The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio Condenser Microphones
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Banks View Post
Delta Blues session

Overhead - Coles 4038
Right room - AEA R84
Kick Out - Coles 4038
Kick in - Shure Beta 52a

All Focusrite ISA 828.
All room mics in phase with snare.

Didn't use the Coles on kick.
Did you have any phase problems with the B52 at the sound hole? I ask because that kind of a setup has created phase problems for me in the past.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Moon View Post
OH : M160 - VP26 - RND542 - Rosetta 800
FOK : Joly modded Ribbons in MS - ULN8
Room : Oktava MK012 (Joly modded, omni caps, spaced pair) - ULN8
Kick : MD421 - VP26 - BT50 - Rosetta 800
Snare : Sm57 - VP26 - BT50 - Rosetta 800
Toms : M88 - ULN8
Right Knee : M88 - Zod IDDI - ULN8

The room is pretty narrow but it sounds pretty good (I think)

I removed a few dbs around 450Hz with the MIO eq on the room and FOK going into PT, and I gated the Toms inside PT. No other processing involved.
Sound pretty cool, man,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
That sounds not half-bad. The snare rings too much for me - not sure how much of that is the room, or the snare itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Moon View Post
It's indeed the snare, but with a little eq and a wall of saturated guitar and bass, it's not really an issue to me.
Agreed, once there's other things happening, it won't even be noticed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Did you have any phase problems with the B52 at the sound hole? I ask because that kind of a setup has created phase problems for me in the past.
Nope, but of course I checked. I placed room mics first and only added the 52 when I noticed the drummer was very weak on the kick. The 52 just fell into place.

Most of the drum sound came from the 4038 + R84 room mics. The 4038 on kick wasn't working for me.

The drummer was barely tapping the kick and the rhythm was snare lead.

Cheers, Alex.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I spent 4 days tracking a punk rock band at Supernatural Sound Studio in Oregon City. I brought most of my snares, cymbals and my toms and we rented a 22x16 premier XPK birch kick and 70’s Avedis Zildjian 15” hats and 20” rock ride. We used the following setup:

All drum mics went through the preamps on the API 1608 console

1. Kick In - SM91 - 560 - LA22
2. Kick Out - RE20 - 560 - LA22
3. Sub - NS10 or C414B-ULS - 560
4. SnT1 - MD441 - 550b - Daking FET
5. SnT2 - SM56 - 550b - Daking FET
6. SnBt - MD441 - 550b
7. Hats - M160 - 550b
8. Crotch - Crowley & Tripp Naked Eye - 550b - Distressor
9. T1 top - RE20 - 550b
10. T2 top - RE20 - 550b
11. T1 bottom - KSM32 - Heritage 73EQjr.
12. T1 bottom - KSM32 - Heritage 73EQjr.
13/14. Room - 4038 - Heritage 73EQjr. - AlanSmart C2
15/16. OHS - Soundelux U95S - Avedis e27 - TubeTech Multiband Compressor

The birch kick with an Evans Onyx EMAD batter head gave us the tight, punchy tone we needed. The Beyer M160 might he my new favorite hihat mic, although I still love either an SM7B or MD441 there as well. I’ve truthfully never mic’d tons from both sides before, but I’ve sorta wanted to try it out. I’m really glad I did! The resonant side mics add an extra measure of hugeness to the toms and they gave way less bleed than the batter side mics. They wouldn’t work on their own at all, but combined with the tops (with their phase inverted of course) they sound massive. The Soundelux U95s are real gems for overheads. They’re almost as dark as coles, and take EQ just as well. But they have the benefit of being multi-pattern. I used the e27’s to add some sparkle with their lovely 28k band and the middle channel of the multiband to tame a bit of cymbal upper mid hash. The room mics were run through the C2 in crush mode, 4:1, 10ms attack and fastest release.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-718bbaff-065f-4891-9847-56f7fb9acf8f.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-ea8581a4-ead5-4ac5-9ec8-a961f5198554.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-94187750-ecec-416b-8f9e-cc40fe0ad328.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-9610421f-5869-49c4-b599-a3141814ff7c.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-4051d0cd-ae37-4ec8-bf79-a4da0f82e457.jpg  

Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-a36fe2b8-d82d-4a89-b81b-1bfbac08e6d7.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-65c12874-b729-49f6-86bb-fb366b3ad434.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
I spent 4 days tracking a punk rock band at Supernatural Sound Studio in Oregon City. I brought most of my snares, cymbals and my toms and we rented a 22x16 premier XPK birch kick and 70’s Avedis Zildjian 15” hats and 20” rock ride. We used the following setup:

