Take a look at the Barefoot MM35's. If your home studio is short on space, near field monitors are your best bet, and they don't get much better than the MM35's. I've been using mine for almost three years and I couldn't be happier. Of course, if your room isn't treated, it's not going to make much of a difference no matter what you use.
Old 21st January 2012
Gear Maniac

just trying to be clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by latestflavor View Post
get a consumer stereo you like and figure how to hook it into your setup. "motivate" yourself on the stereo.

i'm not saying adam 2.5 are any good (they very well may be crap). but that's not even the topic of your post.

ns10 ruled for decades, its quite a dull speaker. the list goes on and on. The exception was the 1031, which i've found impossible to mix mids.

flattering sounding speakers more times than not churn out mixes that translate horribly.
Are you saying play w/ the stereo to cut my teeth then move to professional monitors?
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradarama View Post
Are you saying play w/ the stereo to cut my teeth then move to professional monitors?
No, he's saying that monitors aren't there to "get you in the mood", they're there for mixing purposes, and that if you want a more lively colored sound, get a little computer speaker setup to play through.

As to the rest of your questions - without more info we can't really tell you what the problem is. How does other audio material sound through your monitors? What's your recording chain?
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

What i was saying is that i can't think of a great monitor that sounded flattering. Even the barefoot MM27 has a flat sound to it - because its supposed to!

Perhaps some of the big mains in some studios that have a hyped house curve to impress the customers. Not really for mixing though.

If you want something hyped, go for it but you probably won't get great translation.
Old 21st January 2012
Gear Nut
For me, "monitors for rock" is the same as "monitors." I've used and liked the following over the years: NS10 (original tweeter, vertical version), Mackie Hr824 (original, made in USA version), and Currently Focal CMS50 and CMS40s with or without CMS sub.

Monitor placement is critical, though - not to be underestimated.
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

GENELEC 1031a = rock :-)
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey guys...

Have a home studio but like high end. Have Adam 2.5s and (yes I'm a beginner) they sound very flat....very with rock guitar (think Townshend to EVH). It's hard to get into the music.

Please share your thoughts....is it me...the monitors?

Recommendations on good monitors for rock. Thanks
How do your favorite records sound through them ? If they sound ok it is you.

Chris
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Lambrechts View Post
How do your favorite records sound through them ? If they sound ok it is you.

Chris
This.

You have a great set of monitors which are very flat, now it's up to you to get use to them.
Old 21st January 2012
S2.5 sound far from flat (I like them a lot tough)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Gearslutz.com
Old 23rd January 2012
Gear Maniac

The 2.5s sound very middy and muffled w/ high end sizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post

Am I way off here?
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Am I way off here?
actually they have quite a hf boost compared to other small studio monitors. i have the s3a's and they are similar. however, you have to mix into them as though they sound flat in order to avoid a sizzly mix.

compared to any consumer speaker though, still not going to "impress".

here's graphs from "recording studio design" by newell 2nd ed, from his Appendix 2 comparison measurements of 38 different monitors

(it helps to compare to the other 37, but i'm not going to refrain from posting all for copyright purposes):
Attached Thumbnails
Monitors for rock music..RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE-s2a-newell.jpg  
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Hey. It's a valid request to "turn on" to the sound of your monitors. I know exactly what you're talking about.

Even though, as been mentioned, the room is your closest friend.
I searched for years to find something that dance with me, something that screams / pushes / pulls / hurts..

I've used NS-10s since early 90s and I really love them. I need to have them close. The thump and the clear mids is just right and what I go for in rock.
Somehow, as time went by, I started doing soft mixes. I hated that. So I begun the quest for a smoother monitoring to push my mixes to be more raw and aggressive.

I found ProAc's and Bryston. Worked very well for me. I use 50 / 50 ProAcs / NS-10 switching back and forth. Actually, for leaning back, enjoying something I've just accomplished I still play thru the Yamaha's.

Flatness is just one dimension of it all. There's a bunch of weird **** going on when sitting in front of speakers. I have 3 main criterias.

Bass thump / punch - to me, the timings and resonance is most important. Tight but not too tight.

Clarity - sometimes means stereo image, sometimes depth, sometimes transient shaping.

