Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
lol!

Sorry thought it was the technical term,

for those not in the "know"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbPA...ature=youtu.be
Old 18th September 2020 | Show parent
Super Moderator

I've been calling it my "Knee Mic" since the early '80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanlon View Post
Sorry thought it was the technical term,

for those not in the "know"
Lives for gear

it's been the 'close ambi' mic for me since the mid-80's.

if using one (not that often and hardly ever live), it's almost exclusively been an omni sdc, b&k 4007 in my case.

i do recall three occasion though when it was either a km85i, a sm58 and once even a cos-11- all of those situation were kinda accidents:

- the k85i was on jon hiseman's kit: the mic fell down from its overhead position and somehow landed between the toms...

- the sm58 was on sheila e's and ndugu chancler's kits: some idiot stomped on the multipin connector of the multicore running to foh after soundcheck (we had to move foh do to additional tickets being sold) so i was soldering cables as fast as i could but had to start the show with just a single overal mic - which was hilarious compared to the forrest of mics on both their drums and percussion setup...

- i cannot recall whether the cos-11 was on chad wackerman's, danny gottlieb's or paul wertico's kit: the idea was to use it for an interview but the mic somehow got 'lost', clamped onto a tension rod on top of the kick...
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

@ deedeeyeah : on that show where we last met (where you helped me with the Soundcraft) I put an RE50 inside Florian‘s kit, and massively compressed it.
And not an ounce of feedback...
He must‘ve liked it, as he‘s been posting single-mic‘d videos of his playing on FB ever since.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
@ deedeeyeah : on that show where we last met (where you helped me with the Soundcraft) I put an RE50 inside Florian‘s kit, and massively compressed it.
And not an ounce of feedback...
He must‘ve liked it, as he‘s been posting single-mic‘d videos of his playing on FB ever since.
next step (for a drummer) then would be to play in a way that no compression is needed...

...but i assume days of musicians adjusting to mic techique are mostly gone?!

(i've had newbies yelling at me when asking whether i could put a mic in a specific position - which is kinda ironic 'cause i suggested different positioning options of cymbals and of course different cymbals altogether to world class drummers to enhance their sound when working for paiste in the 90's and they mostly gladly accepted 'a little bit help from a friend'...)

speaking of times/musicians long gone: listen to jimi hendrix today! (50 years since his death)
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
next step (for a drummer) then would be to play in a way that no compression is needed (...)
That time, the compression was my idea, for effect, and I ended up pulling down all other drum faders after 1-2 songs.
Florian Haas really is one of our best drummers around here (Nicole Bernegger/Error404BandNotFound/occasionally subbed with IraMay/tons of session jobs...)
Lives for gear

dunno him - too bad his playing suffered from a terrible mix yesterday at the 'floss' so i'd more interested to find out which idiot was responsible for that and who for the wrongly designed pa...

do you happen to have gaetano's mobile number/mail adress?
Old 22nd September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
I just put up my vintage Tama Superstar kit in my studio recently. I´ve been using it as a live kit (and used my Starclassic Maple in the studio), but since Covid19 there's not many gigs, I got it back to my studio, and added a couple more toms.

Just for fun - while rehearsing by myself for an upcoming Van Halen gig next weekend, I put up a GoPro and my iPhone and recorded Van Halen´s "I'm The One" while at it.

Sturla

Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-118492299_10158253252136201_4529068102088824359_o.jpg  
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturla75 View Post
I just put up my vintage Tama Superstar kit in my studio recently. I´ve been using it as a live kit (and used my Starclassic Maple in the studio), but since Covid19 there's not many gigs, I got it back to my studio, and added a couple more toms.

Just for fun - while rehearsing by myself for an upcoming Van Halen gig next weekend, I put up a GoPro and my iPhone and recorded Van Halen´s "I'm The One" while at it.

Sturla

Haha! Yeah man! That was sick!
Gear Guru

Quote:

Sturla

Nice work. The SuperStars sound great.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
this ones good. Steel Drums
Makes me hungry.
Old 22nd September 2020
Gear Nut

By drummers right shoulder; Coles 4038 - Warm Audio TB12
Kick in; Shure d112 - Warm Audio TB12
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-unadjustednonraw_thumb_8cd.jpg  
Old 23rd September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:

Sturla

Man that verse groove you did!
Old 23rd September 2020
Lives for gear

Recording a jazz trio today, featuring the compositions of the drummer.

