The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio
Old 22nd March 2020
  #5341
Lives for gear
 
roger's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
https://imgur.com/a/pySTvg2

Cascade Ribbon on OH

MD 421 kick ( 1973 model )

Rode NT 3 snare
You, sir, are a very large man! Is that a 26” kick?
Old 22nd March 2020
  #5342
Lives for gear
 
cjogo's Avatar
CAD M189 ~~ Sennheiser E935 ~~~ Rode NT 3 ~~~ MD 421
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-2019-don.jpg  
Old 23rd March 2020
  #5343
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
You, sir, are a very large man! Is that a 26” kick?
Lol. Too funny.
Old 23rd March 2020
  #5344
Lives for gear
 
cjogo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
You, sir, are a very large man! Is that a 26” kick?
Yes-- about 2 in thick --- Just purchased another Pearl set --- they are great for live /studio ---- Although I prefer E drums
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-pearl-drums-side-.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-drum_pad.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img632.jpg  
Old 23rd March 2020
  #5345
Lives for gear
 
cjogo's Avatar
D3600 on Kick

U 89 ~~ OH

CT pencil on the snare

CS 1000
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-_mg_9107.jpg  

Last edited by cjogo; 23rd March 2020 at 02:25 AM..
Old 24th March 2020
  #5346
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRanger View Post
Is any audio available from this session? Curious to hear what this kit sounds like recorded.
Let me see if I can dig up my backups from the album; it was released three years ago here: Poor Clare
Old 24th March 2020
  #5347
Gear Maniac
Thanks a bunch!


Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
Let me see if I can dig up my backups from the album; it was released three years ago here: Poor Clare
Old 24th March 2020
  #5348
Lives for gear
 
cjogo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
You, sir, are a very large man! Is that a 26” kick?
Hey >> nearly 6 ft 187 -- I can still play drums
Old 19th April 2020
  #5349
Lives for gear
 
edvdr76's Avatar
Just wrapped up a new album for Legado 7 last week. This was our drum setup. Kept it pretty simple.
Kick out: Yamaha Subkick
Kick in: Beta 52
Snare: 57 top and bottom
Toms: 421’s
HH: 451
OH: 414’s
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-f0f0c0f1-76bd-4727-8977-8ba22bcfb4d2.jpg  
Old 19th April 2020
  #5350
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by edvdr76 View Post
Just wrapped up a new album for Legado 7 last week. This was our drum setup. Kept it pretty simple.
Kick out: Yamaha Subkick
Kick in: Beta 52
Snare: 57 top and bottom
Toms: 421’s
HH: 451
OH: 414’s
A nice space like that and no room mics?
Old 24th April 2020
  #5351
Can’t remember if I’ve posted this one before but it came up on my FB ‘memories’ today from a couple of years ago so... this pic is from a session in my shop with Ian Thomas, who, in my view, is one of the UK’s top session drummers:
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-232aabf5-bf3f-4816-b7d4-0784765a01be.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5352
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
this pic is from a session in my shop with Ian Thomas, who, in my view, is one of the UK’s top session drummers:
Hey Trevor - what's the center front of kit mic you have on the big boom?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5353
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfreeman View Post
Hey Trevor - what's the center front of kit mic you have on the big boom?
Am not in studio so don't have recall sheets to hand but it looks like it may be a Royer R122v
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5354
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Am not in studio so don't have recall sheets to hand but it looks like it may be a Royer R122v
Thanks.

Boy those are great mics!!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5355
Lives for gear
 
thismercifulfate's Avatar
I tracked some drums for a friend in Guatemala today. To make it easy, I set up in the control room, and ran the mics into the console channels nearest to me so I could do everything from my drum throne and not have to get up. I used my C&C 18x14 maple kick, 1960’s Roger Cambridge 14x10 parade snare and 16” and 12” hihats. I recorded the kick and snare first, then came up with different hihat patterns to loop.