Mid resolution - for guitars it's hard to nail the perfect mids. I hear it as resolution. When I switch between speakers the mids always change, some speakers plays the greatest creamy guitar sounds while others reveals tin can flavor - from the same source. Most of it because of the crossover always turns up there in the middle of the guitars but there's other, more subtle stuff as well.

So. There are ways of mixing with flat sound and limp d***cks. It just won't get you there...

Good luck - trust your HEART!
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

I have ADAM S3-As and know exactly what you're talking about. So I also have JBL LSR 28s which absolutely rock. They deliver that feel you're looking for in spades. JBL makes newer versions which are probably just as cool, but maybe you can find the originals used.

-R
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:

absolutely yes. i went for quested s7r. too bad the bass gets only to 65hz when they're by theirselves.

Op here's the website if you want to check them out Monitoring systems - studio speakers. Welcome to the world of QUESTED
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Head

I love Quested, but reverb tails never seam to sit right on them
Old 24th January 2012
that would be a "like" on facebook and +10 on google+

cheers & thank you for expressing what I could not.

btw: proac 100?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle G View Post
Hey. It's a valid request to "turn on" to the sound of your monitors. I know exactly what you're talking about.

Even though, as been mentioned, the room is your closest friend.
I searched for years to find something that dance with me, something that screams / pushes / pulls / hurts..

I've used NS-10s since early 90s and I really love them. I need to have them close. The thump and the clear mids is just right and what I go for in rock.
Somehow, as time went by, I started doing soft mixes. I hated that. So I begun the quest for a smoother monitoring to push my mixes to be more raw and aggressive.

I found ProAc's and Bryston. Worked very well for me. I use 50 / 50 ProAcs / NS-10 switching back and forth. Actually, for leaning back, enjoying something I've just accomplished I still play thru the Yamaha's.

Flatness is just one dimension of it all. There's a bunch of weird **** going on when sitting in front of speakers. I have 3 main criterias.

Bass thump / punch - to me, the timings and resonance is most important. Tight but not too tight.

Clarity - sometimes means stereo image, sometimes depth, sometimes transient shaping.

Mid resolution - for guitars it's hard to nail the perfect mids. I hear it as resolution. When I switch between speakers the mids always change, some speakers plays the greatest creamy guitar sounds while others reveals tin can flavor - from the same source. Most of it because of the crossover always turns up there in the middle of the guitars but there's other, more subtle stuff as well.

So. There are ways of mixing with flat sound and limp d***cks. It just won't get you there...

Good luck - trust your HEART!
Old 24th January 2012
member no 666

Quote:
Have Adam 2.5s and they sound very flat
I found them to sound very "scalloped" in the mid-range... like for the minute and a half I was thinking about building a "home theater" in the house I used to live in the 2.5's were very high up there in the consideration process... in other words I thought they were an excellent "reproduction" speaker but kinda [spelled v-e-r-y m-u-c-h] not my cup of tea for production work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latestflavor View Post
ns10 ruled for decades, its quite a dull speaker.
Wow - I've heard them called a lot of things in my time... "dull" was never one of them. I found them to be injuriously bright... obviously your mileage varied!!

------ FWIW, I've been quite pleased and enamored with the Unity Audio "[url=http://unityaudioproducts.co.uk/the-rock.php]Rock" monitors... they sound very clear and natural to me... the Tim De Paravicini [EAR - Esoteric Audio Research] amplifiers are just incredibly revealing... overall an excellent work experience for the way I like to work... but as always... YMMV.

Peace
Old 24th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
------ FWIW, I've been quite pleased and enamored with the Unity Audio "The Rock" monitors... they sound very clear and natural to me... the Tim De Paravicini [EAR - Esoteric Audio Research] amplifiers are just incredibly revealing... overall an excellent work experience for the way I like to work... but as always... YMMV.
Ditto! Been loving them on rock mixes as well as jazz and electronic stuff.
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
that would be a "like" on facebook and +10 on google+

cheers & thank you for expressing what I could not.

btw: proac 100?
Yes, Studio 100.

/P
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Im using KRK rokit 6's

Sound good enough.
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Wow - I've heard them called a lot of things in my time... "dull" was never one of them. I found them to be injuriously bright... obviously your mileage varied!!
dull as in boring

dull /d?l/
Adjective:
Lacking interest or excitement.
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by captshiznit View Post
Im using KRK rokit 6's

Sound good enough.
Really?I have them and I can't trust their high end.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search