6. SnBt - MD441 - 550b
7. Hats - M160 - 550b
9. T1 top - RE20 - 550b
10. T2 top - RE20 - 550b

The birch kick with an Evans Onyx EMAD batter head gave us the tight, punchy tone we needed. The Beyer M160 might he my new favorite hihat mic, although I still love either an SM7B or MD441 there as well. I’ve truthfully never mic’d tons from both sides before, but I’ve sorta wanted to try it out. I’m really glad I did! The resonant side mics add an extra measure of hugeness to the toms and they gave way less bleed than the batter side mics. They wouldn’t work on their own at all, but combined with the tops (with their phase inverted of course) they sound massive. The Soundelux U95s are real gems for overheads. They’re almost as dark as coles, and take EQ just as well. But they have the benefit of being multi-pattern. I used the e27’s to add some sparkle with their lovely 28k band and the middle channel of the multiband to tame a bit of cymbal upper mid hash. The room mics were run through the C2 in crush mode, 4:1, 10ms attack and fastest release.
That's about the most un-punk-rock kit mic'ing I've ever seen!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What did you think of the Naked Eye? That's one mic I could never really find a use for, it always just sounded a bit "off". Had a pair in one studio and tried to like them for a few years. Also loving the Snareweights, I've got an M80 that stays glued to my snares.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
What did you think of the Naked Eye? That's one mic I could never really find a use for, it always just sounded a bit "off". Had a pair in one studio and tried to like them for a few years. Also loving the Snareweights, I've got an M80 that stays glued to my snares.
At that particular studio I always end up using that mic as a crush mic for drums. It has a cool mid-range, and under heavy compression (trimming some low-end off first) I love how it picks up the snare drum. It also done well on guitar cabs for me alongside a 57 or 421.

Those snareweights are worth their weight in gold. I have 4 of the large ones and 1 small one. My moongels don’t see much use anymore.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
My moongels don’t see much use anymore.
I had a first last week when a drummer didn't like the snareweight and wanted gels, I realized I didn't have them anymore! We went on a lunch break and I grabbed some of those sticky hand toys from the dollar store. She was happy with it, but I still liked the snareweight....
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Here's my little contribution. I built this studio a few months ago. I bought the kit - a new Gretsch Renown.

Kick - RE20
Snare top SM57
Snare bottom - Octava MK-012
Hats Peluso CEMC-6
Rack Toms - Senn 421s
Floor Tom - ATM25
Overheads Peluso P-12s

Going into Metric Halo ULN-8s 3d. Sometimes Millennia HV-3D.
I’ve been considering a p-12 for a while now. How are they working for you on OH? Anything, or genre/style, they don’t do well as OH?

Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
I’ve been considering a p-12 for a while now. How are they working for you on OH? Anything, or genre/style, they don’t do well as OH?

Thanks
I haven't recorded every genre but I love them. I haven't had to EQ them at all. Not lately at least. The room is pretty good. Some are the Pelusos are bright. I don't know. They might be a tad. Maybe that's why I don't have to brighten them. The Peluso 22 251 was really bright.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Tracking for a youtube series. And also my guitar pig record.
Sonor kit from late 80s. Scandinavian birch shells. Nice attack, big bottom. Boom!
Some usual suspect mics, & one odd fellow.

Kick - D112
Snare - i5 top & bottom
OHs & hats - c451s
Toms - 421s on racks & D112s on floors
Single room - Shure 315

All through a combination of Neveish & API type preamps. Seems to be my go to anymore. The Shure 315 is a great mic. Re-ribboned by Clarence Kane. Huge! Sounds great on guitar amps too!

Don't know why some pics post sideways...
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_5644.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_5660.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_5646.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_5647.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Nice. I’ve found that when i save the photos they come out right, not sideways. I know it doesn’t make any sense. I’ve already saved them by renaming them. But if I just hit SAVE they don’t post sideways. On a Mac.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Mi kit
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_20190130_183507.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_20190130_171037.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_20190130_114844.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Kick akg d112 +subkick
Snare Up sm57
Snare down Sennheiser e906
Hit hat sontronics stc1
Toms 421
Mono overhead coles 4038
Overhead audiotechnica 4041
Front kit flea47
Room coles 4038

Yamaha recording (del 77) 24,13,14,16,18. Caja ludwig supraphonic
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I wanted a drum sound that was fairly mono with a lot of depth.
Went for a minimal setup, schoeps MK21 overheads with mkh30 on kick and sm57 on snare.
I've run the mix back through a tube preamp which I may undo, but I like the sound. No EQ or reverb added. I chose a room and we rented it.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-dsc01944.jpg  
Attached Files

drums sample after tube pre.mp3 (911.3 KB, 1225 views)

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

6. SnBt - MD441 - 550b
7. Hats - M160 - 550b
9. T1 top - RE20 - 550b
10. T2 top - RE20 - 550b

mother of god! ...so frekin awesome!!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippoorwill View Post
I wanted a drum sound that was fairly mono with a lot of depth.
Went for a minimal setup, schoeps MK21 overheads with mkh30 on kick and sm57 on snare.
I've run the mix back through a tube preamp which I may undo, but I like the sound. No EQ or reverb added. I chose a room and we rented it.
Curious why you went with two overheads if you wanted a mono sound?