Kick - D112
Snare - EV n/d408B
Hats - KM84i
Crotch - Royer 121
“Overhead” - Coles 4038
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-f9a00caa-26ce-4fbd-a1f4-42fc2144b735.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-f7398c80-53c6-4834-ae86-c8d89adaa365.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-e5eb6c4a-5f0d-4254-9454-f6b8683b7046.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-fa3e33ce-e8d9-4805-9b3c-48e31095c3a8.jpg  
Attached Files

AD_Crotchmic1.mp3 (377.4 KB, 571 views)

AD_Drums1.mp3 (1.47 MB, 558 views)

AD_Mix1.mp3 (1.47 MB, 569 views)


Last edited by thismercifulfate; 4 weeks ago at 01:37 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5356
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
I tracked some drums for a friend in Guatemala today. To make it easy, I set up in the control room, and ran the mics into the console channels nearest to me so I could do everything from my drum throne and not have to get up. I used my C&C 18x14 maple kick, 1960’s Roger Cambridge 14x10 parade snare and 16” and 12” hihats. I recorded the kick and snare first, then came up with different hihat patterns to loop.

Kick - D112
Snare - EV n/d408B
Hats - KM84i
Crotch - Royer 121
“Overhead” - Coles 4038
Nice setup!

how did you point the 121? it doesn't sound the same on the 2 sides, so I wonder what the reasoning/concept was, what were you trying to achieve..? where did you put the nulls?

I guess you were going for a quite dry sound, given you recorded in the control room..
could you share some raw tracks (of the drums only)?

anyway..I see you're a CS Trakker lover!!
They're stellar pieces!



Cheu
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5357
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
I tracked some drums for a friend in Guatemala today. To make it easy, I set up in the control room, and ran the mics into the console channels nearest to me so I could do everything from my drum throne and not have to get up. I used my C&C 18x14 maple kick, 1960’s Roger Cambridge 14x10 parade snare and 16” and 12” hihats. I recorded the kick and snare first, then came up with different hihat patterns to loop.

Kick - D112
Snare - EV n/d408B
Hats - KM84i
Crotch - Royer 121
“Overhead” - Coles 4038
That looks like a fun session. Different set-ups can often spark cool creativity.

I'm with Cheu, post a drum sample if the client allows, please.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5358
Lives for gear
 
thismercifulfate's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Nice setup!

how did you point the 121? it doesn't sound the same on the 2 sides, so I wonder what the reasoning/concept was, what were you trying to achieve..? where did you put the nulls?

I guess you were going for a quite dry sound, given you recorded in the control room..
could you share some raw tracks (of the drums only)?

anyway..I see you're a CS Trakker lover!!
They're stellar pieces!



Cheu
That is my standard "crotch mic" position. I use it with a full kit or a stripped down one. It captures a nice balance of the whole kit and when you process it, you can get a really great character track to blend in the mix. I have added clips to my post, including the crotch mic, solo'd. The front lobe is pointing at the side of the snare. I crank up the SSL comp to max. threshold, max ratio and the fastest release. I also toggle the fast attack switch. Additionally, by enabling the "split" button on the EQ filter section, you can put the EQ before the comp. Then I filter some of the low-end out, to make the comp pump less. I think I had the HPF set to around 90-100hz. I'll have it higher or lower depending on the tempo of the song.

Those are actually HEDD192's! We do love Dave Hill gear though. We also have a Flamingo and a Summit EQP-200A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
That looks like a fun session. Different set-ups can often spark cool creativity.

I'm with Cheu, post a drum sample if the client allows, please.
I just updated my post with some clips. I'm a little self-conscious of my kick pedal making some sounds that you can hear in the drums only clips but they're not noticeable in the full mix.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5359
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
I tracked some drums for a friend in Guatemala today. To make it easy, I set up in the control room, and ran the mics into the console channels nearest to me so I could do everything from my drum throne and not have to get up. I used my C&C 18x14 maple kick, 1960’s Roger Cambridge 14x10 parade snare and 16” and 12” hihats. I recorded the kick and snare first, then came up with different hihat patterns to loop.

