The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio
Old 20th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Love your posts, @ thismercifulfate ! Looks like a great set-up.

Where is Flora located? Love to visit sometime.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post

https://www.florarecording.com/
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
I’m at Tucker Martine’s studio Flora Recording and Playback for a 10 day session. The studio is insanely cool and there’s more gear than I know what to do with and even a real echo chamber. We’re switching a lot of gear out from song to song but here’s the basic setup we begun with on drums:

KickIn - D112 or M88 - Avedis MA5 - API560
KickOut - U195 - Console - API560
SnTp1 - KM84 - Console
SnTp2 - Unidyne III - Neve 1064
SnBt - MD441 - Console
Hats - KM86 - Capi VP28
Ride - KM86 - 33105
Crotch - RCA 77 - x73 - 1176
Toms - e22S - Console - SPL Transient Designer
OHS - U67- Console - 670
RmStereo - R88 - Console - 1178
RmMono - M49 - Console - SpecterSonics Model

I’m not using every mic on every song but this setup gives us the most options. The Console is an API Legacy with 212L pres and 550L EQ’s. Everything is going into a Burl Mothership.
Good golly! Looks like fun man!!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I’m at Tucker Martine’s studio Flora Recording and Playback for a 10 day session. The studio is insanely cool and there’s more gear than I know what to do with and even a real echo chamber. We’re switching a lot of gear out from song to song but here’s the basic setup we begun with on drums:

KickIn - D112 or M88 - Avedis MA5 - API560
KickOut - U195 - Console - API560
SnTp1 - KM84 - Console
SnTp2 - Unidyne III - Neve 1064
SnBt - MD441 - Console
Hats - KM86 - Capi VP28
Ride - KM86 - 33105
Crotch - RCA 77 - x73 - 1176
Toms - e22S - Console - SPL Transient Designer
OHS - U67- Console - 670
RmStereo - R88 - Console - 1178
RmMono - M49 - Console - SpecterSonics Model

I’m not using every mic on every song but this setup gives us the most options. The Console is an API Legacy with 212L pres and 550L EQ’s. Everything is going into a Burl Mothership.
Seems like fun times. I didn't realize there was a new Flora. I remember the video Tucker posted as he moved out of the old space.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Very nice!
I can imagine that that is a fun space to get great tones!!
I always wondered why the api 212 are not more popular (since they put them in their flagship consoles), and also why the 200 series didn’t boom (yet)..

I understand that is smaller and there’s less space to deal with, BUT a simple hp/lp filter, great sounding 2 band eq’s, or a simple compressor (like the 225) could be done (as api proves) and in today environment a small 10x2 mini console made with these modules could be a very cool thing..

How do you find the 212 compared to their (more popular) 512?
(or compared to the MA5.. which of course is a different beast but I see more and more of them lately.. finally )

Cheu
I cut my teeth at a studio that used to have an API Legacy Plus 48 channel with 24 212L’s. I think they are the best of the best that API ever made. You can put them in an L200 lunchbox but they obviously sound the best in a console. They have a sound that I would describe as sweeter and, more open than the 512, 3124 and the pres in the 1608 console, whie still having the famed API punch and speed. I hear an upper midrange harshness in modern API pres and EQ’s that I don’t hear in the 212’s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
Always a pleasure seeing your set-ups. Really! Thanks for contributing so much to this thread!

R.
Thank you and you’re welcome!

Quote:

It’s in northeast Portland, Oregon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
Good golly! Looks like fun man!!
It sure is!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Seems like fun times. I didn't realize there was a new Flora. I remember the video Tucker posted as he moved out of the old space.
It’s significantly larger than his old space. And somehow every square inch is still piled up with gear!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It’s significantly larger than his old space. And somehow every square inch is still piled up with gear!
I just looked through the website. Gear for days and a great looking space. I'd love a place like that.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I cut my teeth at a studio that used to have an API Legacy Plus 48 channel with 24 212L’s. I think they are the best of the best that API ever made. You can put them in an L200 lunchbox but they obviously sound the best in a console. They have a sound that I would describe as sweeter and, more open than the 512, 3124 and the pres in the 1608 console, whie still having the famed API punch and speed. I hear an upper midrange harshness in modern API pres and EQ’s that I don’t hear in the 212’s.

Thank you and you’re welcome!

It’s in northeast Portland, Oregon.

It sure is!
Api should do a legacy channelstrip with:

212 preamp, 215 filters, the 225 compressor (or something derived from that), and a 550eq (or a 500 free slot) and most important the fader, in order to be closer to that “console” sound..

Aka bring back the api 7600 updated as a MK2 or call it the legacy channelstrip..

