The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Yeah, I'll admit this was the most challenging of the series so far. The sheer volume made it a bit of work. Other sessions were much better in fidelity.

We record artist with lots of mic's too....this is just a fun, challenging thing to do.

j
That was a good recording, there's not much more that could have been done short of spending a lot of time trying some different cymbals (if available on hand) or working with the drummer. At that point, is it really worth the extra effort? Probably not, it is what it is. Take it or leave it!

For that style of music, it was dirty/vibey and worked great. When you do minimal mic'ing stuff with clients, most of them know what they're getting into already and know what to expect. If the clients like it, mission accomplished! Theres only so much you can do, and that recording was executed as perfectly as possible.
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Addict

ok. something more reasonable than the single mic -
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_0413.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_3729.jpg  
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
ok. something more reasonable than the single mic -
I would love to hear some clips of the kit with the A&F. Is that one of the shotgun snares?
Old 6th June 2019
RAA
Here for the gear
Tracking from few months ago

https://youtu.be/MyXBIdtiFiM
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
That paintbrush was so huge! What a cool mic. I have envy of that and the Sony.

And the kit was rockin too. Mid 70s Sonor Phonic, with a Ludwig 6.5 Supra, and Paiste 2002s.

Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
I love the Sony C38 on snare, outside Kick, and room!

Also on Bass guitar & Electric guitar.

Almost reminds me of a ribbon mic for some reason. Never hyped just great and musical.
here are the drums ... gotta fix some timing stuff but this is eq'd balanced and compressed
Attached Files

wake u drums1.mp3 (9.76 MB, 1992 views)

Old 10th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
here are the drums ... gotta fix some timing stuff but this is eq'd balanced and compressed
Sounds great. That room is really live. I'm curious about the overhead vs cymbal mic in theory and in this mix. Are the high 87s giving a lot of the ambience we're hearing, or is that from the room? Dod you set the two different pairs up with a plan to use one or the other, or to combine them?
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Guru

yeah sounds great!
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very yummy sounding indeed!

R.
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Sounds great. That room is really live. I'm curious about the overhead vs cymbal mic in theory and in this mix. Are the high 87s giving a lot of the ambience we're hearing, or is that from the room? Dod you set the two different pairs up with a plan to use one or the other, or to combine them?
Hey Tony, thanks it was my first time trying this I was going for what would Zep sound like today..with a nod to the past but not as washy.. I actually blended the 87's and my cymbal Mike's to get a relatively full drum sound without the close Mike's ...the room sound is a RCA paint brush that I did a parallel on..I eq' d one like a smiley face to get nice fat bottom and had it positioned between top of kick and rack about 12-13 foot away.the compressed track is pumping to all get out but I eq' it to roll at 2k so as not to pump the cymbals..then I just blended it..first time with the 38 on snare first time I used an re 20 out and d 200 in on kick.and paint brush too...cool thing it didn't need a lot to sound good..the kit was tuned well ..not wallets tape or anything no downward expansion..the room is plaster with wood floor no acoustic treatment..2400 sq foot..14 foot ceilings..pan is 3:30- 9 PM on the clock

Last edited by Sigma; 11th June 2019 at 07:08 AM..
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Guru

I was definitely picking up on the intentional Zep vibe! Good drummer.
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hey Tony, thanks it was my first time trying this I was going for what would Zep sound like today..with a nod to the past but not as washy.. I actually blended the 87's and my cymbal Mike's to get a relatively full drum sound without the close Mike's ...the room sound is a RCA paint brush that I did a parallel on..I eq' d one like a smiley face to get nice fat bottom and had it positioned between top of kick and rack about 12-13 foot away.the compressed track is pumping to all get out but I eq' it to roll at 2k so as not to pump the cymbals..then I just blended it..first time with the 38 on snare first time I used an re 20 out and d 200 in on kick.and paint brush too...cool thing it didn't need a lot to sound good..the kit was tuned well ..not wallets tape or anything no downward expansion..the room is plaster with wood floor no acoustic treatment..2400 sq foot..14 foot ceilings..pa In is 3:30- 9 PM on the clock
That's an interesting approach. I dig it. I might nick it someday. I suppose I need to start looking for one of those RCA paintprush mics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I was definitely picking up on the intentional Zep vibe! Good drummer.
For sure.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

@ Sigma

Those drums sound fantastic!

Now I’m lusting after a paintbrush mic, lol.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Those drums sound like they could just slide into a mix and be done!
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
That really sounds great!
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
These drums sound so darn good! Thanks for posting that clip!
Old 13th June 2019
Here for the gear
Did a track the other day for someone, and put up CS Black Dot heads on my toms on my Tama Starclassic Maple kit.

https://www.jottacloud.com/photo/3VA...y_MXZpxSngfmRg

I tried to embed a picture, but couldn't do it. I am new here, so maybe it is some approval thing?