Kick - D112
Snare - EV n/d408B
Hats - KM84i
Crotch - Royer 121
“Overhead” - Coles 4038
Those sounds are really great. With your Metheny avatar I always assumed you were a guitar player. I didn't expect the song to sound like that based on hearing the drums. I dig it!!! Nice work.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5360
Lives for gear
 
andychamp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
That is my standard "crotch mic" position. I use it with a full kit or a stripped down one. It captures a nice balance of the whole kit and when you process it, you can get a really great character track to blend in the mix. I have added clips to my post, including the crotch mic, solo'd. The front lobe is pointing at the side of the snare. I crank up the SSL comp to max. threshold, max ratio and the fastest release. I also toggle the fast attack switch. Additionally, by enabling the "split" button on the EQ filter section, you can put the EQ before the comp. Then I filter some of the low-end out, to make the comp pump less. I think I had the HPF set to around 90-100hz. I'll have it higher or lower depending on the tempo of the song.

Those are actually HEDD192's! We do love Dave Hill gear though. We also have a Flamingo and a Summit EQP-200A.


I just updated my post with some clips. I'm a little self-conscious of my kick pedal making some sounds that you can hear in the drums only clips but they're not noticeable in the full mix.
Impressive tones, that snare is massive!
Did you pitch it down, or is that all EQ and compression?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5361
Lives for gear
 
thismercifulfate's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Those sounds are really great. With your Metheny avatar I always assumed you were a guitar player. I didn't expect the song to sound like that based on hearing the drums. I dig it!!! Nice work.
Ha that's funny! I'm the farthest thing from a guitarist. I'm primarily a drummer. As an engineer and also a drummer I cover a lot of musical styles, not specializing in any one in particular. Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot coming from another drummer and engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
Impressive tones, that snare is massive!
Did you pitch it down, or is that all EQ and compression?
That snare is a pure one-trick pony, but it does that one trick really well. No pitching or other tricks. I'm running an Evans HD Dry on top and a Hazy 500 on the bottom. The top head is tuned about as low as it goes and then some. The snares are really loose, to allow for the longer decay and maximum low-end. I'm also hitting with the back of a Vic Firth SD2 Bolero. The fundamental that the snare produces is somewhere around 70-80hz. I am adding a little EQ and using saturation. The only compression on the snare mic was a little 3:1 on the SSL strip on the way down and none in post. The sustain and tone are all coming from the crotch mic.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5362
Lives for gear
 
andychamp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
(...)That snare is a pure one-trick pony, but it does that one trick really well. No pitching or other tricks. I'm running an Evans HD Dry on top and a Hazy 500 on the bottom. The top head is tuned about as low as it goes and then some. The snares are really loose, to allow for the longer decay and maximum low-end. I'm also hitting with the back of a Vic Firth SD2 Bolero. The fundamental that the snare produces is somewhere around 70-80hz. I am adding a little EQ and using saturation. The only compression on the snare mic was a little 3:1 on the SSL strip on the way down and none in post. The sustain and tone are all coming from the crotch mic.
Amazing!
Is it 8" deep?
Because I have an 8" lying around that I never found a use for. But you just inspired me to try again and find a niche for it.
Better one trick than none!

And what is that thing on the top head? Looks like a kind of Rolodex or calling card dispenser...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5363
Lives for gear
 
thismercifulfate's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
Amazing!
Is it 8" deep?
Because I have an 8" lying around that I never found a use for. But you just inspired me to try again and find a niche for it.
Better one trick than none!

And what is that thing on the top head? Looks like a kind of Rolodex or calling card dispenser...
It's actually 10" deep! It's a parade drum. 1960's Roger Cambridge with mahogany and poplar shells and re-rings. The bearing edges are super rounded, which helps a lot.

I would recommend the HD Dry batter head. Tune it low and as you're hitting the center, detune the lug closest to you down until it you get it to where the pitch falls as it decays, but not too loose to where it starts "farting". Loosening the snare wires is also very key to getting this particular type of snare tone. Loosen the wires with one hand as you hit the snare center with a stick until the bottom end opens up and you get the desired amount of decay. If the wires are too tight, it actually shortens the decay, kills low-end frequencies and chokes the tone.

