The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
kick inside akg d200 e outside re 20
snare top sony 38 bottom 57
high overs 87's
cymbal mics 451 hat 451

rack tom re 10
floor toms d112"s

room 87 and rca paintbrush..wound up just using paintbrush
Yep the Sony got my attention ...love those. Btw, 87s look brand new . . are they?
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
Yep the Sony got my attention ...love those. Btw, 87s look brand new . . are they?
My buddies 87's ..overheads.. are circa 90's ..I tracked mine to 98..I got it for 1400 in an auction of a layback facility in NY..it was never off it's stand..not had the pattern or pad switches touched..lol..it was mint..I wait for good deals..mine is next to my Paintbrush RCA in the pics

Last edited by Sigma; 13th May 2019 at 07:20 PM..
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

@ Sigma , what parts of the kick drum‘s sound are the AKG and RE20 each taking care of?
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

The inside AKG is catching the beater , the beater head..and resonance of initial hit..the outer RE20 is sustain and rumble flap
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

I love the Sony C38 on snare, outside Kick, and room!

Also on Bass guitar & Electric guitar.

Almost reminds me of a ribbon mic for some reason. Never hyped just great and musical.
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
I love the Sony C38 on snare, outside Kick, and room!

Also on Bass guitar & Electric guitar.

Almost reminds me of a ribbon mic for some reason. Never hyped just great and musical.
Because of your post , I'm trying it on both acoustic gtr body and amped gtr tomorrow for this blues rock thing I'm co producing
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

C37 on acoustic guitar can be a really amazing thing. Underrated all round mic IMO. Sounds amazing on guitar cabs too.

It’s my absolute go-to mic for percussive strummy guitar parts when you need to soften them but still have the brightness poking through the arrangement.
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
C37 on acoustic guitar can be a really amazing thing. (...)
It’s my absolute go-to mic for percussive strummy guitar parts when you need to soften them but still have the brightness poking through the arrangement.
This, and the fact that it's also very popular for snare, make me think it might have some built-in tape sim and I should probably take a closer look at it. And start saving...
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because of your post , I'm trying it on both acoustic gtr body and amped gtr tomorrow for this blues rock thing I'm co producing
I have both the Sony C38 & C48, I think the C48 could be better suited for acoustic as the top end is a bit more open then the C38 but who knows the C38 could be the perfect choice for what your going for.

I’m always swapping out kik Drum mics depending on what sound I’m going for, I use

Yamaha MZ-204 for inside kik
Neumann Fet 47 for outside kik
Sony C38 for outside kik
Akg D12E for semi outside kik

For acoustic I use a Neumann U87 & km 84, & sometimes a flea 12 and or Sony C48.

For electric guitar amp a C38 is great.

I think the C38 is an overall great mic for pretty much all instruments, I can see it used on horns, guitars, bass, snare, kik, congas, drum room, etc...
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-b79f780a-d613-477e-a768-d45a2fd6c405.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-212732fe-b3ab-4647-9c98-5d7610d02ebb.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-b7e72af7-1964-49df-ad7b-b876d16a7ca8.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-48933ac6-cc3d-46ec-abce-57ceb456b7e1.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-d64bd8bf-b4fa-41b4-92c5-1aabefe7b38c.jpg  

Old 14th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Here are a couple pics from a recent session. Drummer is singing while playing as well as the keyboard player. This duo didn't want to use headphones so I pumped the audio thru a few small floor/wedge monitors. The snare sound was interesting because the drummer used a leather chamois over his Ludwig Hammered Brass, which you can see a little better in the second picture. They had a video person there too but I haven't seen any of the footage yet. Snippet attached below of a ruffmix. Drums come in @ about 25 seconds. This was a fun session. I like it when guys play live like this and just nail it.

I like that a lot. I can’t find them amongst the other Rose Room results on Google- have you got any links to their website please, Mr Cat?
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I have both the Sony C38 & C48, I think the C48 could be better suited for acoustic as the top end is a bit more open then the C38 but who knows the C38 could be the perfect choice for what your going for.

I’m always swapping out kik Drum mics depending on what sound I’m going for, I use

Yamaha MZ-204 for inside kik
Neumann Fet 47 for outside kik
Sony C38 for outside kik
Akg D12E for semi outside kik

For acoustic I use a Neumann U87 & km 84, & sometimes a flea 12 and or Sony C48.

For electric guitar amp a C38 is great.

I think the C38 is an overall great mic for pretty much all instruments, I can see it used on horns, guitars, bass, snare, kik, congas, drum room, etc...
That is one pretty looking mic collection!
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micoholic View Post
I like that a lot. I can’t find them amongst the other Rose Room results on Google- have you got any links to their website please, Mr Cat?

