The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio
Old 25th April 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

My friend just came by my studio with a really cool drumkit from Finland. Saari Drums. I've never heard about them before but thought they sounded really cool. Very thin birch shells that you can tune low but still with a great punch.
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-saari_1.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-saari_3.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-saari_5.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-saari_4.jpg  
Attached Files

SaariDrums_MWDrumStudio.mp3 (2.80 MB, 6904 views)

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderix View Post
My friend just came by my studio with a really cool drumkit from Finland. Saari Drums. I've never heard about them before but thought they sounded really cool. Very thin birch shells that you can tune low but still with a great punch.
They sound really great! The Coles really do a great job for overheads, as does the R88

Pretty looking too
Show replies
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumhead1957 View Post
They sound really great! The Coles really do a great job for overheads, as does the R88

Pretty looking too
Agree!
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's a beautiful kit! I have not gotten the chance yet, but I've been thinking of trying my R88 around there on a set, probably closer and lower to the kick. If you have a minute, I would love to hear it by itself.
Show replies
Old 26th April 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
That's a beautiful kit! I have not gotten the chance yet, but I've been thinking of trying my R88 around there on a set, probably closer and lower to the kick. If you have a minute, I would love to hear it by itself.
I think it sounds great both close to the kit or as a room mic. I've always liked AEA ribbons and often feel them very balanced. Here's a clip with only that mic. It did have some eq on the way in though.
Show replies
Attached Files

AEA_R88_SaariDr.mp3 (3.35 MB, 6564 views)

Lives for gear

Quote:
I think it sounds great both close to the kit or as a room mic. I've always liked AEA ribbons and often feel them very balanced. Here's a clip with only that mic. It did have some eq on the way in though.
Thanks for taking the time to do that, it sounds great! The next time I do some drums, I'm going to give that a go. If you spent some time tweaking it a bit around that position, you could get away with just using the R88 for a bunch of stuff depending on the genera. I'm on a mission lately to try and get away from using overheads, so this gave me a lot of ideas!
Show replies
Gear Addict

Austin local company, A&F Drums showing up more and more here. The best sounding new kits I've heard. The wild variety of snares in particular are amazing to mic up. Floor toms with snares on them too.... The big kick drum is not one of theirs, but that giant snare is, as is the whole kit in the next pic. They have air ports (I call them blow holes) on the side of each drum....putting a mic just outside of it on the snare is sooo great....
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_3729.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_3494.jpg  
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Thanks for taking the time to do that, it sounds great! The next time I do some drums, I'm going to give that a go. If you spent some time tweaking it a bit around that position, you could get away with just using the R88 for a bunch of stuff depending on the genera. I'm on a mission lately to try and get away from using overheads, so this gave me a lot of ideas!
Cool! I'm glad to hear. I just watched the console and they actually didn't have eq on the way in. I looked at the Coles channels before. If you have a chance, maybe listen to the Royer SF12 as well. A beautiful stereo ribbon as well.
Show replies
Old 30th April 2017
a pic i found today online from the band "night beats". a strange glyn johns configuration it seems. a SDC as mono overhead and a LDC (sony?) next to the floor tom. reinforced by other mics.
is it common to mix up SDC and LDC for glyn john method? anyone can help identify all the mics? they seem to be inspired by early beatles drum recordings.
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_1181.jpg  
Old 30th April 2017 | Show parent
Old 30th April 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Looks like a Sony on the floor tom side. U87 (maybe 67) on the room. Maybe a d12 or D20 on BD, hard to tell. KM56? on OH.
Show replies
Old 1st May 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Austin local company, A&F Drums showing up more and more here. The best sounding new kits I've heard. The wild variety of snares in particular are amazing to mic up. Floor toms with snares on them too.... The big kick drum is not one of theirs, but that giant snare is, as is the whole kit in the next pic. They have air ports (I call them blow holes) on the side of each drum....putting a mic just outside of it on the snare is sooo great....
looks cool , got any samples?
Show replies
Old 1st May 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Looks like a Sony on the floor tom side. U87 (maybe 67) on the room. Maybe a d12 or D20 on BD, hard to tell. KM56? on OH.
yeah, easy take on glyn john!
Show replies
Old 2nd May 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
looks cool , got any samples?
If you go to @anfdrumco instagram gallery, you'll see/hear lots of well recorded videos, by lots of players, and some from the factory/studio.
Show replies
Old 12th May 2017
Gear Guru