Oh ha, that's a heavy post-it note holder. It was within reach, as it sits next to the studio phone and I was too lazy to get up and find a drumweight or an o-ring or some moongels that I specifically paid money for to muffle snare drums with.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-f32a5b16-d81d-4be0-8022-c78d6ed3eda9_1.c0f9b5cd61184beb902da28d2ffd8ec7.jpeg  
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5364
Lives for gear
 
andychamp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
(...)Oh ha, that's a heavy post-it note holder. It was within reach, as it sits next to the studio phone and I was too lazy to get up and find a drumweight or an o-ring or some moongels that I specifically paid money for to muffle snare drums with.
Whatever works...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5365
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
That is my standard "crotch mic" position. I use it with a full kit or a stripped down one. It captures a nice balance of the whole kit and when you process it, you can get a really great character track to blend in the mix. I have added clips to my post, including the crotch mic, solo'd. The front lobe is pointing at the side of the snare. I crank up the SSL comp to max. threshold, max ratio and the fastest release. I also toggle the fast attack switch. Additionally, by enabling the "split" button on the EQ filter section, you can put the EQ before the comp. Then I filter some of the low-end out, to make the comp pump less. I think I had the HPF set to around 90-100hz. I'll have it higher or lower depending on the tempo of the song.

Those are actually HEDD192's! We do love Dave Hill gear though. We also have a Flamingo and a Summit EQP-200A.


I just updated my post with some clips. I'm a little self-conscious of my kick pedal making some sounds that you can hear in the drums only clips but they're not noticeable in the full mix.
Very Nice!
Thanks a lot!
Very cool stuff! Sounds great! Congrats!

so you're using the hedd "multichannel" into an AES interface..?



Cheu
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5366
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
I tracked some drums for a friend in Guatemala today. To make it easy, I set up in the control room, and ran the mics into the console channels nearest to me so I could do everything from my drum throne and not have to get up. I used my C&C 18x14 maple kick, 1960’s Roger Cambridge 14x10 parade snare and 16” and 12” hihats. I recorded the kick and snare first, then came up with different hihat patterns to loop.

Kick - D112
Snare - EV n/d408B
Hats - KM84i
Crotch - Royer 121
“Overhead” - Coles 4038
Sounds good! I like the kick sound you got from that 18" with one mic on it. Did you have to add a sample to that? The crotch mic sounds good.

It looks like your control room is small, no too much bigger than a livingroom, but it must be treated very well. I'm struggling to get a good sound out of my room and I've put up quite a bit of treatment. I still find myself having to "eq out" room boxy-ness.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5367
Lives for gear
 
andersmv's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
I tracked some drums for a friend in Guatemala today. To make it easy, I set up in the control room, and ran the mics into the console channels nearest to me so I could do everything from my drum throne and not have to get up. I used my C&C 18x14 maple kick, 1960’s Roger Cambridge 14x10 parade snare and 16” and 12” hihats. I recorded the kick and snare first, then came up with different hihat patterns to loop.

Kick - D112
Snare - EV n/d408B
Hats - KM84i
Crotch - Royer 121
“Overhead” - Coles 4038
That snare sounds super deep, nice job! I wasn't a huge fan of how it sounded until I heard the context, good call! I've got a 60's Ludwig marching snare that's 15x12 that I use a lot. I've never tried to make it that beefy, I might have to play around with it.

The studio I worked in a few years ago had a bunch of those EV mics you used on the snare. I tried them on toms once and wasn't a fan, that's really the only time I used them. Might have to keep an eye out for one to try on my marching snare! I agree about making sure the snare wire are looser though, I put one of the Trick multi step throw offs on my big Ludwig. Having the ability to flip through a bunch of setting fast on it has made that drum infinitely more useful and quicker to tune up.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5368
Lives for gear
 
thismercifulfate's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Very Nice!
Thanks a lot!
Very cool stuff! Sounds great! Congrats!

so you're using the hedd "multichannel" into an AES interface..?



