The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My first PRE ??? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 18th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I also own a Juggernaut twin which is a very nice unit, but its great features (meaning to be able to tweak every single detail) is also his big downsize IMO.. I guess other people might be very happy with all those features
Correct, example being all the other people who own or rent one.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomiboy View Post
A selection of SCA Pre's would open up some options for you and not break the bank. They are awesome value for money and the various models open up quite a lot of sonic diversity.
I second the SCA pre's

Even though they have such a nice price point, the quality stands up along side the finest
Old 19th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Correct, example being all the other people who own or rent one.
Now that's what I'm talking about, the Juggernaut twin can go places as opposed the dedicated pres.
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

I was really wanting a good 8 channel pre for drums and the 828 made of lot of sense[/QUOTE]

I'd also suggest an ATI 8mx2, 8 channels of GREAT preamps..especially considering the price.. As a bonus you'll also get some basic mixing features.

Just my 0.02$,

Bests

Cheu
Old 20th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
I was really wanting a good 8 channel pre for drums and the 828 made of lot of sense
I'd also suggest an ATI 8mx2, 8 channels of GREAT preamps..especially considering the price.. As a bonus you'll also get some basic mixing features.

Just my 0.02$,

Bests

Cheu[/QUOTE]

I need for drums also, now what about the convertors going out?
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basslik View Post
I need for drums also, now what about the convertors going out?
Any 8 channel AD converter will do the trick.. Apogees, mitek, rme..etc..
But these preamps would be my choice as an allround 8 channel preamp that sounds great and doesn't cost a fortune.

Good luck with you search!

Bests,

Cheu
Old 21st January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Any 8 channel AD converter will do the trick.. Apogees, mitek, rme..etc..
But these preamps would be my choice as an allround 8 channel preamp that sounds great and doesn't cost a fortune.

Good luck with you search!

Bests,

Cheu
Yea I'm really digging the ISA828, but my concern is I want to bypass the convertors on the 003 so are convertors on the 828 good enough, or do I look into getting a Lynx or ensemble?, bare in mind I need to go adat cause I'm running an Imac and won't be able to run a D-sub cable. THANKS ALL
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yea I'm really digging the ISA828, but my concern is I want to bypass the convertors on the 003 so are convertors on the 828 good enough, or do I look into getting a Lynx or ensemble?, bare in mind I need to go adat cause I'm running an Imac and won't be able to run a D-sub cable. THANKS ALL
Probably the lynx and the apogees will be better than what you find in the ISA828 or similar products, but the difference might be relatively small.

I don't know if I understood it correctly.. But.. You need an 8 channel preamp and some converters so that you'll be able to skip the converters in the 003 entering in the 003 via the adat port.. Right?

If so.. ATI 8mx2 > with a db25-jack cable to > Ferrofish A16 mkII (or any converter you want.. If space is not a problem you could try an HD24XR..or any 8 channel AD standalone converter that has an adat out, like the ones you suggested) > adat in of the 003.
There's also the audient asp008 with the adat out option..the preamps are nice, but IMO not at the same level as the ATI..
Btw I wouldn't worry too much about converters at this price point.. They will be more or less the same and do the job.. Moving the position of the mic will do bigger differences IMO.. For really having a step up in conversion you might want to check out the Forssell converters or the Weiss (truly stellar pieces), but of course at a very different pricepoint.

I hope this helps,

Bests,

Cheu
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Probably the lynx and the apogees will be better than what you find in the ISA828 or similar products, but the difference might be relatively small.

I don't know if I understood it correctly.. But.. You need an 8 channel preamp and some converters so that you'll be able to skip the converters in the 003 entering in the 003 via the adat port.. Right?

If so.. ATI 8mx2 > with a db25-jack cable to > Ferrofish A16 mkII (or any converter you want.. If space is not a problem you could try an HD24XR..or any 8 channel AD standalone converter that has an adat out, like the ones you suggested) > adat in of the 003.
There's also the audient asp008 with the adat out option..the preamps are nice, but IMO not at the same level as the ATI..
Btw I wouldn't worry too much about converters at this price point.. They will be more or less the same and do the job.. Moving the position of the mic will do bigger differences IMO.. For really having a step up in conversion you might want to check out the Forssell converters or the Weiss (truly stellar pieces), but of course at a very different pricepoint.

I hope this helps,

Bests,

Cheu
Correct,need to bypass the oo3 convertors, I have $3,000 to spend and I think the ISA828 will do great, also Isn't the ATI more for live recording?
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Correct,need to bypass the oo3 convertors, I have $3,000 to spend and I think the ISA828 will do great, also Isn't the ATI more for live recording?
It should fit your budget.. Or around that..
The ATI is used a lot also for live recording, probably because of the monitoring/mixing capabilities it has, the great sound, the 8 channel 1RU space saving factor and maybe also the heritage it has (it's the same preamp from the paragon console, which were the best, or among the best, analog live console ever made)..
If you go for the ATI get the newer ones, that have the 48v button on the front and a quieter fan.
I used one few years ago with a jazz trio, in the studio but mainly recording live (very few overdubs).. The ATI performed great!

So you could use it in the studio

Cheu
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
It should fit your budget.. Or around that..
The ATI is used a lot also for live recording, probably because of the monitoring/mixing capabilities it has, the great sound, the 8 channel 1RU space saving factor and maybe also the heritage it has (it's the same preamp from the paragon console, which were the best, or among the best, analog live console ever made)..
If you go for the ATI get the newer ones, that have the 48v button on the front and a quieter fan.
I used one few years ago with a jazz trio, in the studio but mainly recording live (very few overdubs).. The ATI performed great!

So you could use it in the studio

Cheu
The UA Apollo has me rethinking now?, although only 4 pres, I can lean toward a lunchbox over time. Man 2ms latency (WOW)
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Addict

I have a Pacifica and love it. Best to try a few and settle on one that way. That's what I did and found to like the Pacifica over the ones I tested.
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelead View Post
I have a Pacifica and love it. Best to try a few and settle on one that way. That's what I did and found to like the Pacifica over the ones I tested.
My heart is with the Pacifica if I'm going to get one pre. I'm now trying to think in terms of 8pres with an interface with decent A/D's. Pacifica I must have though somewhere down the line.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search