The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Favorite RCA ribbon microphone recording techniques Single-Channel Preamps
Old 20th January 2012
Favorite RCA ribbon microphone recording techniques

I used my early 40s RCA 44d tonight, recording a female vocal on a western-swing/jazzy number. Condensors weren't cutting it, or were actually cutting too much. Instrumentation on the backing track was trap kit with brushes, Round bass sound, 3 tracks of Gretsch 6120 on neck position (very Hank Garland actually) and to be added... piano and C6 steel.

So I knew I needed a mellow but still present vocal. Anyhow, here's what worked.

RCA44, singer singing "over" the microphone whilst looking up. SE reflexion filter behind the cold side of the microphone. Ran into first into a 1073 & CL1b. too much wool. Then into a 1073 1176 and LA2a, still too much wool and too grabby.

Ended up RCA44 -> Avalon 737sp, high gain on 0 (12 o'clock) comp level at noon, threshold @ noon, fast attack and medium release, then EQ with just a tweak of high mid added.

The result was pure silk with plenty of intelligibility.

Anyone else care to share?
Old 20th January 2012
Nobody?
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

you need to try an AEA RPQ preamp with that 44. what a difference..... silk and high end for days.
Old 22nd January 2012
member no 666

Unless you're a huge fan of comb filtering... lose the "reflection filter". The rest should work well... personally I like the pre on the 737 a lot no matter how much of a "bad rap" its gets on this board... excellent pre!! nice and clear with just the right about of "size" for a lot of things.

Peace
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Unless you're a huge fan of comb filtering... lose the "reflection filter".
FINALLY! Someone else who hears how awful these things are.
Old 23rd January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Unless you're a huge fan of comb filtering... lose the "reflection filter".
Thanks for the tip. It wasn't "directly" behind it, it was about at least 16-18" back and just gave the cool side a little damping. I heard no unwanted room reflections and definitely no comb filtering. I will review the tracks again and sincerely hope I didn't miss anything.

Thanks guys! Please share more experiences.
Old 23rd January 2012
member no 666

Ward - if you want to cut down on reflections from the room a blanket hung over a mic stand will generally work a whole lot better. I'd recommend you listen to the sound with and without the sE thing -- my experience with those things has been quite negative... YMMV... mine hasn't.
Old 23rd January 2012
Well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
Thanks for the tip. It wasn't "directly" behind it, it was about at least 16-18" back and just gave the cool side a little damping. I heard no unwanted room reflections and definitely no comb filtering. I will review the tracks again and sincerely hope I didn't miss anything.

Thanks guys! Please share more experiences.
Call me old fashioned! Apart from the brilliant AEA pre, I think that an RCA OP-6 in good order would be very very high on my list of pre amps for an RCA 44.
i think that if possible the half of the figure of eight that she is singing into should be left with as little reflective obstructions as possible.
Never tried an SE reflection filter so I cant comment.
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

The RCA44 is a great mic on a lot of instruments from percussion to strings. It really shines on trombone, excellent on double bass, beautiful on vocals (and is also very useful on screaming vocals). I practically always use op6's for our RCA44's, with some Pultec high end correction when needed > major mic mojo.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search