The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Big round warm sounding mic for vocals
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Maniac

I currently track artists vocals with my akg c414bxls. I'm looking for a vocal mic that will give the vocals a nice warm big sound. I'm a fan of the telefunken AK47mkII and the miktek c4.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

So are you wanting an option that's cheaper than those?
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear
Check out the ADK Custom Shop tube mics, they're the bomb for the price.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Another option might be the AT 4047. has a sometimes annoying peak in the upper mids, but otherwise a very warm, nice sounding mic.
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Addict

Bearing in mind I see no mention of budget:

If you can find (and afford) a used Soundelux E49 it is heavenly.

Another warm (and far less expensive) mic I like a lot is the Blue Baby Bottle, though it will pick up a good amount of room.
Old 18th January 2012
When you say 'warm' do you mean with a lot of coloration (i.e. from a tube and transformer), or dark (with some hi freq roll off, or no or little rise in top)?
Old 18th January 2012
FLEA 47 could be great.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Or a Flea 49.

-R
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
When you say 'warm' do you mean with a lot of coloration (i.e. from a tube and transformer), or dark (with some hi freq roll off, or no or little rise in top)?
well I'm not the OP, but I'd like to hear your recommendations for colored mics. (in a good way)
Old 18th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Gregory View Post
well I'm not the OP, but I'd like to hear your recommendations for colored mics. (in a good way)
Please let me know the budget window. Thanks.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

The few popular old Neumann will get ya there. Or old RCA.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

I think an AT4060 will fit what you would need. Again, as Nathan said, warm is interpreted differently by a lot of people. I consider the 4060 to be a warm mic. Some consider it 'hazy' sounding. I love it and feel it fits in mixes well while sounding big. I'm guessing that's what you might be looking for.
Old 19th January 2012
Gear Maniac

AEA R84 will deliver.
Old 19th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Please let me know the budget window. Thanks.
let's say….. about 3k or less
Old 19th January 2012
Quote:
That puts out the Bock 241 and Wunder CM7-GT (both models), which is too bad because they are just over $3k and both excellent mics. There is a pretty big gap in the $2500-$3200 category for some reason.

Most of the ADK custom shop is well under $3k (TT's AU are half that), and huge bang for the buck in quality (the "CS" types, and then the less expensive "TT" type). They range from brighter to thicker depending on the type you choose.

Peluso 2247 standard and 2247 LE.

Telefunken USA AK47mk2, AR-51 and CU29 (the 'warmest' of the bunch is the CU29 IMO).

AEA's R84 and R92 are also great vocal mics sometimes, big ribbon sound, but can be sensitive to wind velocity so they can't always be worked up close in the way a condenser can. Sometimes just the thing though for sibilant or overly bright voices.

This is all in my experience, there may be others on the market I'm not familiar with.

Bock ifet7 (which is supposed to be reissued this year) had two modes, one was more clear and fast, the other more rich and smokey. All of these have more or less top end emphasis so it depends on how you want that to be represented.

I'd love to see Josephson do a LDC version of the e22s. I'd think it could be $1500-$1700 street and huge sounding.
Old 19th January 2012
AEA R44 is huge, warm, round, full, voice of God mic.
Old 19th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
AEA R44 is huge, warm, round, full, voice of God mic.
Quoted for TRUTH!!
Old 19th January 2012
If R44 is out of budget then Cloud JRS-34-P is also very good.
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Get a new Bock 241. They go for around $3k.

My former band-mate Paul just got one and he loves it. He has a great ear and a great voice so I value his opinion.

Also, I have had a lot of Bock and Soundelux (older Bock) mics over the years and they all perform great.

- Cheers

PS. I agree with Justin. I have an AEA 44c, and to me it is one of my all-time favorite mics. Warm and natural in almost all situations.
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Mix View Post
The Blue Ball mic is round, not sure if it's warm though.
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

The Bock 241 may be a great mic but I wouldn't think of it as warm and round. Seriously, I'd consider the Flea 49 or if you really have some bucks, the Wunder M49 clone (whatever it's called).

-R
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Royer 122 ... and it works on pretty much anything else under the sun. Flip it around and it's brighter!
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

when i think big and warm and under $3000, i think Coles 4038 or RCA 77.
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Mix View Post
I currently track artists vocals with my akg c414bxls. I'm looking for a vocal mic that will give the vocals a nice warm big sound. I'm a fan of the telefunken AK47mkII and the miktek c4.
What is YOUR definition of "warm"?
That term is so overused and maligned and means different things to different people.
Your singer must have a "warm" sounding voice first and no mic will "warm them up" per se>
You have to have a knowledge of frequencies first and then deal with the shortcomings and anomalies which may exist in that singer.
Old 19th January 2012
Gear Addict

I'm really diggin my Flea 47 into the Portico II--with Rupert's magic "silk" button engaged. Yes!!
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Soundelux U95
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
The Bock 241 may be a great mic but I wouldn't think of it as warm and round. Seriously, I'd consider the Flea 49 or if you really have some bucks, the Wunder M49 clone (whatever it's called).

-R
Really? It has measurably more bass than a 49 of any stripe, as much as I prefer 49s over 47s for vocals.
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbock View Post
Really? It has measurably more bass than a 49 of any stripe, as much as I prefer 49s over 47s for vocals.
My apologies, David, I had used the 151, not the 241, so my comments should be directed at that mic. Is the 241 significantly different? I gather it replaced the 151 at the same price point.

In any case you can't necessarily just equate more measurable bass with "warm and round". My particular Flea 49 has a small rise in the low end that begins at around 100 hz and rises about a db as it gets to 80, then flattens out to 50. Subjectively, it has way more low end than the 151, as does the Flea 47, but whether that translates to "warm and round" in a real recording context is a function of many factors. In my experience and applications it does.

-R
Old 25th January 2012
Agree w/ yotonic and Nathan on the ADK cs series. I think Larry makes great mics.
Another great warm full bodied mic in your price range is the Soundelux E49.
Old 25th January 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Love the AEA R44 (+1), or Pearlman 250 at this price level.

Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search