The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ELA M260 + BLUE caps? Condenser Microphones
Old 19th January 2012
Gear Head

ELA M260 + BLUE caps?

I see that the current Telefunken ELA M260 mics come with an adapter that allows them to use Blue Bottle Caps and other "Neumann Bayonet style capsules."

I've seen nice reviews on the 260 on it's own merits. I can't find anyone with direct experience using Blue caps with it. I'm just wondering if for the price of the mic + a B7 cap if you might have a decent (not quite wealthy man's) U47 clone.
Old 19th January 2012
Gear Addict

Im not sure, I didn't realize that the Blue caps would fit on the Telefunken mics.....
Old 19th January 2012
Gear Head

From the Mercenary.com website description:
"It comes complete with a set of three interchangeable capsules (cardioid, hyper-cardioid and omni) as well as an adaptor to allow the use of most AKG CK series capsules along with other capsules made by B.L.U.E. and JZ / Violet."

Roc Mixwell? Fletcher? Anyone? Bueller?
Old 19th January 2012
member no 666

Lookin' for the ex-Merc's are ya? Well... I'm one, so what the hell.

The capsules will indeed fit... from what I've heard of JZ mics... I doubt I'd waste my time even thinking about trying to put any of their stuff on an ELA M 260... as for B.L.U.E. stuff - maybe, I dunno... never tried it.

In terms of it being a poor man's U-47 clone... not a prayer in hell. The ELA M 260 uses an EF-732 tube and an entirely different transformer so even if you put a Thiersch M-7 on the ELA M 260 amplifier it still wouldn't come close to being a U-47. On the other hand it could be a hell of a cool microphone as that amplifier is really quite lovely sounding... and frankly the capsules that come with the ELA M 260 are pretty damn useable [cardioid, omni, hyper-cardioid].

At any rate, the B.L.U.E. capsules will fit... vintage Neumann capsules will fit [like you'd find on a CMV-3 or CMV-563 [etc.]... whether or not they tickle your fancy would be a personal aesthetic kind of thing I really can't comment upon.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Peace
Old 20th January 2012
Gear Head

Thank you for the insightful reply Fletcher. You and Roc seem to have made the most insightful comments on this mic that I have found while searching the forum, so I was hoping to hear your views...

My curiosity is piqued now... I might try it.
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Addict

thanks Fletcher, that's interesting as I was unaware of the availability to fit those caps on the ELAM.... and that stereo pair of the M260s is calling my name! I love small diaphragm condensers, and it would be interesting to see what a large diaphragm on the 260 would sound like.
Old 28th January 2012
Gear Addict

This is cool to know about the BLUE caps fitting. I just picked up a pair of Tele ELA M260s, the field set. I do alot of taping, etc.
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Lookin' for the ex-Merc's are ya? Well... I'm one, so what the hell.

The capsules will indeed fit... from what I've heard of JZ mics... I doubt I'd waste my time even thinking about trying to put any of their stuff on an ELA M 260... as for B.L.U.E. stuff - maybe, I dunno... never tried it.

In terms of it being a poor man's U-47 clone... not a prayer in hell. The ELA M 260 uses an EF-732 tube and an entirely different transformer so even if you put a Thiersch M-7 on the ELA M 260 amplifier it still wouldn't come close to being a U-47. On the other hand it could be a hell of a cool microphone as that amplifier is really quite lovely sounding... and frankly the capsules that come with the ELA M 260 are pretty damn useable [cardioid, omni, hyper-cardioid].

At any rate, the B.L.U.E. capsules will fit... vintage Neumann capsules will fit [like you'd find on a CMV-3 or CMV-563 [etc.]... whether or not they tickle your fancy would be a personal aesthetic kind of thing I really can't comment upon.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Peace
JZ Microphones doesn't produce those capsules anymore, but if you want know which is the manufacturer of the original capsules, than compare those JZ produced and try a new Blue capsule!
Old 3rd July 2012
Gear Head

Just thought I'd follow up since I've had some time to experiment with this setup since inquiring about it. The ELA M260 is a gorgeous sounding mic in it's own right. Beautiful tone.

I've now tried a B7 & a B6 capsule on the 260 with really lovely results.

Good times.
Old 3rd July 2012
Here for the gear
Great to know! These are next on my purchase list for both the sound and the capsules they can handle. Very versatile! I'll probably post some audio files in a few weeks once I've got everything.
Old 21st May 2013
Lives for gear

Thought I would bump this old thread looking for first hand accounts from those that have used various Blue, or other capsules with the 260’s. In particular I am interested in the B0 and B6 capsules from Blue. Interested in hearing about any, however.
Old 22nd May 2013
Lives for gear

You should check out an original m7 as well as a violet design vin67.
Old 19th April 2015
Lives for gear

Bump!

I just bought a pair of the ela m 260's and I'm also considering an ak47 mkII for vocals, room, and overhead.
But... I'm wondering if I could buy one of the blue capsules and get something similar? Any experience?

Post some clips of vox and other sources if you got'em! Help us out.

Thanks
Old 10th May 2015
Lives for gear

Bump!

Any clips of an ela m 260 using a blue or violet designs capsule?
Old 26th July 2017
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have a pair of 260's coming to me soon, however Telefunken has informed me that they no longer make the capsule adapters. Does anyone know why, or where I could find a pair?

Thanks!
Old 26th July 2017
Lives for gear

Hey dude,
I don't know why they stopped making them, but I have one I've never used because I never bought a blue capsule for it. Two reasons for me never buying one. One, seems like no one has experience using them as indicative of this thread. I don't want to take that plunge to Be the first to find out. Too much risk. The second reason is I found a few threads on other forums in which people were skeptical if the Elam 260 could provide enough voltage (I think that's the term) to properly polarize the blue capsules.

That's what I found. I was a bit bummed no one had any experience until I found those other threads. Maybe that's why they stopped making the adapters or maybe no one was willing to spend $600 to find out if the blue capsules sound good with the 260's. The Elam 260's are awesome on their own though. Great for many applications.
Old 26th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
Hey dude,
I don't know why they stopped making them, but I have one I've never used because I never bought a blue capsule for it. Two reasons for me never buying one. One, seems like no one has experience using them as indicative of this thread. I don't want to take that plunge to Be the first to find out. Too much risk. The second reason is I found a few threads on other forums in which people were skeptical if the Elam 260 could provide enough voltage (I think that's the term) to properly polarize the blue capsules.

That's what I found. I was a bit bummed no one had any experience until I found those other threads. Maybe that's why they stopped making the adapters or maybe no one was willing to spend $600 to find out if the blue capsules sound good with the 260's. The Elam 260's are awesome on their own though. Great for many applications.
Thanks for the info! I'm definitely excited to get the mics, and I'm sure that i'll love the capsules that come with it. I am planning on getting the M60 bodies as well, and was thinking I would get a pair of AKG CK 1 capsules in case I had a session that I wanted to use cardioid on both pairs. I guess i'll just grab an extra pair of their cardioids to make it easier.
Old 26th July 2017
Lives for gear

That's disappointing. I recently acquired som M60s and was looking forward to eventually trying some alternative capsules on them. Oh well. The T-Funk capsules do sound pretty good, though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search