Cheu
Thanks. We have the 8 channels of HEDDs running into 8 digital channels of an Avid HD I/O via AES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
Sounds good! I like the kick sound you got from that 18" with one mic on it. Did you have to add a sample to that? The crotch mic sounds good.

It looks like your control room is small, no too much bigger than a livingroom, but it must be treated very well. I'm struggling to get a good sound out of my room and I've put up quite a bit of treatment. I still find myself having to "eq out" room boxy-ness.
I take pride in almost never having to use samples. I sometimes use 2 mics on kicks, but on this particular kick drum I get a really workable sound with just the D112. For plugins I’m running a Waves SSL Channel (narrow lower mid cut) - UAD Neve 1073 (goosed the gain, trim the output, boosts at 60, 4.8 and 10khz), Kush REDDI for the low-end bloom and a Määg for some of that air band. The kick is also going to a parallel distortion on an aux with the snare top mic.

Our control room was designed by Russ Berger, so it doesn’t sound to shabby! Including the machine room it’s about 400sqft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
That snare sounds super deep, nice job! I wasn't a huge fan of how it sounded until I heard the context, good call! I've got a 60's Ludwig marching snare that's 15x12 that I use a lot. I've never tried to make it that beefy, I might have to play around with it.

The studio I worked in a few years ago had a bunch of those EV mics you used on the snare. I tried them on toms once and wasn't a fan, that's really the only time I used them. Might have to keep an eye out for one to try on my marching snare! I agree about making sure the snare wire are looser though, I put one of the Trick multi step throw offs on my big Ludwig. Having the ability to flip through a bunch of setting fast on it has made that drum infinitely more useful and quicker to tune up.
I originally got turned on to those mics because one of my favorite drummer Gavin Harrison uses them in his home studio. Sometimes they work really well on toms, but can be a bit dark. They do take EQ well. Their forté is their tight hypercardioid pattern - they reject bleed better than any other mic. I can put one on a singer for scratch vocals who’s standing just a few feet in our small tracking space next to the drums and get a jaw-dropping amount of isolation. They can also sound good on percussion, guitar cabs and bass cabs. And for drums they fit into tiny spaces for those drummers who leave no clearance with their really low cymbals.

Last edited by thismercifulfate; 4 weeks ago at 07:41 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5369
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
Thanks. We have the 8 channels of HEDDs running into 8 digital channels of an Avid HD I/O via AES.


I take pride in almost never having to use samples. I sometimes use 2 mics on kicks, but on this particular kick drum I get a really workable sound with just the D112. For plugins I’m running a Waves SSL Channel (narrow lower mid cut) - UAD Neve 1073 (goosed the gain, trim the output, boosts at 60, 4.8 and 10khz), Kush REDDI for the low-end bloom and a Määg for some of that air band. The kick is also going to a parallel distortion on an aux with the snare top mic.


I originally got turned on to those mics because one of my favorite drummer Gavin Harrison uses them in his home studio. Sometimes they work really well on toms, but can be a bit dark. They do take EQ well. Their forté is their tight hypercardioid pattern - they reject bleed better than any other mic. I can put one on a singer for scratch vocals who’s standing just a few feet in our small tracking space next to the drums and get a jaw-dropping amount of isolation. They can also sound good on percussion, guitar cabs and bass cabs. And for drums they fit into tiny spaces for those drummers who leave no clearance with their really low cymbals.
Did you use some hedd processing (or do you use them regularly) when tracking?

Speaking about hi end conversion..!!

Thanks again!



Cheu
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5370
Lives for gear
 
thismercifulfate's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Did you use some hedd processing (or do you use them regularly) when tracking?
I didn’t use them on these drum tracks. I was being lazy and the SSL channels are normalled into the Avid HD I/O so less patching fir me to do. However I use the hedds often for tracking, depending on the material. Recently I tracked a bluegrass group using 8 mics all going into the hedds, with the tape setting set to 5. It came out really sweet. I also use the first hedd to record hybrid mixes on the SSL back into protools and usually use some of the processing.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump