The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Mic d up house kit in home studio

I treated the room a few months back , this was the first time doing drums in here.
Turned out nice .. better than anything we’ve done in outside studios.

What I ended up using.
OH : Coles 4038 pair Blumlein
Snare Top : 57
Snare Bottom : Blue Mouse
Kick In : AT250 DE
Subkick : Solomon
Wurst : EV637A
Rack Toms : 421’s
Floor Tom : 441
Room : Gefell UM70S

The Coles pair are so amazing.. every time I put them up blumlein with an acoustic instrument it blows me away
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-a4e64a65-46bc-4b6f-b92b-ee8cfe92844f.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-3a5e9643-3358-448b-b952-12539e3db023.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-47971c39-b40a-4257-9a15-facd0555bcf0.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-e9c26b9c-5f99-4096-a6f8-fe1b4626c26a.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-9f20134a-f652-49ea-af66-ff8914a055a7.jpg  

Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-77b070bf-8126-432f-a308-6f946f3822e0.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-fdbdee8c-ce86-4d80-8ce5-b4f607a3af79.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-acca1c0c-b341-48c3-bacc-27223b785e55.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-dc824fba-8d9c-4a80-a232-9a8737fd3cf9.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-fc1a8fa1-df8b-4157-8ce6-7c38a303a413.jpg  

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickenbacker198 View Post
(...)OH : Coles 4038 pair Blumlein (...)
From the pics it looks like that Blumlein pair is bisecting the kit front-to-back.
Doesn‘t that sound weird?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
From the pics it looks like that Blumlein pair is bisecting the kit front-to-back.
Doesn‘t that sound weird?
Yeah, rotating them about 45º would probably be great.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
The Coles pair are so amazing.. every time I put them up blumlein with an acoustic instrument it blows me away
I'd like to hear what you got as pictured.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'd like to hear what you got as pictured.
Here ya go, cut a bit of 300 Hz , otherwise dry

I don't claim to be an expert by any means, and you guys may cut this apart.
But I'm pretty happy for here in my basement.
Attached Files

OH Coles wrong way.mp3 (2.10 MB, 1475 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
I like it. Thanks for sharing!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Yeah, rotating them about 45º would probably be great.
Thanks for the advice Drumsound,
I’ll definitely try that out next time.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the advice Drumsound,
I’ll definitely try that out next time.
Think of the diagonal line through the snare and the bass drum as the center. That gives a really good stereo picture while keeping SD and BD right up the middle.

The example you posted sounds really good BTW
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:

I don't claim to be an expert by any means, and you guys may cut this apart.
But I'm pretty happy for here in my basement.
That sounds fantastic. And yes, you always have to cut 300 to 350 hz with drums. Just a default.

Basic rule of thumb: The deeper the cut, the more 'metal' the sound.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
(...) you always have to cut 300 to 350 hz with drums. Just a default (...)
lol!
got nothing to do with drums though: 315, 630, 4k and 10k are officially prohibited, under threat of excommunication or withdrawal of nobility - regardless of instrument!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
lol!
got nothing to do with drums though: 315, 630, 4k and 10k are officially prohibited, under threat of excommunication or withdrawal of nobility - regardless of instrument!
LMAO!! I forgot about the laws. 'Bless me father, for I have sinned.' or 'Forgive me, Milord'
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
lol!
i've always said "war on 315hz"

315hz. gotta go.

dump it.

it will always sound better.

always.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestifer View Post
i've always said "war on 315hz"

315hz. gotta go.

dump it.

it will always sound better.

always.
Did Roger Nichols say something like that in a Musician column years ago? I believe it was discussing mastering "First cut 1-2db of 315hz with a wide bell" or something like that.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Did Roger Nichols say something like that in a Musician column years ago? I believe it was discussing mastering "First cut 1-2db of 315hz with a wide bell" or something like that.
Too wide a bell and it starts sounding like a '57 through a Mackie into an ADAT Mark 1
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Too wide a bell and it starts sounding like a '57 through a Mackie into an ADAT Mark 1
That EXACT chain is a huge part of the reason I hate 57s.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
That EXACT chain is a huge part of the reason I hate 57s.
I hear ya. I hate them because they work on only ONE thing: Mic'ing the bottom right 12"speaker in a Marshall 4x12 speaker cabinet with the amplified cranked.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

this thread isn't about guitar amps but to me SM57 is "the" standard metal guitar high gain amp mic sound
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I hear ya. I hate them because they work on only ONE thing: Mic'ing the bottom right 12"speaker in a Marshall 4x12 speaker cabinet with the amplified cranked.
Wow, that's pretty specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
this thread isn't about guitar amps but to me SM57 is "the" standard metal guitar high gain amp mic sound
Pointy guitar sounds and pointy mics...
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Wow, that's pretty specific.
Hey, once in a while . . . every once in a while...
Quote:
Pointy guitar sounds and pointy mics...
LOL!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Q Drums in the Studio
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-q-record.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I had a jazz quartet drive up from the Bay area to record with me. None of the music on the album was anything straight-ahead and swinging. One of the tunes had a bit of a drum n bass style beat to it and I had fun dialing in a drum sound for that. The setup was the following:

Kick: AKG D12E - Vintech x73i
Snare: Neumann KM84 - Neve 33115
Hats: Neumann KM84 - Neve 33115
Crotch: Coles 4038 - Vintech x73i - Urei 1176revF
Toms: Neumann KM140 - Neve 1272 - SSL611
OHS: Schoeps CMC64 - Langevin AM16 - Electrodyne 511 (set flat)
Room: Coles 4038 - Avedis MA5 (gain pushed)
Snare Shell: Placid Audio RU-80 - Neve 1272

It was my first time trying the RU-80 right up against the snare shell and I loved it. It still catches a bit of the whole kit, although mostly not the non hihat cymbals, which is fine because I'm not super stoked how sustaining cymbals sound through that mic. It works extremely well with staccato sounds as you can hear.

I attached some clips. Everything is unprocessed except a limiter on the master bus and a little verb that I had for tracking on the sax.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-1e841daa-fd09-4e2f-9b5c-5265632653ed.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-8833fc4c-a4a5-46a8-8627-4100bb40de7a.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-ea131b91-efed-4ea2-a80f-cc82054a1b46.jpg  
Attached Files

NE_Drums.mp3 (2.28 MB, 703 views)

NE_RU80solo.mp3 (2.28 MB, 671 views)

NE_Drums+RU80.mp3 (2.28 MB, 682 views)

NE_Whole Band.mp3 (2.40 MB, 721 views)

Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
I had a jazz quartet drive up from the Bay area to record with me. None of the music on the album was anything straight-ahead and swinging. One of the tunes had a bit of a drum n bass style beat to it and I had fun dialing in a drum sound for that. The setup was the following:

It was my first time trying the RU-80 right up against the snare shell and I loved it. It still catches a bit of the whole kit, although mostly not the non hihat cymbals, which is fine because I'm not super stoked how sustaining cymbals sound through that mic. It works extremely well with staccato sounds as you can hear.

I attached some clips. Everything is unprocessed except a limiter on the master bus and a little verb that I had for tracking on the sax.
Sounds great, man.

Is that Jackpot, or is there a proliferation of green live rooms in Portland?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds great, man.

Is that Jackpot, or is there a proliferation of green live rooms in Portland?
Thanks, Tony! It’s Dead Aunt Thelma’s. The medium booth is green but the main live room is yellow.

Last edited by thismercifulfate; 1 week ago at 10:22 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks, Tony! It’s Dead Aunt Thelma’s. The medium booth is green but the main live room is yellow.
I like it!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sounds good>
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Working on a project where the last couple of songs are acoustic. For this one, I decided to set up a different set for some brush playing.

iSK 2B Beauty OH
Røde TF5 SD
Beyer M88 BD
12-Gauge stereo ROOM
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-10-9-oh.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-10-9-room.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-10-9-sd.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-10-9-bd.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-10-9-drum.jpg  

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Has anyone used a Pair of Mojave LDC Mics on Stereo Drum Room Or Stereo Overheads? If so please let me know your thoughts. I’m looking for a pair of LDC’s that I can use specifically for these 2 applications. They will be used for other things as well but I’m mainly considering them for these purposes.

Or I might consider buying another Flea 47 vintage series and just use them as a stereo pair when needed.

I absolutely love my flea 47 for mono drum room so I sorta know what I’d be getting x 2, but I’m thinking it wouldn’t hurt to buy something new that I haven’t tried.

I have all my SDC & Ribbon mics covered I’m specifically looking at LDC’s.

If I’m posting this in the wrong thread please delete this post.

Thanks in advance!
Steve
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
Has anyone used a Pair of Mojave LDC Mics on Stereo Drum Room Or Stereo Overheads? If so please let me know your thoughts. I’m looking for a pair of LDC’s that I can use specifically for these 2 applications. They will be used for other things as well but I’m mainly considering them for these purposes.

Or I might consider buying another Flea 47 vintage series and just use them as a stereo pair when needed.

I absolutely love my flea 47 for mono drum room so I sorta know what I’d be getting x 2, but I’m thinking it wouldn’t hurt to buy something new that I haven’t tried.

Thanks in advance!
Steve
I seem to remember Michael Wagener speaking fondly of the MA200 when it came out. I myself have 1 and have used it as overhead with useable results.
Then again, Fletcher hated them just as fervently. So trying them out before spending the money might be wise, as they seem to ellicit very diverse reactions.

Last edited by andychamp; 1 week ago at 10:38 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post

Thanks in advance!
Steve
I’d have said the Horch RM2J or RM2F..

but since you have the flea47 and love it I might go with that.. (I’d probably get a 48, so that you could be able to do/experiment with MS too )

A pair of U67’s is quite classic, also a C24 or a pair of C12’s or 251’s, but we’re speaking about a huge investment.. and while these are great, it’s already in the diminishing return type of “upgrade” (with that kinda cash involved)..

Another great pair is the old Violet Design Amethyst Vintage.. (cardioid only)
but these are more “modern” sounding.. (than a 47style mic).
As drum room mics are spectacular.. ‘cause they have an impressive lowend.. big, clear, tight not flabby at all and very deep..
The top end is detailed and also quite clean, on the bright side but not harsh.

TLM107 or Austrian Audio OC818 might also be something for that application.

I do also like something “mellower”, like a pair of U89 or tlm170 (or 193 if cardioid only it’s enough).

Cheu
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
I seem to remember Michael Wagener speaking fondly of the MA200 when it came out. I myself have 1 and have used it as overhead with useable results.
Then again, Fletcher hated them just as fervently. So trying them out before spending the money might be wise, as they seem to ellicit very diverse reactions.
Yea for sure I’ll have to try em with a good return policy.
📝 Reply