The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
peluso 2247LE or gefell umt 70s?
Old 20th January 2012
Gear Nut

peluso 2247LE or gefell umt 70s?

hi guys i know they are very different mics but i got a deal for one of those and i'm getting excited about the gefell
i need a mic for vocal,acoustic guitar,room,OH and percussion
witch one of those two will do the better job?
thank you for your help
Old 20th January 2012
Gear Addict

They're different, both stellar!!

But if I could only have one it'd be the Peluso. Always airy, never harsh, it sounds like art.
Old 20th January 2012
Gear Nut

thank you,i don't know that much about this peluso,but i love the gefell umt70s
it will be a hard choice
damn economy
Old 20th January 2012
Gear Maniac

I have 2 of the 2247LE's and I really like them. I've used them on a bunch of sources and usually end up happy with the results

I'm thankful as I got great used deals on them so I wasn't forking up $2070 a piece on them.

I'm sure they Gefell sounds great although I haven't had the chance to use it in person.
Old 21st January 2012
Gear Nut

i found one at 1000$ in new conditions,i guess i should just buy it
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

i have used both a bunch and to me, the Gefell is a much better mic.

smoother top and and more balanced sounding.

the Peluso has a slightly harsh top end sound that always bugged me.
sometimes it is really good, but the Gefell is much more versatile in my opinion.

the older UM 70s sounds a bit better than the new UMT 70s by the way.
Old 21st January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by potslutz View Post
hi guys i know they are very different mics but i got a deal for one of those and i'm getting excited about the gefell
i need a mic for vocal,acoustic guitar,room,OH and percussion
witch one of those two will do the better job?
thank you for your help

I might be getting rid of my Peluso 2247LE. It's in perfect shape. PM me if interested.
Old 21st January 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post

the Peluso has a slightly harsh top end sound to me that always bugged.
sometimes it is really good, but the Gefell is much more versatile in my opinion.

I agree even though I love my 2247 LE it can be overtly sibilant at times in certain sources. Sometimes rotating it slightly off axis tames that (and or a little de-essing obv)

Solid microphone for the cost though
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Maniac

+1 for the 2247LE, great microphone to have in the studio, really excels on a number of sources with not much trouble!
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Addict

Both of those mics are great but different. To be honest, I think (maybe) you'll find more uses for the Peluso than the Gefell.

That being said, I don't consider either of those mics to be in the "versitile" camp.
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassDan View Post
Both of those mics are great but different. To be honest, I think (maybe) you'll find more uses for the Peluso than the Gefell.

That being said, I don't consider either of those mics to be in the "versitile" camp.
REALLY?

i have had great results with a Gefell UM 70 on vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, piano, OH’s, toms, room mics, cello, percussion, clarinet.........

it always seemed like the kind of mic i can just move around the room on any source and it will work quite well.

different strokes i guess.........
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post

the Peluso has a slightly harsh top end sound that always bugged me.

I agree. Im thinking about selling my peluso. For me it only works sometimes. Very easy to sound harsh, cold, sizzled, scooped and sibilant. Gefell has much better balance.
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassDan View Post

Wow. Are you sure you have used the Gefell??
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Addict

Maybe the Gefell I used was messed up. It belongs to my buddy who has had it a long time. Everything I've tried it on there was always something that worked better.
Old 22nd January 2012
Gefell UMT70s and UM70s are extremely versatile microphones, so perhaps your buddies has a funked up capsule, or something. It happens....
Old 22nd January 2012
NLC
Gear Head

The UM 70 is an excellent mic. Sounds great on many different sound sources. Warm and clear. Usually my pick for male deep male vocals. I also love it on acoustic guitar, room mic, front bass drum and vibes.
Old 22nd January 2012
Keep in mind that UM70 is flavour of month here on GS, I`m sure it`s great but it can`t handle high SPL which was clear in few shootouts, and even Steve Albini claims this on his description of UM70 : Electrical Audio - Equipment -
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Haven't used the Peluso but I have a Lawson L47MP, which is in the same camp, as well as a pair of UMT70s's. The Gefells are by far the most versatile mics I've ever used. They sound great on many things, and good on everything. They're not bland, either, as the M7 capsule imparts an unmistakable imprint. Large diaphragm tubes obviously shine above all others in many situations, but if it's a quality, versatile mic you're looking for, you can't go wrong with the Gefell.
Old 23rd January 2012
Gear Nut

thank you all for the advices,i'm ending up buying an mv692/um70
my next one will be a tube room mic to combine with the gefell,i'll use it on hand percussion,acoustic guitar and vocals
thank you
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Chao_Chao View Post
I agree. Im thinking about selling my peluso. For me it only works sometimes. Very easy to sound harsh, cold, sizzled, scooped and sibilant. Gefell has much better balance.
A 2247SE has sounded large and sweet on lots, not all, but lots of good vocalists, IME. Those adjectives are a little hinky, according to me.

The Gefell is also a nice mic and probably the better choice as an all arounder. I don't find the 2247 to be the best choice on acoustic guitar.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search