The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MTA Console question (990/980) Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 24th April 2006
Gear Nut

MTA Console question (990/980)

Just wondering if there are any MTA 990 owners or people with experience with this board. I know the 980 is the flagship board that Radiohead owns, just wondering if anyone know the differences between the 990 (which seems to be less expensive if nothing else) and the 980's. Are there any pitfalls with the stock 990's? Power supply or ground distribution issues? Reliability issues? Do people enjoy working on the 990's? Any input or referral to resources would be appreciated. Thanks!

Larry Heinemann
Old 24th April 2006
Lives for gear

No big MTA experience but I picked up a small custom, Line input only, 10 stereo channel custom mixer from a uk broadcaster a few years ago. Recently wired it up and was astounded at how good it sounds!

I see big MTA's going very cheap and if I had the space.............
Old 24th April 2006
Lives for gear

I was once researching for a purchase of a 980. I seem to recall a very few posts on rec.audio.pro newsgroup. I THINK there were significant problems reported with the 990, but cannot recall what they were as that was not the console I was looking at.
Old 26th April 2006
Gear Nut

MTA 990/980

To follow up, Malcolm Toft himself was kind enough to respond to an email I wishfully sent to the Ted Fletcher Electroacoustics folks who are the company that acquired MTA. In a brief email exchange he said that the 990 was for all intents and purposes an "Inline" version of the 980 that would have the same build quality as the 980.

Larry
Old 26th April 2006
Lives for gear

Yes Mr Toft is lovley guy who IMHO should be revered a la Neve.
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Mta 990

Yeah I really have a soft spot for the 990. I used it fairly extensively for about 4 years and it has a really rich sound. I used it mostly for summing mixes from sequoia, using a bit of eq here and there, I wasn't a big fan of the low shelf tho. Great desk, very quiet, great pres, good EQ but I personally prefer to use CSP or summit for general eq..
Old 1st March 2012
Gear Maniac

Malcom Toft MTA 990

Anybody still using this console and if yes, what is your experience with this console?

Love? Hate?

Why?

Looking at one and not sure if I should go for it.

Thanks,
Oliver
Old 10th July 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitzHits View Post
Anybody still using this console and if yes, what is your experience with this console?

Love? Hate?

Why?

Looking at one and not sure if I should go for it.

Thanks,
Oliver
Did you get it? Hope you have five years of experience you can share with me now, me being in the same situation.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search