The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
De-essing trick from Bob Clearmountain... Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 30th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
This is what I do if I really care about the vocal track.
People do that?!?!
Old 31st December 2011
Gear Addict

I really like my analog DBX263.
It makes the vocals sound more solid as it takes away some of the hifreq fizz to.
Also works on electric guitar for fizz removal.
Old 31st December 2011
I use a similar technique but I cut out all the offending sss to their own track and eq them if necessary as well as riding the levels. If time is tight though spitfish does a quick and dirty job.heh
Old 31st December 2011
Gear Head

GENIUS!!!!!

Honestly this sounds the easiest time saver and most natural way of de-essing! I love this idea! It can be used for way more than de-essing too! Thanks for the great tip. I will have to use this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
You can use phase to de-ess as well:

- Copy just the offending sibilant wave section to another track (you can see it in the waveform - there's an example above).
- Using an EQ create a frequency envelope with high and low pass filters to only play the sibilant frequencies range (e.g. 4500 to 8000Hz).
- Reverse the phase.
- Raise volume of the new phase-reversed track to reduce the noise on the main track.
Old 31st December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man
You can use phase to de-ess as well:

- Copy just the offending sibilant wave section to another track (you can see it in the waveform - there's an example above).
- Using an EQ create a frequency envelope with high and low pass filters to only play the sibilant frequencies range (e.g. 4500 to 8000Hz).
- Reverse the phase.
- Raise volume of the new phase-reversed track to reduce the noise on the main track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diskreet1 View Post
Honestly this sounds the easiest time saver and most natural way of de-essing! I love this idea! It can be used for way more than de-essing too! Thanks for the great tip. I will have to use this!
Please excuse some healthy questions kicking in here.. this seems like added complication.
You're already focusing/isolating out the ess' section (this method or basic volume automation) why the filters? Looking at changing the tone of it as well perhaps?
Then volume trims (be it inverted, no big deal.

Just to toss in re envelopes then. Very often once at this level of detail on a track pre and post layers are already in there I'm using one or the other doing more than simple level jumps. Point being doing slopes, fades, cleanup', leveling, all this stuff can fall in under existing lines of automation..
Old 31st December 2011
Lives for gear

Did I miss someone answering the question of what are your PT trim plugs of choice? I've been using an L1 limiter, w. a zero release setting.

Any better choices? I have Waves plugs.
Old 1st January 2012
Lives for gear

PT has a stock trim plugin, which works fine. No need to have a CPU-hungry plug in there to do something so simple.
Old 1st January 2012
Gear Guru

All trim plugs are equal in my world.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 1st January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
All trim plugs are equal in my world.

Gregory Scott - ubk
LOL. I guess everyone's not looking for perfection.
I do a very similar thing. Split the audio wav and use the volume tab on the wav track. Basically, the same. Can still do rides, automation. I use Cubase tho.
Old 21st June 2017
Gear Head

@ u b k

Mad props for the trim plugin de-esser trick!
I have been going mad removing bass squeaks and plosives with hardware - DBX 902, plugins - Waves, Massey, Isotope RX, etc.
Nothing comes close to the precise degree of control as the trim plugin. 6 years ago or in 2017.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search