Thanks man. And no...sorry I don't have much on them. They are a newly formed duo. More of a collaborative side project for both the musicians in that clip. The drummer has another band which is doing quite well here in Colorado called "Banshee Tree" and the keyboardist is a session player in Los Angeles if I'm not mistaken. You should be able to find a little more info if you search RoseRoomMusic on Instagram though. They post pictures on their frequently.

Last edited by Funny Cat; 15th May 2019 at 02:29 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Here's a few photos of my budget-minded setup. Audix D6 on the kick, SM57 on the snare top, Samson CO2 on the snare bottom, 421 on the rack tom, and a CAD M179 on the floor tom. Hats are mic'd with an SM7B. Overheads are a pair of Røde NT-2's from the 90's and the rooms are a stereo pair of Cascade Fatheads running into an ART preamp and compressor.

The kit itself is a 70's Pearl kit and the snare is a Supraphonic.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-20190518_150806.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-photogrid_1558282353198.jpg  

Last edited by Codyh630; 4 weeks ago at 05:13 PM.. Reason: Fixing photos
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyh630 View Post
Here's a few photos of my budget-minded setup. Audix D6 on the kick, SM57 on the snare top, Samson CO2 on the snare bottom, 421 on the rack tom, and a CAD M179 on the floor tom. Hats are mic'd with an SM7B. Overheads are a pair of Røde NT-2's from the 90's and the rooms are a stereo pair of Cascade Fatheads running into an ART preamp and compressor.

The kit itself is a 70's Pearl kit and the snare is a Supraphonic.
Hoping that’s the new ART trans pre and comp and you’ve got samples!!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Snare > tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-974d9ed8-3db0-486a-a0e5-252f23a1c570.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
Snare > tape.
DM622, boom! I love the presence of that thing. Always wondered what two of those would sound like as overheads, I bet cool af. Never tried it yet.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
DM622, boom! I love the presence of that thing. Always wondered what two of those would sound like as overheads, I bet cool af. Never tried it yet.
I did a rcorderman once, with a 622 and a 635a.
Sounded interesting but would have needed some close mics for impact.
But nicely open, with a wooden quality to the tone.
Speaking of which:

Sorry ´bout the tangent. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Yes, not much meat in those DM622's, but a lovely sizzle.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, not much meat in those DM622's, but a lovely sizzle.
Although I found that, with a generous bass boost, there's more on tap than with the EV.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
definitely cool af along w the bk5 on snr w session yesterday.
Old 3 weeks ago

This is my basic setup in my one-room studio

Snare top: 57 just outside the rim
Kick in: AT2500DE dual element dynamic and condenser
Kick Out: SA-47 about a foot away
Front of kit: Reslo Beeb ribbon measured at 110 from snare centre
Overheads: AKG 314’s measured at 110cm fron snare centre
Toms: Sennheiser e604 on both racks and floor tom
Room mics(not visible in this photo) Un-matched Rode NT1A about 4 meters back up against the side walls

Last edited by javamad; 3 weeks ago at 11:09 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Let’s Mic this up!

I never seen a kit like this so I wanted to post it here.
I don’t Mic the bottom Toms but I’d certainly give it a try here.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-36639081-b6eb-4c76-8799-c1706991dcc7.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-09d587d4-b024-455b-b73a-7832704c9e06.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-a80bcc97-0392-4a04-813f-256a2a4a4cb0.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
1. Take an SM57.
2. Put it back in your mic closet
3. Throw the North drums in a dumpster.
4. Set the whole dumpster on fire.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
They look like they would sound horrible.
Or, perhaps a new kit for Blueman Group
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
1. Take an SM57.
2. Put it back in your mic closet
3. Throw the North drums in a dumpster.
4. Set the whole dumpster on fire.
Hahahahaha!!!

I take you have heard a kit like this before. Are you sure it wasn’t the drummer?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
They look like they would sound horrible.
Or, perhaps a new kit for Blueman Group
I was thinking,
Kik in, D12E
Kik Out, Fet 47
Snare top, Sony C38
Snare bottom, Sony C38
Tom & floor top & Bot U87’s
Stereo Overheads, U67’s
Stereo Room, M49’s
And maybe a MD441 to capture the bounce off the floor.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hahahahaha!!!

I take you have heard a kit like this before. Are you sure it wasn’t the drummer?
Yes and yes. If you like the sound tupperware makes then you’ll love north drums.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sorry, guys, these are Staccato, not North.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I had forgotten about Staccato. I don't think any kind of creative mic technique would help here.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
They look like concert toms left too close to a heat source!

Last edited by thehightenor; 3 weeks ago at 09:30 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search