I’ll m also pursuing the ultimate mono drum sound. Thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
Constantly changing, but this was a quick session with my custom Trick kit. I have two other toms from the kit not shown.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-1464568-l.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
Curious why you went with two overheads if you wanted a mono sound?

I’ll m also pursuing the ultimate mono drum sound. Thanks
I wrote fairly mono not mono aha.

Three reasons:
1.) I could choose one of the two in post if I really wanted strict mono.
2.) I find this setup to give me a more realistic sound with more depth and reverb cues than a mono setup, and I panned the snare and kick to where they are in the stereo field.
3.) This setup was chosen because both mics are not pointing at the snare but the snare is in the middle of the pair's stereo field. They are also wide cardioids which have less bass than omnis with very little proximity effect. This allows the snare mic and kick mic to have a distinct place in the overall sound, I wanted the least overlap between mics possible, which is how I try and approach recording anything.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippoorwill View Post
I wrote fairly mono not mono aha.

Three reasons:
1.) I could choose one of the two in post if I really wanted strict mono.
2.) I find this setup to give me a more realistic sound with more depth and reverb cues than a mono setup, and I panned the snare and kick to where they are in the stereo field.
3.) This setup was chosen because both mics are not pointing at the snare but the snare is in the middle of the pair's stereo field. They are also wide cardioids which have less bass than omnis with very little proximity effect. This allows the snare mic and kick mic to have a distinct place in the overall sound, I wanted the least overlap between mics possible, which is how I try and approach recording anything.
Thanks for sharing this
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Be kind, and let me pretend this one is a studio.

2x Line Audio CM3 OH, spaced pair
1x AKG D3700, kick
1x AKG D3700, snare

Edit: audio clips!
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-gbo_6435.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-gbo_6433.jpg  
Attached Files

dunk shoot drums draft.mp3 (5.84 MB, 747 views)

Old 1 week ago
RAA
Here for the gear
New live room at my studio.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-0c0d4a03-ff8b-4c47-9c92-448c4497c4b9.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-79ef9e7c-5224-4241-9e30-328bb8959d5e.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAA View Post
New live room at my studio.
Great looking space. Any chance we can hear a clip?
Old 1 week ago
RAA
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I’ll try and post one next week.
Old 1 week ago
Basement Live Room

Pearl Reference kit in my live room:
Audix D2 - rack toms (into 3124)
Audix D4 - floor toms (into 3124)
Audix D6 - inside kicks (into 3124)
AT4040 - outside kicks (into DM4800)
Shure 57 - snare top (into API Channel Strip) and bottom (into DM4800)
AKG451 - hat and ride (into DM4800)
AKG414 - OH (into 3124)
Neumann TLM49 - kit body (into Vintech x73i)
AKG535 - room (into DM4800)

My goal is to achieve a clean, punchy, modern-but-natural sound, without using replacements/samples.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-c1ed24d2-9429-4938-8110-53a3d66cf57b.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Pretty cool to see someone actually using 2 bass drums!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordgonz View Post
Mi kit
where's the other two tom mics?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
yea! that room looks AWESOME!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I used my other 70's 20, 16, 14 Premier kit for a session today and had originally only really bought it for the one larger rack tom. We just wanted a drum sound that was boomy and quite vintage sounding. Ludwig Black Beauty killing it as usual, and the cymbals changed for each song. We actually had no matching brands! Even in the other cymbals.

I didn’t dampen the bass drum internally as it sounded almost as I wanted with an EMAD and original reso head. Ended up jus taping some toilet roll to it
Not a drum sound for everyone.

Kick in - Audix D6 > API 312 > Wilkinson Debleeder > API 560 > SSL G comp
Kick Out - Blue Mouse > Calrec
 > Wilkinson Debleeder > API 560 > 1176
Sn top - Shure Beta 57 > API 312 > Wilkinson Debleeder > API 
560 > 1176
Sn Bottom - Sennheiser 441 > API 312
 > 1176
Hats - Neumann KM84 > Calrec

Toms - CAD M179s > API 312s
 > SSL G comps
OHs - AKG C414B-XLS pair > Neve 1073 > Pultec

Rooms - Coles 4038 > A-Designs Pacifica > Waves TG Channel

Some 57s behind the scenes on various surfaces > Wunders and APIs with a tonne of drive and crush on them.

This was my first time using the Wilkinson Audio gate as well. It was nice to tame the close mics so much, which let me use a lot more crush room mics. We just finished up for drum day one so there are probably some bad edits in the clip to go over tomorrow.

The whole bus is about -10dB API 2500 and I threw Soundtoys Devil Loc on it as well to open it up some more.

Sorry for the bad photos. My phone camera freaks out when it faces natural light.

Attached Files

Drum bounce .mp3 (2.23 MB, 411 views)

Old 4 days ago
Great sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search