Also it would be cool a small console 10x2 (or by 4) with 4 additional stereo returns, 4 auxes.. with some monitor controller feats, and a 2 slot 500 series slot for that 529 stereo compressor..?
Sort of a box two, but with the 212, pres, 200 series filter and compressor on every channel, inserts for external eq’s (or the possibility to integrate a 10slot 500 series lunchbox above it, with 550/560 or whatever the user wants).
Like a small tracking gem.. different from the box..
I’d say that it could have a market

Mr Droppa and @ API Sez... .. are you listening ?

I’ll be happy to take the prototype in exchange of giving you this idea

Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 20th November 2020 at 10:25 PM..
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

212 preamp, 215 filters, the 225 compressor (or something derived from that), and a 550eq (or a 500 free slot) and most important the fader, in order to be closer to that “console” sound..

Cheu
Your dream strip exists in UAD land...

It's a fantastic strip. A HW version would be somewhat tasty
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Your dream strip exists in UAD land...

It's a fantastic strip. A HW version would be somewhat tasty
Nice, it would be cool to have a similar hw version of it.. (sort of like it was the 7600 channelstrip).

Cheu
Old 21st November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'll probably get in trouble for going a bit off topic, but I thought I would post this here since it's such a unique drum. I did a little demo of my A&F 18x4 Gunshot Snare. I started off with it tuned pretty high just for the hell of it. Not my favorite tone, but sounded pretty solid once I got the SnareWeight or BFSD Donut on there. This thing is INSANE once you tune it lower. It would be waaaaay too much for most "typical" application, but it's absolutely beautiful with some brushes. I can imagine it working out really well in some ballad situations with minimal mic'ing. It also is a surprisingly good kick drum. It would KILL on some deader kind of Stax/Funk applications. Pretty thuddy, but I don't have anything else like it right now.

It's also for sale if anyone is interested. I have no gripes with it and really enjoyed it, but I keep buying drum stuff even though I don't do many drum sessions. I'm not a drummer and I want another electric guitar, haha....

Old 21st November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
I did a little demo of my A&F 18x4 Gunshot Snare.
It's also for sale if anyone is interested.
That's quite a great piece! And they sell for hundreds of dollars! like 11 to 20 of them hundred-dollars new. What kind of heads do you use on them?
Old 21st November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That's quite a great piece! And they sell for hundreds of dollars! like 11 to 20 of them hundred-dollars new. What kind of heads do you use on them?
All the A&F stuff is stupid expensive, but I've yet to hear anything that sounds remotely close when tuned low. There's just something special sprinkled in there. I'm not a drummer and all my other drum stuff is super cheap things that record really well and I've learned to deal with over the years. Most overtones on drums drive me nuts, their 14x5 brass snare is the first snare I've ever been able to just sloppily tune up and it sound right without doing anything to it. I begrudgingly spent the money for a few of their things and it's made my job a lot easier during production. Totally worth it to me.

For snare, I'm just using the stock Remo Ambassadors. Kick batter side was a Powerstroke P4 Clear, which I've hated on other kicks in the past. It worked perfectly on this one with one of the Remo Sub Muff'l Systems.
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Location recording at a friend's house in the Hamptons.

I rarely capture a drum kit without my trusty 'Drummer's Right Knee Mic Technique.'

Here's a view from kitchen area looking into drum and bass world and from rear corner looking towards kitchen area.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-09-i-cannot-capture-drum-kit-without-my-trusty-drummers-right-knee-mic-technique..jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-09-view-kitchen-area-looking-into-drum-bass-world..jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-09-view-rear-corner-looking-towards-kitchen-area..jpg  
Old 5th December 2020
Here for the gear

I updated my home studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iScyuY96NVU

Interface: Arturia Audiofuse 8pre + Behringer ADA8000
Bass Drum 1: Shure Beta 52a
Bass Drum 2: Audio Technica AT3035 with Earthworks KickPad KP1
Beater: Electro-Voice RE20
Snare: Earthworks SR25
Tom: Shure Beta 98H/C
Floor Tom: Shure Beta 98H/C
Hi Hat: Shure SM81
Overheads: Earthworks SR25 (2x)
Room: Audio Technica AT3035 (2x)

Oriollo Bakar Spun Copper
• 22X14, 13X9, 16X14

Snare
• Joyful Noise TKO Bronze 14X6.5

Cymbals
• UFIP Class Series Light Hi-Hats 14”
• UFIP Class Series Light Ride 22”
• UFIP Class Series Medium Crash 16”
• UFIP Class Series Heavy Crash 18”
• UFIP Rough Series China 18”
• UFIP Rough Series Wave Hi-Hats 12”
• UFIP Rough Series Wave Hi-Hats 14”
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-d81_3050-2.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-d81_3031-3.jpg  
Old 5th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmill View Post
I updated my home studio.