Earlier in the week I had to record a tom part on a record I'm doing. The drums were town down so I set up the toms and BD, but miced up just the toms. I though it would be cool to try my newish sE T2s on toms, but only have 2, so the second floor tom got the U87. The Overheads are MC012

I played with the Pro Mark Tubz in the photos

Show replies
Attached Files

Number 42 DRUMS ONLY_07.mp3 (2.96 MB, 5356 views)

Old 12th May 2017
Gear Guru

Since I had the condensers up toms and Overheads up, I set up a V7 on snare, e602 on BD and 12 Guage Black on room with an M201 on hats and recorded some playing to hear those mics more in context.

I played for a little over 7 minutes, just off the top of my head, trying to cover a lot of ideas. I hope people get something from it.

Show replies
Attached Files
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

Don't remember if I posted this before, but just stumbled upon the pics. Vinnie Colauita's kit. Tele M82 and iFet7 on the kick, CK12 414EBs on the toms, D19 on snare tops, 441 on bottom, 461 on the hat, CS1 overheads, M160s and 4038 for room.

Show replies
Old 26th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I'm not a drummer, so don't give me too much crap for the sound clip!

I had some down time and wanted to try a few experiments, particularly for an idea where I wanted 2 drum sets playing at the same time and panned L/R on a folky song. They needed to be somewhat simple and stripped back parts as I want to add some cool alt percussion stuff eventually.

Pretty much the same mic setup for each but with a different kick drum and different tuning on the snare. SM57 snare top and bottom, 602 inside the kick and a Kiwi outside the kick towards the top. R88 kind of over and off to the side (split diagonally across the kick towards the snare so they are both centered in the image). The two Rode K2's are room mics, this was a weird idea that ended up working out pretty well. They are both in figure 8 facing the floor/ceiling. The high one is against the ceiling cloud and is a bit more mellow sounding. The low one has a bit more air and high end to it. I can't remember, but I picked between them for each of the kits, so one has a darker room sound and the other has a brighter room sound.

The first setup is a gretsch 22x20 kick with a 60's ludwig 15x12 marching snare. I had the snare wire fairly tight and a little piece of foam on the snare top to kill a bit of the ring. This was the brighter setup overall, so I think I picked the high Rode room mic that was darker sounding to compliment it. The second setup I traded the kick for my 60's Slingerland 30x16, same Ludwig snare but the snare wire is pretty loose and I put a BFSD Doughnut on top for a more dead head sound. This was the darker setup so I used the lower Rode room mic that was brighter to compliment it.

There's a link to a sound clip below. The gretsch setup is panned Left and the slingerland setup panned Right. No EQ, just some compression on the master buss so it's pretty raw. Now I get to go through takes and do some doctoring because I have no freaking pocket!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1k...lXZEJBZmc/view

Show replies
Old 26th June 2017 | Show parent
Gear Head

Demos

Quick demo session today in my studio.

Yamaha Kit
24" Hybrid Kick
13" 80's Recording Custom Tom
16" Maple Custom Absolute Tom
14x6.5 Recording custom Brass Snare

16" Paiste Dark Energy Hi Hats
18" & 19" Paiste Masters Crashes
22" Paiste Dark Energy Ride
18" Paiste PST Swiss Crash

Kick Yamaha Sub Kick - API 3124+ Api 550A EQ
Kick Audio Technica AE2500 In - BAE 1073 Pre and EQ - Distressor
Kick Royer 122 Out API 3124+ - Distressor
Snr Top SM57 Granelli BAE 1073 - Urei 1176
Snr Bot SM57 Audient Zen - Great River EQ32
HH Neumann KM 84 - Api 3124+
HH SM7B Audient Zen - Great River EQ32
Toms Audix D2 - Audient Zen - Api 550B EQ
Floor Yamaha Subkick Audient Zen - API 550B EQ
Floor Audix D6 Audient Zen - API 550A EQ
OH Coles 4038 BAE 1073 Pre/EQ _ BAE 10DC Compressor
Room Close AEA R88 A Designs Pacifica 2 CH - DBX 160VU
Mono Room Far Neumann U67 - Chandler TG - Anamod Comp

Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 26th June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBStudioNut View Post
OH Coles 4038 BAE 1073 Pre/EQ _ BAE 10DC Compressor
Oh yeah!!!