Ev 308s on toms
SM57 top of snare
Full front head bass drum - Beta 52 and AKG D12 right outside the front head
Behringer mic on Gong drum
Oktave MK-012 overheads
Shure 565 on HH

Love this thread and thought I would add something here since I now am in a lot of testing and trial and error process regarding tracking my kit.

best regards,
Sturla,
Norway
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Stunning sounding drums. Well-tuned drums with a good drummer in a good room is a mesmerizing thing. Thanks for sharing.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
what's this change in snare sound at around 1min: different snare, sound replaced, different eq or pitch shifter? could be that it sounds fine within the mix, on its own, i don't like it much. the smaller crash sounds a bit thin and there's still a little bit much pressure on the hi-hat for my taste, but otherwise, nice!
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
what's this change in snare sound at around 1min: different snare, sound replaced, different eq or pitch shifter? could be that it sounds fine within the mix, on its own, i don't like it much. the smaller crash sounds a bit thin and there's still a little bit much pressure on the hi-hat for my taste, but otherwise, nice!
..one of the things I gotta fix it's a punch in where something weird happened in PROTOOLS.and untill I consolidated and created a new session I kept getting CPU usage warning and frozen screen..I know I'm fixing it today because I'm mixing the song this afternoon...funny I told the drummer the cymbals were thin like jazz cymbals and he said they were the Bonham cymbals set..I wasn't about to add 700 to fatten them as it woulda screwed the rest of the kit..they are flat ..451's
Old 13th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
Sounds like the classic, different takes and snare have lost tuning towards the end. It happens to me time to time

Lovely drums @ Sigma

KR
H.Hansson
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
..one of the things I gotta fix it's a punch in where something weird happened in PROTOOLS.and untill I consolidated and created a new session I kept getting CPU usage warning and frozen screen..I know I'm fixing it today because I'm mixing the song this afternoon...funny I told the drummer the cymbals were thin like jazz cymbals and he said they were the Bonham cymbals set..I wasn't about to add 700 to fatten them as it woulda screwed the rest of the kit..they are flat ..451's
I rather have snare tuning slips and human drag then any sampled, perfect, Protools, grid snapped, robot drums any day.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
I can feel that kick drum in my gut through my computer speakers! The drummer did a great job, I like ghost notes on the snare a lot. Well done! I wouldn't over think this, you captured a terrific sound.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
I rather have snare tuning slips and human drag then any sampled, perfect, Protools, grid snapped, robot drums any day.
I manually move stuff I'd never grid..might as well use a drum machine at that point
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I manually move stuff I'd never grid..might as well use a drum machine at that point

Yep yep, I know a guy that grid snaps and sample replaces everything. He’s a good mixer but literally every band he does the drums sound exactly the same.

Now he’s starting to use a Kemper with the same patches. Boring.

I will always Mic a cab with a tube head on top of it.

You can use the same snare with 10 different drummers and it will sound 10 different ways. I’ve used my Black Beauty on the last 7 recording projects because it just works well with the styles. The different drummers is what brings the difference in the sound of the snare.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Waiting for my next session. Slightly new set up.
Kick - RE20
Snare top - SM57
Snare Bottom - Octava MK-012
Hat Peluso CEMC-6
Rack Tom1 EV RE16 (was 421) experimenting!
Rack Tom2 EV RE16 (was 421)
Floor Tom - ATM25
Overheads Peluso P-12s
Front of Kit - AEA R84
Henry, What was your conclusion regarding the RE16 on toms?
Thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum View Post
Henry, What was your conclusion regarding the RE16 on toms?
Thanks.
I am not Henry but I have an answer.

I tried 2 or 3 different old EV Variable-D microphones on toms and it didn't work for me.

Simply I need that proximity effect on the low end for the tom sound I'm going for from a regular old cardioid or supercardioid microphone.

I bet the EV DS35 would work well for me since that one has proximity effect. I never had 2 or 3 of them at once though.
Old 4 weeks ago
500 series nutjob

Sigma, very nice boss!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
Sigma, very nice boss!
Thanks man..long time dude..BTW..I fawked up so bad. The guitarist is VG but no clue as to sound ..I tried, but I wound up with gtrs that had 600-1.5 of doom can you say nasal????.( Tracking control room has a sound I can't lock into) was mixing with the producer/ bassist...everyone liked what I did ( which I'm notating because wtf?? ) and we were supposed to do final tweaks today ..uhhh my ears cleared , I said "no F'n way".....I redid all gtr eq then the vocals and organ that worked with them..he goes don't beat yourself up..I said .."azzwhipe..you think I am rough on you guys when I go that sounds like azz or who the fawk was your teacher?..I know I'm a Richard but whatever sheeit I give you guys..I'm 100x's worse on me"
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This was a fun one. The idea was to shape and tune the kit around the RCA PB-90 as a low overhead. I dug out the old Rogers snare, tuned it pretty low and put an old drumhead on top as a dead head. I had the snare pretty loose as well since there wasn't a mic under the snare. The 30 inch Slingerland kick is almost always a given when using minimal mic setups.

All the other mic's were just there to add a little support. Vanguard Audio V4 in figure 8 to use as M/S with the RCA, V13 on front of kick with the pad and high pass on (Sounds SO good with that kick, you hardly have to do anything mix wise), AEA R88 as a close room/kit mic. That's usually just to add a little spread when I'm doing more mono drums, I blended it in a little bit but honestly could have done without it as the V4 was giving me a nice M/S spread.

The last thing was an experiment that ended up working really well. I took two Rode NT-5's and angled them at 90 degrees on the sides of the snare. I gated them and EQ'ed in some nice low end and snap and blended them in just a little bit panned out 50-50. I really didn't think it was going to work out as I hardly ever mic snare side or gate mic's, but it was amazing for this setup and the way I had the snare tuned.

Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-2019-06-20.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-2019-06-20-3-.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-2019-06-20-2-.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-2019-06-20-1-.jpg  
Attached Files

Kick Dog Drums.mp3 (1.14 MB, 436 views)

Last edited by andersmv; 4 weeks ago at 03:21 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search