Interface: Arturia Audiofuse 8pre + Behringer ADA8000
Bass Drum 1: Shure Beta 52a
Bass Drum 2: Audio Technica AT3035 with Earthworks KickPad KP1
Beater: Electro-Voice RE20
Snare: Earthworks SR25
Tom: Shure Beta 98H/C
Floor Tom: Shure Beta 98H/C
Hi Hat: Shure SM81
Overheads: Earthworks SR25 (2x)
Room: Audio Technica AT3035 (2x)

Oriollo Bakar Spun Copper
• 22X14, 13X9, 16X14

Snare
• Joyful Noise TKO Bronze 14X6.5

Cymbals
• UFIP Class Series Light Hi-Hats 14”
• UFIP Class Series Light Ride 22”
• UFIP Class Series Medium Crash 16”
• UFIP Class Series Heavy Crash 18”
• UFIP Rough Series China 18”
• UFIP Rough Series Wave Hi-Hats 12”
• UFIP Rough Series Wave Hi-Hats 14”
I'd like to hear this.
Here for the gear

Quote:
I'd like to hear this.
Click on the youtube link.

Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sweet! You've got a great feel.
Old 7th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Monster groove!
Old 7th December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Sweet! You've got a great feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officialXYZ View Post
Monster groove!
Thanks!
Old 8th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Aka bring back the api 7600 updated as a MK2 or call it the legacy channelstrip..

Also it would be cool a small console 10x2 (or by 4) with 4 additional stereo returns, 4 auxes.. with some monitor controller feats, and a 2 slot 500 series slot for that 529 stereo compressor..?
Sort of a box two, but with the 212, pres, 200 series filter and compressor on every channel, inserts for external eq’s (or the possibility to integrate a 10slot 500 series lunchbox above it, with 550/560 or whatever the user wants).
Like a small tracking gem.. different from the box..
I’d say that it could have a market

Cheu
I think you have a great idea if they came out with a little basic 200 series sidecar sorta like the box but more uniformed and without that horrid name.

That would be cool.
Old 8th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
I think you have a great idea if they came out with a little basic 200 series sidecar sorta like the box but more uniformed and without that horrid name.

That would be cool.
I have a plan indeed.. I don’t know if this is doable.. I’ll try to find the right people to do it.. it’s not a sidecar though (which unless you have a real desk is not very useful, other than tracking or simple summing in the best case scenario).

What api should do is at least update their 212L preamp with a polarity reverse knob..

Also a good updated 200 series channelstrip with the 212 pre, the 215 filters, 225L compressor (maybe with a blend/mix feature) and a 3band eq (550a) would be pretty cool indeed. (I’d also add an insert point, selectionable, and a line in of course).

They should add the fader knob with an additional output stage.. this is totally doable for api, they have everything already.. just put it together on 1 or 2 pcb’s.. Would be rad. Call it the api vision channel.
(If they are kind could send one for free over here, just as a thank you.. )

Cheu
Old 10th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have a plan indeed.. I don’t know if this is doable.. I’ll try to find the right people to do it.. it’s not a sidecar though (which unless you have a real desk is not very useful, other than tracking or simple summing in the best case scenario).

What api should do is at least update their 212L preamp with a polarity reverse knob..

Also a good updated 200 series channelstrip with the 212 pre, the 215 filters, 225L compressor (maybe with a blend/mix feature) and a 3band eq (550a) would be pretty cool indeed. (I’d also add an insert point, selectionable, and a line in of course).

They should add the fader knob with an additional output stage.. this is totally doable for api, they have everything already.. just put it together on 1 or 2 pcb’s.. Would be rad. Call it the api vision channel.
(If they are kind could send one for free over here, just as a thank you.. )

Cheu
I’ve communicated ideas with api a few times they won’t move on it until the masses start buying other manufacturers products that grabbed the api thing and improved on it and by then it’s too late, for them anyway. Which is good the more options we have the better.

I think a simple 6 or 4 space 200 series lunch box would be a good seller.