BTW, how do you like the Anamod comp?
Show replies
Old 27th June 2017 | Show parent
Gear Head

Love it mate, Been using on my Vocal Chain too. Such a great little compressor!
Show replies
Old 27th June 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Sound great!
Show replies
Old 6th September 2017
Deleted e03114c
OH's Left and right Neumann U89's
Akg D112 inside kick
thats it.
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-fullsizerender.jpg  
Attached Files

U89 Drums.mp3 (1.78 MB, 3542 views)

Old 5th October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

R44 in front
Samar VL37 OH
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_1993.jpg  
Old 5th October 2017
Lives for gear

-Kit-
-1960's Slingerland Kick 30x15
-1960's Ludwig Marching Snare 15x12 (With BFSD Doughnut on top)
-14 inch Zildjian Constantinople hats

-Mics-
-Overhead: Joly Modded Octava MK-012
-Behind/Room: AEA R88
-Snare Top: Joly Modded Octava MK-012
-Snare Bottom: SM57
-Kick front/outside: Vanguard V13
-Kick inside: Sennheiser 602

I had just finished doing drums for another session. Heard the news about Tom Petty and decided to do a cover of one of his songs. The snare isn't right for this song, but I was in a hurry and just rolled with it:
Show replies
Attached Files

You Don't Know How It Feels.mp3 (11.02 MB, 3205 views)

Old 9th October 2017 | Show parent
This was a kick-ass session!

Kick in: Beta52A->1073->dbx 160x
Kick out: Solomon LoFrEQ subkick->API pre (desk)
Snare top: 57 (w/Crimson Yellow transformer mod)->1073->160x
Snare btm: 57 (w/Crimson Yellow transformer mod)->API pre
OHs: Violet Amethyst Vintage->API pre's
Hi-hat & ride: B&K 4011->API pre's
Toms: sE X1D ->API pre's
Crotch/würst: SM7b->API->1176
Rooms: 4038s->API pre's->dbx 162
Stairwell: Soundelux U195->API->UREI BL40
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-pa060031.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-pa060030.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-pa060028.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-pa060029.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-pa060027.jpg  

Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-pa060023.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-pa060020.jpg  
Old 11th October 2017
Here for the gear

Just had a sweet recording session at a friends place Panorama Tonstudio. The live room sounds great and the studio is equipped with a vintage console from an eastern germany ob-van.

Kick in: Audix D6 -> console
Kick out: Neumann U89 -> console
Snare top: SM57 -> API 512c
Snare btm: Beyerdynamic M201TG -> Vintage Siemens Pre
Hihat: Neumann KM184 -> console
OHs: Neumann KM184 -> AMS Neve 1073
Toms: Sennheiser MD421 -> console
Room: Haun MBC -> RME Pre
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-dsc00649.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-dsc00645.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-dsc00650.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-dsc00643.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-dsc00641.jpg  

Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-dsc00668.jpg  
Old 11th October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoison606 View Post
Just had a sweet recording session at a friends place Panorama Tonstudio.
Is that siren horn under the ceiling used for talkback?
Show replies
Old 11th October 2017
Here for the gear

No, there is an extra speaker for talkback. Don't know what they actually use it for. Maybe some reverb stuff..
Show replies
Old 22nd October 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoison606 View Post
No, there is an extra speaker for talkback. Don't know what they actually use it for. Maybe some reverb stuff..
It's a bit trippy and cool looking. Maybe it's just there for the 'vibe'.
Show replies
📝 Reply