Kick - Regensburg Dom - Neve 1272 - BAE G10
SnTp - KM84 - Neve 33115
Hats - KM84 - Neve 33115
Crotch - R121 - Vintech x73i - Urei 1176revF
Toms - KM140 - Avalon - SSL611
OHS - U47’s - Langevin AM16 - CraneSong STC8
Room - Coles - Neve 1272
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-58b197c8-438d-46cc-b8db-707f8c9d7aee.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-ce65d75b-6b4e-489c-9e0f-4a17c876bbc3.jpg  
Old 25th September 2020
Lives for gear

Micing up for a session tomorrow

MD 421 kick .................. VS Roland pre

RODE NT 3 snare .................. UA M610 tube

AT 4033 OH 1 ................. Manley DVC

M 179 OH 2 ................. Manley DVC
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-chris-drums-1.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-chris-drums-2-.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-2019-don.jpg  

Last edited by cjogo; 25th September 2020 at 07:45 AM..
Old 25th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
Micing up for a session tomorrow

MD 421 kick .................. VS Roland pre

RODE NT 3 snare .................. UA M610 tube

AT 4033 OH 1 ................. Manley DVC

M 179 OH 2 ................. Manley DVC
Is this a DW frequent flyer? Could you post a sample recording?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
5 tunes today -- we mix on Sunday -- will try to put up a tune ==soon
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
With lots of "refinements " > black rims ---Yamaha snare Dave Weckel model -- dual snare -- w/ custom 14in wood rims
Old 26th September 2020 | Show parent
Quote:

Sturla

if you reverse those mic rim clamp's you can get the mic's closer
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
if you reverse those mic rim clamp's you can get the mic's closer
Speaking of which, what’s the consensus for using rim mic clips in the studio over mic stands? I’ve never used the clips. But it would save some kluge.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Speaking of which, what’s the consensus for using rim mic clips in the studio over mic stands? I’ve never used the clips. But it would save some kluge.
For me that’s a huge no-go. The mics will pick up a crap ton of vibrations/rumble and they will wobble all over the place when you’re playing. That just creates extra cleanup work for you in post.
Lives for gear

Quote:
absolutely no problem - but of course the mics pick up a bit a different sound when clips are mounted on rims.

depends on setup/tuning/results one is after: i don't see the point of setting up a large forest of mic stands on my small 6", 8" and 10" rack toms above the kick - besides, such small toms cannot produce much sustain which would get affected by clips/mics.

it's essentially the same discussion as with tom mounts/hardware: either make i as sturdy as possible or then have everthing moving and shaking a bit - both approaches can lead to amazingly similar results...
OK for live, but less ideal for studio.
Old 26th September 2020
Gear Guru

Thank you folks. Yeah, I’d love it but the noise thing. I guess I was hoping that technology had fixed the reverberations of the drum. Lol.
Quote:
never a good idea in the studio- the transfer of vibrations is problematic, if i had too.. then whatever, but stands all the way, ... also back in the day, if you use a claw, it would suck up the tone and resonance in the toms, because they were so heavy, i always asked for stands in live situations, and of course the FOH guys would roll their eyes at me, I would just keep staring until i got my way
Old 26th September 2020
Gear Guru

I switched from clips to stands for tom mics because Bob Ohlsson told me to, haha. Some advice you just run with I guess.

I'd like to do an A/B comparison but I haven't got around to it.
Old 26th September 2020
Lives for gear
When I used tom mics I used clips on the rims. It was really out of necessity because I didn’t have enough stands. I never noticed any unusual vibrations, but I would also mute, or gate, the tom mic except when the toms were actually hit.

Now I don’t mic toms. YMMV.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I switched from clips to stands for tom mics because Bob Ohlsson told me to, haha. Some advice you just run with I guess.

I'd like to do an A/B comparison but I haven't got around to it.

I use both clips and stands in my studio depending on genre and client and if there is a video crew. I did some mild A/B testing and some clips vibrate and create rumble in the mics a lot more than others. I’ve tested about four different styles of clips and the ones I’m using now don’t create any noise whatsoever. They are on par with stands. That being said I’m using some really light mini pencil mics for toms that are similar to the DPA style mics so that’s a consideration. If I use 421’s or Other LDC’s I put them on stands. The other factor is that clamps can indeed choke the resonance of the drum depending on their location on the rim, which is why I mentioned me using clips being dependent on style. If it’s a genre that requires very muffled tone then I’ll use the clips. Here is a link to the clips I use from time to time:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002...b_b_asin_title
Old 27th September 2020
Gear Maniac

In his case, the EV mics used on the toms have better inner shockmounts than average I think.
📝 Reply