And ABSOLUTELY YOUR IDEA FOR PHASE REVERSE IS GREAT I much rather have that then the -20 pad.
Old 10th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
From a little shoot out I did. I posted a thread about it. Thought I'd post the clip of the TF11 here since there aren't many on the outernet for us to hear

OH - TF11 - BAE1073mpf - no hpf - into XLA 500 fairly hard - hpf/lpf in logic
Kick - Avantone mondo - 1023L - [email protected] and light eq
Snare - Meris 440 - hpf 200 bump @4k

Let us know what you think

I think the top is really clear, but a bit too forward. I wouldn't say it's harsh but it is there and wants you to know it. As I said in other posts, the mic is really clear and captures a nice image. I think the top end is just a bit too generous with it's boost. This is evident in how it brings out the unpleasantness in the ride, which isn't as obvious as this mic captures. Not sure I'll keep it or send it back.

OT. The ride's wash is not for me and on the way out.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-image3.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-image1.jpg  
Attached Files

Mic 1.mp3 (2.31 MB, 784 views)

Old 12th December 2020
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Not a drum set, but too cool not to share! This is my setup for a session tomorrow recording Michael Waldrop. He’ll be playing this massive 9 foot long, 6-octave Yamaha Marimba while his wife who is a concert pianist accompanies him on our Steinway B. Neumann mics on everything:

U47, U87, U47 Marimba overheads - API 3124m
SM69fet in front - CraneSong Flamingo
M149’s (wide card) on the Piano - John McAllister Audio MP2.

All into CraneSong HEDD 192’s.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-1fe7af53-e6a4-4216-9efb-64e6ecc3e5b2.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-c4ae0fc2-05ae-4447-a201-8a4fa13acef0.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-ad21d946-1dae-441e-8a07-0a134bd87c34.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-1698c6d2-0615-43d7-8a3c-6648d30dc682.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-8350488c-53a9-41f1-8857-6a4e03968b9b.jpg  

Old 12th December 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Recorded In studio Mega in Sweden a couple of weeks ago. Very toontracky room sound. Huge!
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_20201129_220446.jpg  
Old 12th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not a drum set, but too cool not to share! This is my setup for a session tomorrow recording Michael Waldrop. He’ll be playing this massive 9 foot long, 6-octave Yamaha Marimba while his wife who is a concert pianist accompanies him on our Steinway B. Neumann mics on everything:

U47, U87, U47 Marimba overheads - API 3124m
SM69fet in front - CraneSong Flamingo
M149’s (wide card) on the Piano - John McAllister Audio MP2.

All into CraneSong HEDD 192’s.
nice - i've been using a somewhat similar three-front-mic setup on marimba but added either a u47fet or blm3 to pick up the lowest notes (and rear ambis in wide a/b).
Old 12th December 2020
Here for the gear

Hi gearslutz community,
I am a new member and thought that maybe this thread is a good opportunity to jump in and say hello to all ...
Here are two pictures of my mic'ed old Rogers set. The dynasonic snare is in the background, currently I use an old Ludwig Acrolite (less loud)
Because I am just a hobby musician I did not use top end gear - just standard mics like SM57, D112 and two AKG C391B for OH.
I always like nice pictures, here is my humble contribution...

ups, - now I got a message that I am not allowed to use image tags in my post ?
Maybe links will work .. RogersSet, Snare

Last edited by dynasonic; 12th December 2020 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynasonic View Post
Hi gearslutz community,
I am a new member and thought that maybe this thread is a good opportunity to jump in and say hello to all ...
Here are two pictures of my mic'ed old Rogers set. The dynasonic snare is in the background, currently I use an old Ludwig Acrolite (less loud)
Because I am just a hobby musician I did not use top end gear - just standard mics like SM57, D112 and two AKG C391B for OH.
I always like nice pictures, here is my humble contribution...

ups, - now I got a message that I am not allowed to use image tags in my post ?
Maybe links will work .. RogersSet, Snare
Nice kit!!
Welcome on GS!

The mics you’re using are fine..

you could upgrade slightly with a different choice of OH and bass drum mic and adding a pair of room mics (and without breaking the bank btw).

Try a beyer M88 or their new D70 bass drum mics, these are pretty good and not too expensive (the D12VR are also good, but more expensive).

As OH give a try to the Line Audio CM4.

And as a room mic (or even OH) a stereo ribbon mic will do well like the No Hype srm1 stereo mic.

(or even the Vanguard V44S stereo mic LDC’s if a condenser sound is wanted, also very versatile, since you could turn the upper head and use different configurations, a bit more expensive but still very inexpensive for a stereo mic).

These are all rather inexpensive mics that provide a good bang for your buck.

Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 12th December 2020 at 06:21 PM..
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
nice - i've been using a somewhat similar three-front-mic setup on marimba but added either a u47fet or blm3 to pick up the lowest notes (and rear ambis in wide a/b).
Where are you placing the mic for the low notes?
📝 Reply